• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad to see that My question about hunting, whether ethics were involved or not in the approach to the kill shot stirred up a lot of good well thought out replies.

It pretty much came down to what I thought that the terrain decided which was the better method and ethics had little or nothing to do with it

Art Fleener of Iowa stopped by a number of years ago for a chat and a beer or two and left me with a sample of Deer Jerky he had prepared at some additional noteworthy expense by the Amish of Iowa who added a percentage (Unknown) of pork to improve the flavor which explained why people hunt deer to me.

Dutch

Dutch Schoultz said:
Art Fleener of Iowa stopped by a number of years ago for a chat and a beer or two and left me with a sample of Deer Jerky he had prepared at some additional noteworthy expense by the Amish of Iowa who added a percentage (Unknown) of pork to improve the flavor which explained why people hunt deer to me.

Dutch
I do make a quantity of jerky, sausage and dried snack sticks (like slim Jims) from my venison while it's still fresh. I add about 10% of pork belly trim or back trim for that very reason. I guess I am one of the few that hunt for the meat. I look for younger does, as that is the source of the best meat. I do all of my own cleaning, ageing, butchering and vacuum packaging for storage in a -10 deep freeze so we will have meat year round. That is the reason I will hunt any means available to me, I consider myself harvesting no matter what the means or method.

Game Laws, Stupidity and me Years ago when I was doing the advertising for a major English style restaurant they had gotten quite a bit of venison, farm raised, corn fed venison raised in New York State,
. As it was deer season I knew there would be a lot of deer hunters who were unsuccessful so I ran a series of ads stating that if you did not get a deer, come to the Cheshire inn where we could help you remember what venison tastes like and we'll also give you our recipe for its delicious preparation."

I have no idea how successful this small campaign was as because to my complete surprise that ad activated the Missouri State Wildlife commission to roar into view and confiscate all the venison we had on hand.

It seems that it is against the law to sell game meats in Missouri. They could care less where or how it was secured.

Apparently the local supplier had been selling this farm raised deer meat in Missouri for some years with no problems until some idiot (Me) advertised the practice.

Dutch

Same here in AZ. They will now allow you to sell Bison though, Guess they caught on its hard to eat 1200 lbs of meat before its gettin a bit aged in the freezer :idunno: .

My Mom was allergic to beef and she often got a hold of trohpy hunters that really wanted just horns, she would buy beef on sale all year and "trade" for elk pound for pound. They (wardens) never came around so I'm guessing it was OK.

Well Dutch that is indeed a nice sentiment. But the more low brow answer is that I prefer my brews with "more hops" , as in IPA's and incredibly hoppy ales. While a lot of talk here revolves around xx grs. and fps , I prefer a tight group of high IBU brews (International Bitter Units).

Indian Pale Ale was developed for sales in India during the Raj. It became popular enough to made for sales in less hostile environments.

I never would have gr
messed your Forum name derived from the brew of long Happy Life.

Dutch

I didn't intend to criticize any method and I do agree that hunters need to choose their method according to terrain and conditions. As long as the intended game is being located it doesn't matter. When I said "waiting" I meant waiting for game to come to you vs. actively looking for the game. I did feel some would view it as criticizing their preferred method. It was not. As long as it works go for it.

No worries friend. The same argument is alive and well in all circles. Ford vs. Chevy, 9mm vs. .45, Ricebikes vs. Harleys

It is even worse in some fishing circles where the fly fisherman disparage the livebait fishermen that consider the bass fishermen snobs that see guided offshore trips as...well you get the drift.

It is all hunting and I would love the opportunity to try each and every method.

WALKS WITH FIRE
I DIDN'T FEEL THAT ANYONE FELT THEY WERE BEING CRITICIZED./EVERYONE SPELLED OUT THEIR VARYING METHODS, DEPENDENT ON THE TERRAINE AND THE DENSITY OF THE VEGETATION IN THE AREA THEY WERE HUNTING.
I ASKED THE QUESTION BECAUSE SOME NON HUNTER FELT THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG ABOUT SHOOTING FROM STANDS THAT I THOUGHT WERE SOMEWHAT UNJUSTIFIED.

DUTCH SCHOULTZ

For many years I have been a spot and stalk hunter. Now that I find myself in Iowa with only 25 acres to hunt I'll have to change my tactics.

Several times this season I failed to close to within shooting distance and ran out of real-estate. The fact that I use a smoothbore flintlock with no rear sight for gun season and a longbow during archery may have something to do with my lack of success.

Next year still hunting may be the way to go. No matter what develops, you'll not find me up a tree. Nothing against it, I'm just not interested.

FURTHER THOUGHTS ON INDIAN PALE ALE.

THE ENGLISH DO NOT CHULL THEIR BEERS AND ALES ANY COOLER THAN THE BASEMENT TEMPERATURES OF THE PUBS.
THE ENGLISH REGULAR BEERS WERE A BIT HEAVY WHEN SERVED IN THE HEAT OF INDIA. THE PALE ALE WAS DEVELOPED TO BE SERVED, UNCHILLED IN THE INCREDIBLE TEMPERATURES OF INDIA WHERE IT HELD UP BETTER .

I GOT A LONG POST FROM A LONG TIME FRIEND AND EARLY SUBSCRIBER
He supports himself by producing rifles for the the Marine snipers in Afghanistan which are capable of accuracy of up to 2,000 yards and more. He gets fan letters from the men in the field about the amazing shots they have achieved.
He currently was asked by a retired Green beret who is attempting to get into black powder muzzle loading and told him that ;oaring a ML was a lot like reloading a cartridge using the instead of the cartridge.
The old timer refuses to listen and is going by the clerk who sold hime the rifle that you only have to clean with a wipe of Windex after every ten shots.
They are to compete at Los Angeles' Black Powder Rifle range where he feels the duration will resume

Ut's a very funny story and I hope to hear what happens when they meet at the range.

It is very hard to convert a person who has been steeped in center fire experience that Muzzleloading is a whole different situation.

Dutch Schoultz

In Nam we sometimes were forced to drink beer at room temp. Had to blow on it and cool it off so you didn't burn your tongue. :grin:

Interesting ... I always preferred to hunt deer on foot, rather than sit in a ground blind or tree for hours and freeze in some uncomfortable position. I don't hunt much at all anymore, just target centers from a bench. They are much easier to stalk and they don't spook very easy either. :rotf:
Once I was hunting on foot and came upon 3 does (well, I think I came upon them) and they were coming directly for me, and seemed oblivious I was right in front of them. I kind of had to move a bit so they wouldn't run me down. I didn't get a shot off because they peeled off rather rapidly in all directions. I discovered that day that you have to be ready for EVERYTHING when hunting deer on foot.

I am currently advising an Australian who has a brand new Springfield rifle of the Civil War (Ours_ variety considering switching ing a rifled musket designed to fire hollow based Minie balls into a patched round ball rifle. There awesome complications figuring out what the patch thickness shoudbe as the Minie didn't require patches and automatically spread the skirting to make a good seal when the explosion began.

I never had this problem before. The mini ball with the hollow base is unobtainable in Austrailia and damn expensive to get shipped in from the US.

Not thinking I ordered two micrometer which were delivered today where, no surprise, I found my vision too poor to ise them. Tsk

Dutch Schoultz

Cool story SgtMaj. I hunt in order to see cool stuff like that, and I'm not comfortable in tree stands as much anymore.

In SE AK many of us hunt muskegs (where we can see) using a fawn bleat call. The does come in and often bucks follow.

I finally got a buck in Nov. calling an opening in mixed woods urgently w/the fawn bleat. 30 seconds later a doe came charging out of the forest growth and ran by about 10 feet away and on out of sight. As she went by to the right I looked back to the left and there came the buck.

I took him cleanly at 20 yards and was so pleased to complete this endeavor, which I had duplicated many times unsuccessfully, with a nice buck.

Sitka black tailed deer are delicious and I'm learning more each time I hunt them.

Very cool... :thumbsup:
An Alaskan hunt has been on my bucket list for many years. Hopefully before it's too late to do something about it, I will make that trip.
Pictures of this hunt would be great if you took any!
(I use links to Google photo, it's free and has LOTS of storage space.)

Great story on the buck.
My black powder deer hunts have never been terribly successful, but they sure were a blast. Never got into using my scoped .270, I always would take out my Renegade .50, even during rifle season. I loved the extra challenge, and there is, and never will be, anything like it. My only regret was once during muzzleloader season, spotting a 13-point buck that had a huge rack that had to have weighed at least 250 lbs.-plus, but he was at least 150 yards away. That was the biggest damned deer I've ever seen in my neck of the woods. Well, hardly woods, I live in fairly flat wheat country, but those big 'uns love to shuttle down our numerous dry creek beds studded with cottonwoods and heavy brush. Nothing like remembering the ones that got away.

Had a nice buck slip past me the last weekend of our muzzle loader season.
It was still too early for me to see my sights clearly enough for a shot.
Didn't feel too bad since I took a spike the week before.
That's why they call it huntin! :wink:

My first ever case of buck fever allowed a record book coues deer to walk 35 yds from me and get a drink and leave unmolested. 3 nights I couldnt sleep replaying that scene :redface: There were 249 other hunter in my unit. I'm betting 249 other hunters would be picking up the mount in a few months :doh:

At 100 yards I shoot 7-8 inch groups off hand using stock sights. I also have TC Hawken in .45 cal. I have installed Lyman 57ML yesterday and will test it off the bench this weekend and see what kind of groups I come up with and will report back.

Latest posts

Back