• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Smoothbore 56 cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pab1 said:
I was thinking of possibly using the .56 SB for some pack-in deer hunts where I may be in a wilderness area for a week or more at a time. If I tagged out early or have no luck with deer, I could use it for grouse, squirrel and bunnies.
I zeroed mine at 50yds using:

70grns Goex 3F
.58cal Oxyoke wonderwad
.015" prelubed patch
.550 balls

A real tight combo requiring a sharp rap on the short starter but very accurate...but I've since decided if I ever had one again I'd use .535 balls with thick or double patches

Pab1: You are going to be shooting a 1/4 oz. of lead out of that .56 smoothie, and at 1300 fps, it is plenty to kill deer, provided you understand that accuracy drops off rather quickly after 50-60 yards, depending on the load, sights, and barrel length. After all, you would not hesitate to use a .45 Colt Revolver to kill a deer inside 50 yards, and you put a lot less powder and get less velocity out of that revolver round than what you are expecting here.

The gun should primarily be used for small game, however. A 28 gauge shotgun is .550 in bore diameter. Sound familiar? What ever you can use a BP 28 gauge shotgun to kill you can use your new barrel to kill. Just remember that you are shooting a cylinder bore shotgun, with BP ballistics. That means its a 30 yard gun at most with most shot loads. Read V.M. Starr's article in Bob Spenser's website, " Black Powder Notebook", for loading data, and don't try to push it. For better patterns with these guns, less powder usually gives better patterns. Go to heavier shot to provide the extra pellet energy to kill small game cleanly.

Have fun.

Rebel, Colorado does not have a minimum gauge for turkey hunting. They have a 10-gauge maximum and shot must be #2 or smaller.

Paul, thanks for the information on Mr. Spencers site. There is some great information there.

pab1 said:
Roundball, have you used a 56 for turkey? What size shot do you recommend?
I use 80grns Goex 3F & 1+5/8oz #6s in a .62cal flint smoothbore for turkey.
I also have a .54cal flint smoothbore...70grns Goex 3F & 1+3/8oz #6s is the load I've settled on for it...and would use the same in the .56 if I still had it.
Copper plated #6s from Midway should add a few more yards effective pattern

I use 80grns Goex 3F & 1+5/8oz #6s in a .62cal flint smoothbore for turkey.
I also have a .54cal flint smoothbore...70grns Goex 3F & 1+3/8oz #6s is the load I've settled on for it...and would use the same in the .56 if I still had it.
Copper plated #6s from Midway should add a few more yards effective pattern
Over 50 caliber, why not 2F for rifle?

A former employee gifted the TC .56 S.B. to Camp Resolute, BSA God only knows how long ago and I just finished cleaning the rust from the bore. Will scope it and if I find no major defects, we’ll fire it with supplies I received from the Track of the Wolf website.
: .550 PrB rounds, start with 45 grains of Triple 7 RS (2F BP equivalent) and .05 lubed ball patch.

My advice?

Photo was first pass, two more cleaning sessions got to nearly clean patches. Bore now shines like a modern shotgun barrel.

Shooting stick or bench rest good n for Scouts.

Attachments

• 6719900B-A565-46D5-BE3E-28BE8FFD01AB.jpeg
    6719900B-A565-46D5-BE3E-28BE8FFD01AB.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
When Massachusetts and Rhode Island first established their separate muzzleloading seasons,it seemed that the game department people were anti rifled barrel. Both of our states have been shotgun only for deer for probably one hundred years or more. So with the suspicion of anything rifled, they mandated that the only legal muzzleloader for deer would have to be a smoothbore. So TC took their .54 caliber Renegade and took out the rifling, thus the 56 was born. Many people in this state and RI bought them to take advantage of the newly created season back in the early 1970's. After a while, the fish and game departments allowed rifling so they fell out of favor and out of production.
and it was A way to not have to register them in that anti-gun mass.

Have 2, one converted to flint. both locks drop right in. squirrels dont like it 60gr. 3f,1oz. #6. .535 patched ball not tight over 65gr 3f. , hard card over powder. deer droped quick max 50-70yd.

When Massachusetts and Rhode Island first established their separate muzzleloading seasons,it seemed that the game department people were anti rifled barrel. Both of our states have been shotgun only for deer for probably one hundred years or more. So with the suspicion of anything rifled, they mandated that the only legal muzzleloader for deer would have to be a smoothbore. So TC took their .54 caliber Renegade and took out the rifling, thus the 56 was born. Many people in this state and RI bought them to take advantage of the newly created season back in the early 1970's. After a while, the fish and game departments allowed rifling so they fell out of favor and out of production.

Hit the nail on the head. That being said, I’ve heard many positive things about the way the smoothies shoot. I wouldn’t hesitate to pick one up for the right price.

I currently own 3 & have repaired a few and given them to friends.
I think they are a wonderfully versatile firearm.
……& make great big fireballs!!View attachment 155527
I agree they are a blast (pun intended🤣) to shoot!! My favorite tc long gun.

Attachments

• F41CC3DF-74A4-4EBE-A42B-0EE5F721933C.jpeg
    F41CC3DF-74A4-4EBE-A42B-0EE5F721933C.jpeg
    330.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 839649DF-C3E6-49C1-91EC-2AC097D30133.jpeg
    839649DF-C3E6-49C1-91EC-2AC097D30133.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 50292E5F-AE77-4AD9-9C77-D07FB542D90A.jpeg
    50292E5F-AE77-4AD9-9C77-D07FB542D90A.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back