• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40 Flint said:
My problem w TC Hawken accuracy had to do w the bead front and u notch rear sights. I just couldn't get a consistent sight picture. Square sights work much better for me.

By the way I use FFg for everything including .36 and .40 flintlock. Seems to work ok as the .40 won 2015 Texas Flintlock Championship and used FFg in everything to win 2017 Texas ML Pistol Agg (25 and 50 yards each w any pistol, revolver and flint pistol).

Wade Ingrham (Ingrham Underhammer) pistol maker shot 2f exclusively) in his pistol's.

Had to miss Brady this year due to major hail damage, first year in many I have not placed in pistol.

As has been alluded to, sights are simply a matter of what the eye likes to look at.
Swapping out the sights ,possibly for the T/C patridge sights (usually found on the Renegade),would be your way to go.

I TOLD YOU TO GET BACK TO ME. YOU DIDN'T.
IN THE MEAN TIME, ANOTHER TRIP TO HE HOSPITAL TELLS ME TIME MAY BE RUNNING OUT SO
IF YOU SEND ME AN EMAIL AT

[email protected]

I'LL SEND YOUMY COMPLETE ACCURACY SYSTEM, NO CHARGE, WHICH MAY ANSWER THAT WORLD OF QUESTIONS YOU PRESENTED TO HE FORUM.

DUTCH SCHOULTZ

THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF PRETTY GIRLS LURKING IN HOSPITALS.

Dear Hog, Sir,
If you've been learning from various web sites for years, I am pleased, but I regret that you have missed the extravaganza of the entire hundred or so page book with its few colored pictures yet no nubile native dancing girls. Your post is like someone admiring a Lexus because of its door handles.
Thank you for the kind words.
Dutch

Thank you Cowboy,
The odd thing is thatI feel relatively good but every couple of days something crumbles and Off to a hospital or some other medical facility. Friday, for instance at the Dialysis place they couldn't tap into my circulatory setup because one line was corked so I had to go get it uncorked , whole nine yards . it was like having a heart attack in your arm

Wednesday I spent a night in a Hospital with a false alarm Heart Attacck..

You begin to want the thing to be over with.

I feel guilty about the good wishes

Dutch the Whiner

My TC Hawken likes a 44o ball over 70 grains of 2F Triple Seven. I questioned the guy I bought it from about the use of Triple seven, but he sent me a one hole target so I tried it and liked it.

I competed in a lot of light bench and cross stick shooting over the years. The best I have ever seen out of a stock TC hawken was a 3 inch group at 100 yds. That guy really knew what he was doing and shot the gun just to prove to the owner that it was "not that bad" While the barrels are not the best for fine accuracy, they will do the job. The stock sights on the hawkens were terrible. On my first, only and last TC hawken, there was a lot of side to side play on the rear sight where it was hinged to the base. The front sight would cover the black at 100 yds and then some, so shooting had to be a 6 o clock hold deal. I changed sights on my hawken and groups shrank immediately to about 5 inches at 100 yds and I did get it down to about 4. I bought a replacement barrel and put real fixed target sights on it and finally got down to about 1.5 inch five shot groups at 100 yds. (had a few smaller when the universe was right) When my eyes started getting old, I mounted a tang sight on it and stayed with small groups for few years longer.

bubba.50 said:
when ya get done tryin' everything else get some maxi-balls, lube them good & try them over 60 or 70 grains of powder.

I agree with bubba! Give the Maxi's a try, I personally would use an over powder wad, I swear by sealing the gasses behind the bullet the best you possibly can, i would use either wool felt, or .060 Vegetable fibre wads

Shot my Hawken again today in near perfect weather. I got 5-shot 2.5" groups at just under 50 yards. I want to try 3F powder fairly soon.

I don't know who you were addressing the question about which tang sight is preferred but i'll reply that I preferred the Lyman ML67 rear aperture adjustable tang sight in companion to their Globe front sight.

Dutch Schoultz

I agree with over powder wads. My Lyman was a 6" group rifle until I started using them.

At first I just used the Oxyoke lubed wads and got groups down by almost half. Then I put a card wad on top of the powder and a the Oxyoke on top of that, then the bullet. Groups shrank a LOT.

I also size the bullets to the bore and use 80-100gn to make sure they 'bump up' into the rifling. I have not had good luck with 'engraving on loading' type bullets.

PS these days I would prefer the Williams sight with the gib lock screw (my Lyman has the Lyman 57 sight).

Back