• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thimbles under T/C Hawken barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a rail under my T/C 50 cal Hawken that has 2 brass thimbles attached for the ramrod. Are these thimbles removable? I would like to re-blue the barrel eventually with the brass removed.

They use just about the smallest wrench in a set of Allen wrenches & sometimes feel like yer gonna wring it off before they decide to turn loose.

Get a harbor freight magnetized ash tray looking bowl, worth every penny to avoid the archeological dig in your shop looking for those dam tiny screws! an old speaker magnet works too!
i have 3 of them. filled with broken springs, and iron filings from draw filing! also have a couple cow magnets strategically placed about. they look like hedge hogs with iron filings.
did I ever tell you guy's I am a slob? need to dedicate a week to cleaning and putting stuff away.

i have 3 of them. filled with broken springs, and iron filings from draw filing! also have a couple cow magnets strategically placed about. they look like hedge hogs with iron filings.
did I ever tell you guy's I am a slob? need to dedicate a week to cleaning and putting stuff away.
If you do that... you'll never find anything!

I have a rail under my T/C 50 cal Hawken that has 2 brass thimbles attached for the ramrod. Are these thimbles removable? I would like to re-blue the barrel eventually with the brass removed.
As others have said, removable with access through thimble. Sometimes the screws will be Allen head, other times slotted. Suggest you don’t attempt removing the screws until actually necessary for what you are doing. I have experienced screws with improper tempering and their heads shattered when attempting to remove them. I have experienced this with TC thimble screws, rib screws and locks screws. Just a word of caution.

As others have said, removable with access through thimble. Sometimes the screws will be Allen head, other times slotted. Suggest you don’t attempt removing the screws until actually necessary for what you are doing. I have experienced screws with improper tempering and their heads shattered when attempting to remove them. I have experienced this with TC thimble screws, rib screws and locks screws. Just a word of caution.

Yep. As much as I love my TC's they sure picked some odd things to cheap out on. Screws that are either too soft or too brittle and the overuse of hot melt glue instead of having a little tighter tolerances when fitting parts to the stock are probably my two biggest pet peeves with them.

And why they use the Smallest Allen head size I mean it’s almost a wire size Allen wrench. Amazing what these manufacturers do. P..S You may want to spray or drip them with a little break free first and let them sit for a little before trying to crack them loose.

And why they use the Smallest Allen head size I mean it’s almost a wire size Allen wrench. Amazing what these manufacturers do. P..S You may want to spray or drip them with a little break free first and let them sit for a little before trying to crack them loose.
Yes, what Tenring said, and a bit of well placed heat from a torch before you drop the Kroil helps too!

O.K. Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions. Here is what I found out... a fat headed slotted screw holding the rail to the barrel at the muzzle, 2 mm allen screws holding the thimbles to the rail, and a conical head screw holding the rail to the barrel at the breech end. Thankfully none of these screws were overly tight. I got them all to move without breaking any.

Back