• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is That Seasoning or Fouling On My Patch?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worn off metal will turn dark but the metal comes from the steel wool very little from the barrel. If you use steel wool on a flat piece of steel you will see the steel wool start leaving powdered steel.
That's why we used bronze wool on sailboats that were being used in salt water.

Tri-Sodium Phosphate.

It’s normally available in powdered form that you mix with water. Any hardware store will have it. It’s a really strong cleaner and will strip grease, oil and dirt from just about anything with little effort. Don’t get it on your gun stock or wood furniture, but for a hooked breach gun, it makes it really easy to get the barrel totally clean without affecting the bluing/browning. Wear gloves. I’ve never noticed any fumes from it.

It makes the process of cleaning a barrel so simple and easy it’ll make you giggle!
Most TSP sold today has no Phosphate in it, you have to read the label even if it says TSP on it. Phosphate was removed from detergents several years ago in Michigan as it pollutes the water ways.

Most TSP sold today has no Phosphate in it, you have to read the label even if it says TSP on it. Phosphate was removed from detergents several years ago in Michigan as it pollutes the water ways.

What I have is the real deal. Home Depot. Bought it about a year ago.

IMG_4792.jpeg

Hello!

I know the ideas of cleaning a black power flintlock have been beat to death but one question I have goes unanswered and I hope I can get some validation from you here :)

No matter how meticulous I clean the gun, I continue to get patches that are "dark" in nature. For example ... I can clean the barrel using water and Dawn until the water is clear. But I also will use several T/C #13 saturated patches until they come out clean. Follow this up with dry patches, which are clean. Then, run a saturated patch with T/C bore butter a few times and there it is, dark gray coloring on the patch (but not black like a first wipe after shooting)

I know BP is big time dirty, but this dirty? I can run through 30+ patches, easily, and still find a way darken those patches.

Maybe, at this point, is this the "seasoning" in the barrel I am removing or is this still fouling?

Thank you in advance :)
-Cheney
I use Hoope's 9 gun bore cleaner and the Ballistol to lube after it's dry. Spotless.

Back