• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lantakas - swivel guns - pre1600

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used to collect all kinds of unusual weapons. I got into Lantakas. Cast bronze with the muzzle up in the island country of Borneo. These were primarily by Mayla Pirates. Mount on the rail of their gunboats. stuff with everything they had on hand, sometimes even sea shells, metal, rocks, etc. Sail up to another boat and blow away the other guys. Mine are pre-1600 before technology changed. Later ones were often tourist, but mine were actually fighting guns.

I have them from 2 feet long to 5 feet. The mounts you see were just for display. The conglomeration picture is in one of my warehouses with some bronze sphinx and iron eagles. Will pull out a few and fire one off if there is any interest. The single pictures are about 2 feet long and floriate covered. As most of the Mayla were Muslim and it is against their religion to make anything that looks like a man. They figure that only God can make a man!

Bronze cannons were much more expensive than cast iron but much safer. Even overcharged they would split and not turn into shrapnel like often iron especially when metal fatigue set it.

Attachments

• P1040011.JPG
    P1040011.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • P1040013.JPG
    P1040013.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • P1040015.JPG
    P1040015.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • P1040016.JPG
    P1040016.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • P1030354.JPG
    P1030354.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I seem to recall that the length of lantakas was due to a poorer quality of bronze and pouring a longer barrel allowed for a safer breech.
What would you consider to be the difference in a 16th century vs 17th or 18th? I was under the impression lantakas were common and most were 18th or newer?

I seem to recall that the length of lantakas was due to a poorer quality of bronze and pouring a longer barrel allowed for a safer breech.
What would you consider to be the difference in a 16th century vs 17th or 18th? I was under the impression lantakas were common and most were 18th or newer?

The early guns were with a stabilized bore mold and were made to shoot. The later ones, knockoffs were poorly made and cranked out for tourists. Possibly the later ones were made with poorer quality bronze. Often the same people who made the early guns were the same people who also made bells.

The early guns were with a stabilized bore mold and were made to shoot. The later ones, knockoffs were poorly made and cranked out for tourists. Possibly the later ones were made with poorer quality bronze. Often the same people who made the early guns were the same people who also made bells.
Was referring to actual cannons not tourist stuff.

Many of the later cannons were not as well made for shooting. Trade goods.

Aligning the bore mold was took skilled craftsmen.
So you have them dated to the 1500's due to quality of build. I wasn't sure if it might be rings/decorations/size/style or ?? I'm always interested in learning more which is why I asked.

So you have them dated to the 1500's due to quality of build. I wasn't sure if it might be rings/decorations/size/style or ?? I'm always interested in learning more which is why I asked.
There are two ways for certain,

1. Measure the bore down to the breech. If the measuring goes almost all the way, the breech "plug" is too thin and it was not made for shooting.

2. If you carefully look at the barrel about 1/3rd from the muzzle, you will see three iron pins flush with the barrel, again about 1/3rd from the outside of the breech are also three iron pins. These stabilized the bore mold and the cannon can shoot straight.

3. The tourist pieces have large caliber and thin walls. Do not shoot them!

The Tourist pieces, and most of them are, will not pass this test. Quick and dirty is the length of the bore. Most of the shooting guns were made previous to 1600. Mine pass the test.

Value is about $2500 per foot for the shooting.

Latest posts

Back