• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken Stock - No Cheekpiece?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiteeagle58

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a T/C Hawken in a trade. I've owned a few of these rifles, but this particular rifle has no cheekpiece. It started life as a kit (K prefix in serial number, the letter 'K' stamped in the barrel channel and in the lock mortice. I suspect the builder sanded the cheekpiece off, but it was done so well that I was wondering if T/C made a few like this. It is a later rifle, as evidenced by the newer style of adjustable rear sight and the barrel markings (warning label). Thanks for any input!

I recently acquired a T/C Hawken in a trade. I've owned a few of these rifles, but this particular rifle has no cheekpiece. It started life as a kit (K prefix in serial number, the letter 'K' stamped in the barrel channel and in the lock mortice. I suspect the builder sanded the cheekpiece off, but it was done so well that I was wondering if T/C made a few like this. It is a later rifle, as evidenced by the newer style of adjustable rear sight and the barrel markings (warning label). Thanks for any input!
Some folks find the TC Hawken stock to be a real cheek slapper and reduce or remove the raised cheek piece. Nothing that strange about it.

Last edited:
Perhaps whoever put the kit together was a southpaw, but that removal to eliminate cheek slapping sounds like a real possibility. I get that a left handed shooter wouldn't get cheek slapped shooting a right handed gun with a cheek piece but it might get in the way in some other fashion, or maybe just an appearance thing. Unless you know who took the cheek piece off it will likely remain a mystery. I'd be curious to know how it looks.

Most folks who've shot T/C Hawkens, especially the early ones, know about cheek slapping.

Last edited:
I'd be curious to know how it looks.
I'm in the middle of a complete restoration, refinishing the wood and metal. The bore is, I'm elated to say, perfect. The rest of the rifle looked like an old locust fence post. I'll post some pic's later this week when she's all back together.

Perhaps whoever put the kit together was a southpaw, but that removal to eliminate cheek slapping sounds like a real possibility. I get that a left handed shooter wouldn't get cheek slapped shooting a right handed gun with a cheek piece but it might get in the way in some other fashion, or maybe just an appearance thing. Unless you know who took the cheek piece off it will likely remain a mystery. I'd be curious to know how it looks.

Most folks who've shot T/C Hawkens, especially the early ones, know about cheek slapping.
I shoot left handed and my first rifle was a TC Hawken. That was an early one and it never gave any discomfort. At one match we all had to shoot a target with the opposite shoulder, it was a challenge but gave me no slap.
Reshaping the cheek piece for cosmetic reasons is common so removing one would seem probable.
IMG_0826 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

I shoot left handed and my first rifle was a TC Hawken. That was an early one and it never gave any discomfort. At one match we all had to shoot a target with the opposite shoulder, it was a challenge but gave me no slap.
Reshaping the cheek piece for cosmetic reasons is common so removing one would seem probable.
I've not experienced any cheek slap with any of the ones I've owned. I personally like the cheekpiece, but we'll see how this one does without the cheekpiece. Who knows, I may end up preferring it!

You did a very nice, excellent, job of reworking these guns. They are beautiful.

Some folks find the TC Hawken stock to be a real cheek slapper and reduce or remove the raised cheek piece. Nothing that strange about it.
I have a mid 70's Hawken that I shoot LH. It is a major cheek slapper. Worst face beater I've ever shot. But boy is it accurate .

It is pretty easy to get rid of the high comb and reshape the cheek piece, I have done it a couple of times.

I reshaped the stock on top and am about to do the same on the bottom stock.

stock comparison.JPG

Last edited:
If you load 80 grains or so of black powder over a 370 gr. Maxi-ball and shoot it from a bench. That is where the cheek slapping was evident in mine back in the 70's and early 80's. It was like Mike Tyson hit you in the cheek bone (almost). Off hand with a round ball and cheek slapping was no problem.

Bob

My favored 370 maxi load in my "conical period" was 100 grains of goex 2f. I shot it benched and offhand. No cheek slap. But, not all cheeks, faces and shooting styles are the same.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, how does it work for you lefties? Does the ignition blind/affect you? Was just visualizing having rifle on the other shoulder and squeezing one off.....

Latest posts

Back