• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of my .50's like 70 grains of 2F.
However, my TC shoots best with 90 grains of 2F, 3 holes in the bull, 9 shots off the bench.
You may want to try to up your load in your .45 a little. Maybe TC's like hot loads????????

I seem to have screwed up my window into the Forum,
The "search " feature no longer functions as a search on Dutch brings up just one post from June of last year..

I gess I'm like a bull in a china shop clicking on the wrong buttons has eradicated me from everybody.

Tsk

Dutch Off to Dialysis.

snubnose57 said:
Most of my .50's like 70 grains of 2F.
However, my TC shoots best with 90 grains of 2F, 3 holes in the bull, 9 shots off the bench.
You may want to try to up your load in your .45 a little. Maybe TC's like hot loads????????
My 50 TC Hawkens likes 90 grains under a PRB and .018 patch. With 90 grains of 3F Swiss, it will rock you if you don't shoulder up good. But it will hold 3" at 100 meters, and for a 45 year old gun held with 65 year old hands and aimed with 65 year old eyes, I ain't complaining. That's a dead deer!

Isn't it interesting how much difference there is between one ML and another on what they like and what makes them the most accurate. My T/C .50 Renegade, after a lot of trial and error ”” from 50 grains up through 90 grains ”” consistently performs best on 60 grains of Goex ffg on a .490 ball with .015 linen patches and Mink oil lube, but 80 grains of ffg on a conical. I still have Old Eynsford to test, but that won't be until spring and I've burned up the last of my ff Goex. And, my Goex is more than 30 years old to boot, just to underline the fact BP doesn't go bad.

Dutch you should go to bed or wake up every morning with a smile on your face knowing that you have made a positive contribution the shooting world that you love. And doing it while being a gentleman. God bless you.

morehops said:
Dutch you should go to bed or wake up every morning with a smile on your face knowing that you have made a positive contribution the shooting world that you love. And doing it while being a gentleman. God bless you.

Not just the shooting world. He spreads love to many. He once sent a beautiful gift to my daughter after she had surgery. Not necessary or expected but much appreciated. :)

Thank You more hops, I appreciate every kind word.
I have been pondering your ue of "more hops" as a Forum identity name and my conclusion is that you are short of one leg.. If that is the case, you have my admiration for engaging in an outdoor sport with that handicap which would require a considerable number of hops at the range.. I wonder at a lot of the sleeked names good folks choose to identify themselves Old Ford for instance needs frequent repair. Cap popper I assume belongs to a person who frequently forgets to put powder down the barrel..

It's all interesting to contemplate

Dutch with too much time on his hands

In 28 days I'll be 90 years old. I'm not certain how things will work out for me bside the great big obvious.

Starung at the walls, Harassing members of the Forum, Getting dehydrated in Dialysis.

Everything is pretty much in control and I really can't complain if I look at things honestly.
I rejoice in hearing good things from fellow riflemen and helping where I can.
According from the home page the Forum has 35 thousand registered members. I have been dealing with about half a persent who communicate but it is good to think that I have helped a wider selection of the 35 K who are too timid to let us know they are out there.

Soon i shall be one of them.

Dutch

Hunting vs Ambushing
I have a nephew who lives in the Littleton, Colorado, area who hunts deer pretty much all year around. He feels that deer are pretty much stuck in their ways, spending time in the same places, traveling by routes they have used for generations. He hunts them year around but he doesn't harvest any except during the regular season. When deer season comes he just goes where he knows they will be and nails one.

I have run into number of folks who hold some ill thoughts about people who set up in deer blinds up in trees or deer blinds and wait for the deer to come by and ambush them with military grade weaponry.. To the best of my ability I try to point out that as far as I know, based on all the stories I have heard over the years that muzzleloading riflemen tend to actually HUNTtheir hoped for game on foot in and around the bushes and cherubs where deer tend to dwell. No ambushing, just meeting the deer Mano a Mano (so to speak) in their natural habitat

I would like to hear what current thinking of ML hunters on what's happening out in the field.

I know, personally, only one deer hunter who h and he has all sorts of equipment for motorized transport of the harvested game back into civilization and "HUNTS" from a tree stand with bot bow and rifle.
He has a hell of a limp and respiratory iddues that serve as an exude for his methods but I have NO idea what the general body of deer hunters feel about hunting methods.

Dutch

In one form or another, we all "cheat" and do not truly hunt. Using any kind of weapon that fires any thing of projectile is "ambushing" from a distance, even if that distance is 10' away. Hunting from a blind, a tree, behind a stump or dressing so the prey can't see you is all just different types of ambushing. For those that poo-poo the next guys methods of hunting, well they are just hypocrites. The only real "fair chase" is to run your prey down like a lion on a zebra and kill it with your bare hands and teeth. ALL of us, are harvesting our meat for the table. Call it hunting, call it harvesting, use any method that leaves you with a clear conscience, and enjoy a hot meaty meal...
(All this, while happily munching on a batch of venison snax sticks from the last kill.)

TX GRIZ

I don't want anyone to take offense to this but I have always felt that sitting in a tree stand or a blind as "waiting" and still hunting by foot to be "hunting". Shooting is shooting no matter the method.

I walk then sit, wait, watch, rest, get bored, walk, sit, wait, rest, wonder whats over that hill, walk, sit, wait, rest, nap, wait, walk, go home and wonder why I can't see a deer???

I think the method is dictated by the terrain. When in West Teaxs, northern California and New Mexico we stalked. We walked and glassed until we spotted deer then stalked to shooting distance.

Here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast I primarily hunt the Pascagoula River Basin...the Swamp. A long shot is 30 yards. Those that stalk tend to jump deer and try to acquire a target and fire in seconds, usually at a white flag going away.

Around here our hunting starts in June or July. We walk and look to pattern the deer. We do find where they eat and drink and which trails they use and when they use them. This river is unrestricted so it floods. When it does the deer move to higher ground and our efforts start again. I miss stalking out west but I am more knowledgable about the animal I harvest hunting the way I do here.

In Arkansas, terrain varies greatly from one area to another. Methods of hunting are often dictated by terrain. I never considered using a stand, or sit, to be ambushing. I like to look for places deer will frequent and/or travel through. Then I find a comfortable stump and sit. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Other times I'll do a slow walk, stop, few more steps, stop, etc. I will say this. On this forum we often see posts where guys advice not priming until the game/deer shows up then prime. That's a joke in the Ozarks. Deer hunting, in some ways, is not too different than quail hunting. Ye sees it, act quickly aim and shoot. Hit or miss, it's over in a blink. Hunting today is not necessary for subsistence (few exceptions). We do it because of some primal need and, in a way, to relive the days when hunting was food harvesting. On foot or from a stand, no matter. I wouldn't criticize either method. :nono:

Rifleman1776 said:
In Arkansas, terrain varies greatly from one area to another. Methods of hunting are often dictated by terrain. I never considered using a stand, or sit, to be ambushing. I like to look for places deer will frequent and/or travel through. Then I find a comfortable stump and sit. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Other times I'll do a slow walk, stop, few more steps, stop, etc. I will say this. On this forum we often see posts where guys advice not priming until the game/deer shows up then prime. That's a joke in the Ozarks. Deer hunting, in some ways, is not too different than quail hunting. Ye sees it, act quickly aim and shoot. Hit or miss, it's over in a blink. Hunting today is not necessary for subsistence (few exceptions). We do it because of some primal need and, in a way, to relive the days when hunting was food harvesting. On foot or from a stand, no matter. I wouldn't criticize either method. :nono:

I always figure (when other than a blind or concealed stand) I have less than 3 seconds to shoot. Our game gets MIGHTY spooked after 2-3 shots on opening morning and if they see you first, 3 seconds max and then yer shooting at a real fast target

Latest posts

Back