• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Proof

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Tremain

Silversmith in training
Reaction score
Some folks say bad stuff about Thompson Center 1000+ bore butter.
Back in October I cleaned my rifle for the end of season. I pulled it out today to get ready for the first rondy (3 weeks!!)
I ran this patch down the barrel and spun it around when it hit the plug.
As you can see, there is some burnt powder flakes.
The discoloration is old lube NOT rust.

The last cleaning was No. 13 Bore cleaner, dried with patches, then bore butter a few days later.
20240126_153531[1].jpg

Back in October I cleaned my rifle for the end of season. I pulled it out today to get ready for the first rondy (3 weeks!!)

The last cleaning was No. 13 Bore cleaner, dried with patches, then bore butter a few days later.
View attachment 288871
Way dirtier than my Ballistol lubed barrels.

View attachment 288871
Not a fan, but I have found several things over the years
1) oils and greases discolor and cause a bad case of pucker in a gun care giver, but are not signs of rust
2) clean dry and oil/ grease the gun works. All the oils fall in to the what works for you
3) guns benefit from occasional swabing. I try a dry patch and then a new oiled patch about once a month
4) short of pulling the breech plug and power washing tge bore there is never a perfect cleaning. Some place some bit of black smudge will hide in your bore whose sole purpose for existence is to drive the gun nut crazy trying to remove.
A caddyshack gopher
5) clean DRY and oil via the best way, yours

Flakes of powder might be one of the last things I'd expect to see. Sure it wasn't something else?

Wont sludge up like those who use petroleum based oils.
A few flakes came off the breech plug.
I dont use a scraper, wire brush or any other mechanical devices.
Just cleaner and patches.
No water, no rust.

All of my rifles get a good flush of warm, not hot, water. I have never seen BP flakes on any patches afterward. I used to use Bore Butter on my Maxis but mainly use my own basic recipe now. Never have used BB as a bore protectant as I feel there are much better products available. I do not bad mouth BB just limit it as to how I use it. If it works for you then 👍

No water, no rust.
Paraffins are petroleum products, yet have no adverse side effects with BP. Mineral oil, Vaseline and paraffin wax are members of this group, and were even in use for BP lubes in the actual latter era of BP use.

No water, no rust.
I use CLP to protect bore after cleaning with water and I always swab bore with 99% iso. alcohol followed by dry patch prior to shooting. No rust in storage, no sludge when shooting.

I have been happy with it. It is a good patch lube IMO and I will wipe a clean bore with it for short term storage if I plan on shooting it again within a few weeks. For long term storage I prefer ballistol or better yet a real preservative oil.

Latest posts

Back