• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C 1000+ Replacement?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westrayer

36 Cl.
Reaction score
So the old T/C 1000+ (Bore Butter) is gone and I am about. What do you suggest as a substitute for patches and bore seasoning?

I make my own with bee wax, olive oil, coconut oil, a yellow crayon and a squirt of Murphy's oil soap. The crayon is just for color, easy to see. Works on patches and bullets, if you need it firmer add a little more wax, if you need it thinner add a little more olive oil. The last stuff I made (5 yrs. ago) was great for bullets and patches, spring, summer and fall. Never got around to testing in the winter but I'm sure it would work well.

Mink oil for your patch lube, you can use it in your bore after cleaning too. I use Ballistol after cleaning, several on here like Birchwood Casey Barricade as a preservative. You can drive yourself nuts looking up and trying different recipes for patch and bullet lubes and there's no need to.
IMG_20240110_182840484.jpg

Last edited:
Just about any non-petroleum grease or oil will work as a patch lube. Avoid too much or too runny and should be fine... Coconut is solid at common shooting temperatures, makes it easy to carry and apply a little. Oil the bore and metal bits with something that's made for the job of rust prevention.

Still for sale all over the place. T/C does not say they dont make it, they say they are out of it.
A lot of that going around these days.

Had me worried for a minute, and I have half a dozen tubes already. Be looking for more next month.
At the trade fair.

Mink oil for your patch lube, you can use it in your bore after cleaning too. I use Ballistol after cleaning, several on here like Birchwood Casey Barricade as a preservative. You can drive yourself nuts looking up and trying different recipes for patch and bullet lubes and there's no need to.View attachment 284256
A lot of the ‘stuff’ marketed as Mink Oil has very little Mink Oil in the secret recipe. The Sofsole for example has 5% - 15% in it if their data sheet is to be believed. Mostly Bleached Tallow, whatever that may be.
1704947094282.png

A lot of the ‘stuff’ marketed as Mink Oil has very little Mink Oil in the secret recipe. The Sofsole for example has 5% - 15% in it if their data sheet is to be believed. Mostly Bleached Tallow, whatever that may be.
View attachment 284312
I was being lazy and just took a pic of what's on my table. That's for my boots. The stuff I got for my rifles is downstairs and says 100% on the lid. Lay a wager that boot polish would still work if one were to give it a try.

I also like bore butter for patch lube....easy to handle, works, minimal fouling....but I (and I think most BB users) totally ignore anything about...seasoning. I am currently using Tracks Mink oil, and it is ok for a patch lube....ok. it is very stiff, and in cold weather (near freezing and below) stiff as a board, and results in cut patches. Here in Upstate NY, that is hunting conditions from the beginning of november on, and I shoot through the wnter. The old BB stays much more pliable in cold weather. I miss it, and havent found it anywhere. I am revisiting Hoppes Black Powder solvent...but I dont like how it dries out over time (preloads, etc).

Edit ....I was amazed to find an hour after posting, on Ox Yokes website Bore Butter! Showing 32 in stock!~ I ordered up four tubes.

Last edited:
T/C Bore Butter , 1000Plus , is all the same just a different label RMC OX Yoke sells it in 4 and 8oz sizes also before Ox Yoke was sold to the current owners I purchased a case of 6 gallons and a bunch of us split it up. Like most other things in life the bigger the quantity the cheaper the price. I don't know what they would charge for 6 gallons now but I would bet that its way cheaper then the 8oz jar. They also have other products that are made to be used with bore butter 1 that we use is their competition bore cleaner lube it absolutely works for a QUICK WIPE BETWEEN relays. the other one that we use but not as often is liquid 1000 plus 1 or 2 drops when you want a wetter patch check out their web site great people to deal with
DSC04109.JPG

I do wonder a little bit about those that come unglued by those who mention that bore butter might season their bores.
squint
It is the propagation of the false notion that the bore (smooth or rifled) of a firearm can acquire a coat of burned on oil like Gramma's cast iron frying pan that make people get "unglued".
Gramma's iron fry pan never gets washed. The baked on seasoning never gets removed. The pan is just wiped out and re-oiled to prevent rust were a spatula may have scratched through the seasoning.

The bore of a firearm never gets hot enough to burn on oil from plug to muzzle. Therefore the bore never gets seasoned.
The bore of a firearm is always well cleaned after use with water, detergent and bronzed brushed to remove both cooked on fouling in the bottom and the looser fouling along the length.
The repeated firing and cleanings just returns the bore to factory new state. An application of a good oil in the bore keep air (oxygen) off the bare steel so no rusting occurs.

Back