• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103
Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tc45dave

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Still working on improving my Hawken .50 groups at 50 yards. This target shot with 60 grs of OE 3f and Flintlocks LLC patches. This is one of my better groups. These patches ram down the barrel easier than larger Ox-Yoke patches.

Attachments

• 50 Yd Target OE 3f and Flintlocks patches Forum.jpg
    50 Yd Target OE 3f and Flintlocks patches Forum.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 7
Forearm on a rest. Buttstock not on rest but I had it pretty secure in my arm which was on a shooting bag. I would like to try again with a better buttstock rest.

I tried 2F but did not get any better group. I am working on making a solid buttstock rest. Based on my experiments, the patch makes a big difference in group size. I get better groups using ticking patches. I have SWISS 3f, Olde Eynsford 2f and 3f, and Goex 2f to use.

Looks like you are getting there. Check your patches after you shoot and make sure there are not any tears or burn throughs. Ultimately when everything is right, including the shooter, you should be able to get one ragged hole at 50yds.

Dutch Schultz’s book has helped me a lot. Highly recommended-I’m not there yet, but I have made progress. His info on patches seems very good, IMHO.

If you have to use a buffer between powder and ball you have other problems. You should be able to find the right patch, ball, and powder combination to give better accuracy than what you are getting. Sometimes it takes a lot of shooting or some lapping to smooth out a bore to get good results. As mentioned, hunt up the fired patches and see how they look.

Still working on improving my Hawken .50 groups at 50 yards. This target shot with 60 grs of OE 3f and Flintlocks LLC patches. This is one of my better groups. These patches ram down the barrel easier than larger Ox-Yoke patches.
What's the name of that target?

I think I would like to order some.

You got 60% of your shots right down the middle.

There's too many variables to guess why the the others went wide.

So, from afar.....your doing something right.......just start working on a simple repeatable form, and loading routine.

Everything the same every time. From loading the powder measure, to seating your roundball.

First off if I were you, I'd work on a super stable rest. Remove as much of you as possible.

Second I would do a ladder powder charge test up to and including 100 grains of powder to determine what your rifle wants to consume.

Third I would begin with a
010 thick tight weave patch and do groups up till you can't load because the patched ball is just too snug

Lots of things to consider and test but getting the rifle as solid as possible is job one. Then you can determine your rifles capabilities.

After a few of these tests, then you can introduce you back into the mix. Impossible to determine if your rifle is up to the basic task with you still in the mix.

Sometimes, with a heavy powered charge, a buffer of cream of wheat or a felt wad will protect the patch, which helps accuracy. It definitely helps in a rifle with a less than perfect bore, as in pitting from rust.
If you have to use a buffer between powder and ball you have other problems. You should be able to find the right patch, ball, and powder combination to give better accuracy than what you are getting. Sometimes it takes a lot of shooting or some lapping to smooth out a bore to get good results. As mentioned, hunt up the fired patches and see how they look.

I made the comment because I'm always stuck in the hunting mode. I've never thought of using wads or fillers for better target accuracy since I've haven't had to, mainly because I've had good barrels. I expect you know more about it than I do. I was given an old Douglas barrel that was lightly pitted end to end and the filler may have helped it quite a bit but I replaced it with a Rice barrel which really improved things!

Dutch Schultz’s book has helped me a lot. Highly recommended-I’m not there yet, but I have made progress. His info on patches seems very good, IMHO.
He is indeed great source of info. I take the info with me when I go the range. That way I adjust things properly.

Back