• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C rifle barrels labeling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,

When did T/C start putting the “For black powder or Pyrodex only” warning on Renegade or Hawken barrels? Also, my understanding is that (except for at the very start) T/C rifles are made in Italy (by Investarms?) If so, why do they not have any Italian proof marks on the barrels? Or do they, and my (new to me) Renegade just doesn’t?

Thanks!

‘Poet

There are no Italian proof marks on my 1983 T/C Hawken kit. Only Rochester, New Hampshire, home of the T/C plant at the time (BF) b.
IMG_1501[12].jpg

Last edited:
So T/C’s were American-made until they stopped making sidelocks?
That question is too broad,
Thompson Center's line of traditional guns where all made in the USA. They did begin offering in-line and modern firearms while they were still offering the traditional guns.
Some outsourcing of components for the in-line and modern offerings may have been done.
But again, all of the traditional line where made here in the USA.
Get it?

I do. Thanks, necchi. I was misinformed. I thought that traditional-style T/C barrels, locks, etc., were originally American-made, but then shifted to Italy (bad parallel, but kind of like the original CVA Mountain rifle barrels, etc. before they started coming from Spain). Any idea why T/C chose a coil spring for their locks rather than traditional flat springs?

I do. Thanks, necchi. I was misinformed. I thought that traditional-style T/C barrels, locks, etc., were originally American-made, but then shifted to Italy (bad parallel, but kind of like the original CVA Mountain rifle barrels, etc. before they started coming from Spain). Any idea why T/C chose a coil spring for their locks rather than traditional flat springs?
The coil spring lock was one of the primary design collaborations that T/C and InvestArms shared. That's why T/C and InvestArms lock parts kind of / sort of interchange. Most common swaps are the InvestArms hammer and frizzen for the T/C parts. That may be part of the speculation that T/C parts were made in Italy.

T/C wanted a modern (?) lock that was cheaper to manufacture than an old design flat spring. They made the claim that performance was improved by the coil spring. Not really, but it is a more modern lock design.

Any idea why T/C chose a coil spring for their locks rather than traditional flat springs?
No I don't really,,I guess I always thought it had to do with patent issues and "new" engineering designs of the era. The geometry and function certainly have stood the test of time. I think the change had to do with the known of late 19th and early 20th century firearms using leaf springs that failed over time,, along with newer steel alloys and manufacture techniques,, 🤔
Just a progression,,

The coil spring lock was one of the primary design collaborations that T/C and InvestArms shared.
Now, "collaborations", I think is the wrong term here,,
That would indicate that they worked together. I'm pretty sure that's wasn't the case.(at least in a legal manner) Maybe,, American and European patents happening about the same time??
I'll bet a couple guy's got rich off the idea,,

Last edited:
Both companies took advantage of the untimely demise of Robert Tingle who developed and manufactured a very similar coil spring lock in the 50's and a single shot pistol with same handling feel and pointability of an 1851 Colt navy also using coil springs. Both took many of the lock designs and Italian companies started producing and almost interchangeable pistol.

I think the demise of the TC sidelocks had to do with higher priced American wages that it took to produce those guns. Towards the end TC Hawkens were pretty pricey compared to the foreign competition. Greg

Back