• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Relined barrel proble

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve only removed the Hoyt installed breech plug on a couple of barrels, and what I found appeared to be teflon tape. No evidence of epoxy. Will be following this thread.
Paying more attention to the OP, it was about a relining, while my above post was only about a breech plug installed after a rebore. While a relining used to be done with solder, most today seem to be using a Henkel (Loctite) product or similar to install them. There is a good chance that is the residue you are seeing.

Just got a call from Mr Hoyt (I think it was him). Very nice gentleman indeed. He apologized for neglecting to check things before sending it back to me and told me to heat a pin and push it in the flashhoe to open it. He told me if that didn’t work to send it back to him to take care of it. He advised against using heat gun or torch.
I’ll try hot pin and will report the result!

I can't say this definitively to be the case but I've repaired quite a few firearms that were worked over by skilled gunsmiths that were just getting up in age and starting to lose their touch. It happens.
Of course sir. It happens to us all. Nothing to worry about. The gentleman will fix it. Will ship the barrel to him tomorrow morning. I just don’t have the proper tool to do it myself getting the breach plug off since my effort with hot middle didn't work! Thank you for your kind words.

I did my research before sending my barrel and I heard nothing bad about the shop so it’s not the end of the world. As a small shop and only phone for communication it’s rather difficult to get answer to phone call. Hopefully someone will return my call. I’ll get it open one way or another. Just surprised that no attention was given to make sure it was functional before shipping it back. Would rather not shipping it back to shop. By the way I didn’t mention shop’s name but was asked by a gentleman and I responded. Thank you
Good luck getting him to call you back . I had an issue with some barrels that I sent and called and left messages for him to return the call to ask about what happened with my barrel. I posted about what happened on this forum and the response was pretty much I was a blasphemer.

Just got a call from Mr Hoyt (I think it was him). Very nice gentleman indeed. He apologized for neglecting to check things before sending it back to me and told me to heat a pin and push it in the flashhoe to open it. He told me if that didn’t work to send it back to him to take care of it. He advised against using heat gun or torch.
I’ll try hot pin and will report the result!
Good deal , you were lucky. Glad he called you back.

Good luck getting him to call you back . I had an issue with some barrels that I sent and called and left messages for him to return the call to ask about what happened with my barrel. I posted about what happened on this forum and the response was pretty much I was a blasphemer.
Sorry about your experience. I just called several times and left detail message. He called me yesterday morning. Hopefully he’ll fix the barrel for me.

See post #5 for the answer.
Very Strange all I've heard was how capable Mr Hoyt is. Ide dearly love to get liners & such work done but half a world away in these anti gun times that's not so easy done . Kit Ravenshear gave me a 44 cal liner from some salvaged job once I fixed it into an old pitted 16 bore shotgun And despite its only rear sight being the hollow in the False breach (all you need really) Its been a great flint rifle . Jerry Cunningham or his friend Harrison once told me liners where an easy thing. Happen so but beyond my caprice . .Rudyard's take on the matter

"Jerry Cunningham or his friend Harrison once told me liners where an easy thing"
Well Rudyard,

Jerry Cunningham is a name I haven't heard for years. I'm assuming you're referring to the J.C. who once ran the Montana Rifle Barrel Company. If so, I used to sell his barrels. In fact at one time I'd heard he had told folks I was his Eastern Montana distributor. Lol

I did sell quite a number of his barrels back in the early 1980s. People were very satisfied with these barrels. I've got a couple of guns using them, good barrels.

Last edited:
Back