• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WITHDRAWN Looking for a T/C Hawken .50 caliber barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I measured across the bore, pretty sure it is showing as 7/8's, IIt is stamped with Hawken. Possible I am mis-measuring? I don't have a caliper to go flat to flat, I am measuring across the bore.

Attachments

• 20240122_102126.jpg
    20240122_102126.jpg
    903.3 KB · Views: 0
I have one, 15/16" 50-cal perc, but ... my brother borrowed it and I'll have to see if he's going to use it, or not. Hold on ....
Thanks, would be great if available and I get to the bottom of the size being 7/8 vs. 15/16. Hoping I just measured wrong.

Actually, I just put the barrel directly in the vice and measured between the vice faces an looks to be 15/16's.

I really appreciate the help here! Would not find this level of knowledge anywhere else!

I measured across the bore, pretty sure it is showing as 7/8's, IIt is stamped with Hawken. Possible I am mis-measuring? I don't have a caliper to go flat to flat, I am measuring across the bore.
It is difficult to see that 1/16" difference with a tape measure. I would say with 99% certainty that you need a TC Hawken 15/16" 50 caliber percussion barrel. As stated by WaarP8nt the TC Hawkens were 15/16" in 45 and 50 caliber and 1" in the .54 caliber from the factory.

Thanks,
O.R.

Last edited:
Actually, I just put the barrel directly in the vice and measured between the vice faces an looks to be 15/16's.

That's how an octagon barrel is measured -- across the "flats" (and not point-to-point).

...Hope the vice had padded jaws...

(Been then, you'll be getting another one anyway...)

Old No7

That's how an octagon barrel is measured -- across the "flats" (and not point-to-point).

...Hope the vice had padded jaws...

(Been then, you'll be getting another one anyway...)

Old No7
No pads, but figure its toast so no too concerned. I ruined it due to my negligence a long long time ago. Now I want to get back into BP and trying to get the rifle functional once again. Thanks,

No pads, but figure its toast so no too concerned. I ruined it due to my negligence a long long time ago. Now I want to get back into BP and trying to get the rifle functional once again. Thanks,
If the bore is ruined from negligence it can be brought back to life with a rebore to say 54 caliber (assuming you have a 50) for $150 or so, though prices may have gone up a bit since last one I had done.

I hate to admit how I ruined it, but here it is. I made a real dumba$$ move probably 30 or a little more years ago. After hunting, I did not discharge the gun and put it away. I don't recall if I planned on going out again but for whatever reason the patched ball and powder remained in the gun. Relocated to where I did not have a place to hunt or shoot and gun sat in its case. I joined a shooting club last year, and it has nice outdoor ranges. Getting board of the 9mm and want to shoot something else and maybe get hunting again. I pulled out the Hawken and it dawned on me what I had done. After sitting with penetrating oil for quite a long time I have been unable to pull the ball, or even get the nipple off. Kind of sick over it as my brother bought the gun when I went away to the AF, came home for Christmas leave and it was gifted to me. A local gunsmith said he was unable to help, and I can't send it anywhere to have it worked on due to the powder in it. A poster had a beautiful TC Hawken on here last week for a great deal, I think $325 and was thinking about it, but not the same as getting my gun going again.

I hate to admit how I ruined it, but here it is. I made a real dumba$$ move probably 30 or a little more years ago. After hunting, I did not discharge the gun and put it away. I don't recall if I planned on going out again but for whatever reason the patched ball and powder remained in the gun. Relocated to where I did not have a place to hunt or shoot and gun sat in its case. I joined a shooting club last year, and it has nice outdoor ranges. Getting board of the 9mm and want to shoot something else and maybe get hunting again. I pulled out the Hawken and it dawned on me what I had done. After sitting with penetrating oil for quite a long time I have been unable to pull the ball, or even get the nipple off. Kind of sick over it as my brother bought the gun when I went away to the AF, came home for Christmas leave and it was gifted to me. A local gunsmith said he was unable to help, and I can't send it anywhere to have it worked on due to the powder in it. A poster had a beautiful TC Hawken on here last week for a great deal, I think $325 and was thinking about it, but not the same as getting my gun going again.
Where in NC are you located? Might someone nearby that could help. To be honest with you, the barrel is most likely salvageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back