• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gift/ I wanna build one to match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My grandfather in law gave me this old gun of his for my birthday. Said he bought it years ago when he lived in Kentucky intending to mount it over his fireplace.
As history goes he never did and the house burned down ages ago. He always had a liking for the blonde finished rifles but I never knew why, until now.
It has been fixed by who know who, just a wall hanger. I haven't the heart to take it apart and look for any makers marks but I would love to build him a copy so he has one to shoot and hunt with.
40 in. Barrel - I do not have a bore gauge, it measures 3/8 inch inside diameter so .36cal?
56 in. Overall length
LOP 14-1/2
Drop at heel 4 in.
Double set triggers
Back Action Percussion Lock
So I am no prefessional, definitely a greenhorn. If anyone has any good info on the stock style and general advice that might help me find either an appropriate kit or what have you I would REALLY appreciate any help. I wanna build one of these for my wife's grandpa.

Attachments

• 20240204_175011.jpg
    20240204_175011.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 20240204_174746.jpg
    20240204_174746.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240211_212626.jpg
    20240211_212626.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
You won't find a kit that will match it. Build from a blank instead. That is easier than building from a kit.

I think the back action lock was a later addition, the drum isn't supported correctly and it looks like it may have been inletted for a different lock at one time.
That is what I had thought, either a later date percussion conversion from a flintlock, or its been dropped and broken badly. The stock has been repaired and if I could take better photos you'd see it's been all busted up.

You won't find a kit that will match it. Build from a blank instead. That is easier than building from a kit.
I did find some really nice blanks from pecatonica I'm going to buy. And a lock from track of the wolf. I'll have to look around for a barrel and breechplug

I did find some really nice blanks from pecatonica I'm going to buy. And a lock from track of the wolf. I'll have to look around for a barrel and breechplug
You might ask Petonica if they would inlet the blank for the barrel and ramrod but leave the rest of the blank so you can shape the stock. If you haven’t done an octagonal barrel channel and drilled the ramrod hole before, that will leave you to focus on duplicating the other measurements. It wouldn’t really be cheating and gives you more freedom on the rest of the shaping. You would need to let them know you have a particular wrist design and a back action lock.

I think they could do that just inleting off the right side of the blank as you would do if building from scratch.

Back