• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken ball and patch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westrayer

32 Cal
Reaction score
I started shooting an older T/C Hawken in .50 cal.
What do you like so far are RB and patch combo? Came with .495" balls but even a .015" patch seems really tight

First time I tried out my Pa. Hunter I used this - .490 - .018 blue ticking - and mink tallow lube. Took a mallet to get it seated.
Switched to .010 ticking and I could load better.
T/C are kinda known to have tight bores.
First time out with my Kibler .50 I used a 490 - red ticking at .015 and spit. Worked perfect.

You could try .010 patching. And you could get the bore "fixed" by Bobby Hoyt - do a search of his name here. He did my New Englander and now it loads and shoots. 2 cents worth.

Sadly I still have a whole box of the .495" RC plus a partial.
In the past trials with a .010" patch have found that they don't hold up. But patches are cheaper than balls.

Yes, that would be a tight load but probably an accurate load also. If using a range rod and a short starter you should be good. That is the combination I use in My CVA Mountain Rifle. I had a mandrel tooled to start the ball in the barrel. Whack it with a mallet. After that I use the short starter and then a range rod to seat it. The mandrel is a cylinder of steel about 2 1/2 inches long and about 5/8" diameter with a concave starter head that just seats the ball into the edge of the barrel.

Go get some .490 and try them. The gun will tell you what it wants to shoot. I have a .50 that I have to pound .490 balls in it. Went to a .480 and it loads and shoots a ragged one hole at fifty yards. I also have a .36 that don't like .350 balls, it shoots .345 balls. This is common, I have these balls and I want my gun to shoot them, what can I do to shoot them. Pounding balls is something I just don't like to do.

What do you like so far are RB and patch combo? Came with .495" balls but even a .015" patch seems really tight
.490 for TC hawken

.490 with Walmart pillow ticking. Used that combo for decades

In my favorite .50 caliber TC Hawken, I use spit lubed patches cut from old tee shirts, .495 round balls and 65 grains of 2f. It’s a snug fit but doesn’t require pounding. This gun and load will shoot tiny groups at 50 yards if I do my part. A few people on here have told me that tee shirt material was no good for patches. But they weren’t shooting my gun either.

for some reason I was just down this road with a muzzleloader and discovered that that 495 balls, that I have, worked darn good with a .010 patch. It was easy to load and they shot accurate. I had developed other loads with thicker patches with .490 that shot good but they were boogers to load. I would say try a thinner patch, who knows, could work as good for you.

My choice in my 50 cal. tC Hawken, that worked quite well, was a .490” LRB with a .015” Ox-Yoke patch….With Mink Oil Lube (TOTW).
Agreed! The depth of the rifling in the T/C Hawken is shallow.
If I remember correctly around .005, way too shallow for a .495 to load without a fight or a torn/damaged patch.

I have experience shooting five tc 50 cal barrels and all shot very well with .018 patching. Ticking or preferably #40 drill with .495 ball. And yes, I could feel differences in how tight was the fit. They all required a rap to start them. Once started they all slid easily enough down the bore. So, I don't understand why some have difficulty starting and loading that combo.

Same result with 45, 54 and 58 bores. Some TC, some Spanish, some Italian and some American. The only barrel that it hasn't worked with is an FIE pistol that is marked 45 caliber but is actually a 44. With a .433 ball it falls in line.

Some highly accomplished competitive shooters shoot the same patching with bore diameter balls.

Latest posts

Back