• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking at a .36 cal barrel for a T/C

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greasy_Jesus

32 Cal
Reaction score
My local gun store has some more old T/C stuff in stock. I dont own a T/C but he has a T/C Hawken Flintlock stock for $399.95 and Green Mountain T/C Hawken Drop in Flintlock .36 cal barrel for $499.99. These prices seem kind of high so I checked online couldnt find any except ebay which is selling one .36 cal barrel for $499.99 and a hawken stock for $399.95. This is where I assume he got those prices. On GB there are some .36 caliber rifles selling for $1000-$1800. Is it worth buying that barrel and stock ? Is a .36 cal barrel (Flintlock) rare for a T/C rifle ? Kiblers are also north of $1000. I know investarm makes the Sante Fe Flintlock .36 but those Italian rifles are cheap. I had a Traditions Kentucky .50 Flint and it was garbage. Just seeking some input. I have done too much pondering and it clouded my mind... lol.

That is highway robbery my friend. Yes there is some rarity in a .36 caliber flintlock rifle drop in barrel for a T/C Hawken but not $500 rare. Put it this way you'll have lets say $900 before sale tax so lets just go with $1000 into a Thompson Center Rifle. $300 more and you can a Kibler SMR kit taxes and shipping included. AZ Muzzleloaders has had a .36 caliber short rifle for sale for some time it is listed for $1400. You could be able to work a deal with him and have a higher quality rifle than a 40 year old T/C throw together. Whoever your gun store owner is he doesnt seem very smart. $1000 is a Pedersoli for gods sake. As for the Sante Fe Investarms rifle I havent a clue as I have never used one. I have a small flintlock .25 caliber I built myself when I was in highschool that I go squirreling with but 9.5/10 I am laying them rats low with my Brown Bess Musket. Bad deal I wouldnt consider it you'll regret it.

@Greasy_Jesus, that price seems to be way too high for all the reasons stated above. Having a rifle of the configuration offered at the local gun store would result in a very heavy rifle that will be hard to handle. Much better off with a better balanced and better handling rifle. The Kibler would be best and a Pedersoli next unless a good used rifle was available.

Last edited:
I am thinking that the same gun store the op is shopping at and the one on ebay are the same parts since the price is the same and not many T/C flint stocks or barrels available especially in 36

If it interests you, just sit back and watch it. It may or may not sell. The gun shop may get tired of it "sitting around" and make a deal on it after a while. Probably came from a collector/hunter/shooter who passed to the other side and his family auctioned off all his possessions. I'm confident the GS has very little invested in it.

Agree with the others, too salty for a TC and those Green Mountain barrels are nice but not worth their weight in gold. Also agree that the odds of finding both of those on Evilbay and a shops rack at the same time for the same price line up to be the same seller. For that kind of money you could get into something like this which is still small enough to be a squirrel rifle.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/custom-40-flintlock-maker-beryl-sink.166972/
.32 and .36 flint rifles pop up in the classifieds fairly often. Prob still some available if one were to look back a ways in the posts.

Latest posts

Back