• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center .56

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one last year to shoot a smoothbore match. Didn’t have time to do any load development but maybe I should this winter if you guys are getting it to shoot good.

I bought one last year to shoot a smoothbore match. Didn’t have time to do any load development but maybe I should this winter if you guys are getting it to shoot good.
Haven't shot mine in a while but I'm thinking I was using 70 grains of powder and equal of mixed shot. Shot came from a bunch of old number 4 and 6 shotshells I cut down. I use sheep's wool for wadding over powder and shot and get purdy nice patterns at turkey range.

Didn't Pennsylvania originally go that route also. Seems like it was smooth bore and flintlock only??

PA's post-Christmas flintlock deer season has always allowed rifles .44 caliber and larger, AFAIK. However, it used to require patched round balls. That requirement was dropped at some point so conicals are now legal during the late flintlock-only season. The single projectile requirement remains. I.e., no buckshot.

If I am able to develop a suitable round ball load for my Caywood NW trade gun in time, I plan to use it for the flintlock season.

Side note: PA also now has an anterless-only muzzleloader season in October, during which caplocks and modern muzzleloaders are allowed. That's relatively recent.

Back