• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swivel Gun Mounting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a swivel gun and I have a stone wall. The stone is sedimentary rather than igneous. Thinking of getting a piece of hard stone at the masonry yard and having them drill a hole in it for the mounting post of the gun's yoke. Mortar it on top of the existing stone wall.
Thinking maybe the hole should be oversized and I'd sleeve it with a piece of cast iron pipe with a threaded cap to keep shmutz and freezing water out.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

I have a swivel gun and I have a stone wall. The stone is sedimentary rather than igneous. Thinking of getting a piece of hard stone at the masonry yard and having them drill a hole in it for the mounting post of the gun's yoke. Mortar it on top of the existing stone wall.
Thinking maybe the hole should be oversized and I'd sleeve it with a piece of cast iron pipe with a threaded cap to keep shmutz and freezing water out.

That will work but water down in that hole
..not good for the wall . How about pipe with a steel plate back . Just weld the pipe to a square of steel , say 1/8" thick . Four holes for mounting it in each corner . You mount it on the side of the wall . Slip.the yoke rod of the mount in the pipe and you can have a couple or more mounts on different locations of the wall . I'm going to do something similar on.my porch for mounts for the swivel gun I made .

Last edited:
Sika (for one) makes an epoxy grout that comes in a standard caulking gun tube. Great stuff for mounting bolts in concrete or stone. Do what Rob M. suggests. Drill the holes in the plate oversized and then drill through them into the stone with a hammer drill. Shoot some mortar/epoxy into the holes and push some threaded rod in. No water infiltration and solid enough to take some recoil.

Sika (for one) makes an epoxy grout that comes in a standard caulking gun tube. Great stuff for mounting bolts in concrete or stone. Do what Rob M. suggests. Drill the holes in the plate oversized and then drill through them into the stone with a hammer drill. Shoot some mortar/epoxy into the holes and push some threaded rod in. No water infiltration and solid enough to take some recoil.
Like the idea a lot, but the stone in my wall is sedimentary. A rock climber would not call it "competent". Meaning he would be unlikely to trust it for anchorage. Which is why I thought to mortar a piece of hard (competent) rock on top for mounting.

Are you planning on shooting the swivel gun from the mount? My experience with my swivel was that whatever the yoke is mounted on must be able to move. There is a lot of "reverse thrust" when the gun goes off. (Think naval guns with the wheels and ropes to return them to battery). For signal fire only, your rock set up should be adequate.

ADK Bigfoot

Are you planning on shooting the swivel gun from the mount? My experience with my swivel was that whatever the yoke is mounted on must be able to move. There is a lot of "reverse thrust" when the gun goes off. (Think naval guns with the wheels and ropes to return them to battery). For signal fire only, your rock set up should be adequate.

ADK Bigfoot
I was thinking holiday signal firing from the wall. But my human nature being as it is sooner or later I will want to try grape or ball. Thank you for the heads up.
Will look for a few feet of a heavy timber.
Still think about some sort of explosive ordinance. But do not want to make any appearances in federal court.

You might want to consider making a basic naval style gun carriage but on a slide rather than wheels. Some rough cut 2-by and 4-by would do the job.

Put your "competent" piece of stone on the wall with one big pin in it and the slide base could pivot on that. The force of the recoil would be spread out over time and distance on the slide base and it would reduce shock loads on the stone.

Think like you'd have to defend against the French and Iroquois crossing the Susquehanna.

Period swivels had a yoke with a spike, much like the pintle of a modern machinegun tripod. That spike when into a mount on a boat's gunwale or a stump, either set in the ground or heavy enough to roll around.

However, I think there were more tactical/portable/flintlock operator versions that weren't so field-expedient.

Why not use what was available, fit a coehorn mortar base so it'll accept the swivel's spike? That way, you can blast interlopers 360 degrees like you had a miniature version of Rommel's 88mm AT gun.

Then you can bring everything indoors in two manageable loads.

https://hernironworks.com/product/coehorn-mortar-hardwareplans/

I use wood with a pipe sleeve in it. When done for the day I just hand tighten a cap on it.

Back