• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC trivia

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was discussing purchasing a few parts for a Thompson Center rifle project from gentleman this evening on the phone.As the conversation was ending I mentioned a rifle I have been looking for for a few years and he laughed as he said he has five of them. That peaked my interest and during the conversation he told me he an even rarer rifle , a 58 caliber Hawkens.At first I thought he was discussing a Big Boar Renagade, but after some more talking he said it wasn't a big boar but a Hawken. I looked over all my catalogs and don't see it. Anyone ever encountered one ?

I have held one in my hands and seen pictures of two others. A cyber-friend in California had one of them & sent me some pix. Like you, when you tell people about it they think you're talking about a 54 Hawken stock with a Big Boar barrel on it.

A shop that used to be a couple miles from my house had a TC .58 barrel with brass ramrod pipes for years before he retired and closed up. I always assumed it was a Big Boar barrel someone had dressed up.
Either way I wish now I'd bought it and that Scout pistol he had.

Something was lost in the conversation then.
T/C did offer the Hawken in "big bore" that only meant that they had a stock with a 1" barrel instead of the common 15/16".
IIRC, it's was a 54 and 58 that was offered and marked as "big bore" with the Hawken stamp.
54 and 58 was also offered in the Renegade, but un-marked.
So maybe he has 1" Hawken stocks, with a Renegade or after market 58 bore.
That's not a far reach and easily possible.
p.s. I should add that the "big bore" stamped barrels where a slow twist, 1-60?

Last edited:
Something was lost in the conversation then.
T/C did offer the Hawken in "big bore" that only meant that they had a stock with a 1" barrel instead of the common 15/16".
IIRC, it's was a 54 and 58 that was offered and marked as "big bore" with the Hawken stamp.
54 and 58 was also offered in the Renegade, but un-marked.
So maybe he has 1" Hawken stocks, with a Renegade or after market 58 bore.
That's not a far reach and easily possible.
p.s. I should add that the "big bore" stamped barrels where a slow twist, 1-60?
So the Hawken barrels are or were marked as Hawken? Been so long don't remember if the one in the shop I mentioned had that on it. I picked up a 1" stock a while back to go with a Green Mountain .62 barrel. Might have some hens teeth to find now. Do see the .54s from time to time.

So the Hawken barrels are or were marked as Hawken? Been so long don't remember if the one in the shop I mentioned had that on it. I picked up a 1" stock a while back to go with a Green Mountain .62 barrel. Might have some hens teeth to find now. Do see the .54s from time to time.
Those "hen's teeth" are going put me in the poor house!

I was discussing purchasing a few parts for a Thompson Center rifle project from gentleman this evening on the phone.As the conversation was ending I mentioned a rifle I have been looking for for a few years and he laughed as he said he has five of them. That peaked my interest and during the conversation he told me he an even rarer rifle , a 58 caliber Hawkens.At first I thought he was discussing a Big Boar Renagade, but after some more talking he said it wasn't a big boar but a Hawken. I looked over all my catalogs and don't see it. Anyone ever encountered one ?

This should help you.
Larry

I own a TC Big Boar Renagade 58 caliber, but the one I was told about is a TC Hawkens model. I have three of the Hawkens models in 45, 50 and 54 caliber. Now I have another unicorn rifle to look for 😊

Cabela's Hawken (Investarms) offered a .58 caliber for a while in 15/16". It would fit in a TC stock.

I bought one of those Italian 58cal barrels a few years back. It wouldn't go in a 50cal Hawken stock & was right loose in a Renegade stock. Guess metric don't always exactly correspond inches.

TC did offer both the Hawken and the Renegade in 54 and 58 through their custom shop, Fox Ridge Outfitters.
Your choice of flintlock or cap lock. All came with a 1 in 48" twist and the QLA Muzzle System for fast loading.
The Hawken being 28" and the Renegade was 26" in length. Looking back now, I'd take one of each Hawken's.

P1050089.JPG
P1050086.JPG

Last edited:
TC did offer both the Hawken and the Renegade in 54 and 58 through their custom shop, Fox Ridge Outfitters.
Your choice of flintlock or cap lock. All came with a 1 in 48" twist and the QLA Muzzle System for fast loading.
The Hawken being 28" and the Renegade was 26" in length. Looking back now, I'd take one of each Hawken's.

View attachment 273196View attachment 273197
That's one of the old large catalogs. What's the date on that? And look at those prices from the custom shop even.

Latest posts

Back