• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Swivel Gun Base

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been making do with bases for my swivel gun. Boring holes in logs, etc. Would like to get a permanent base. Considered a block of stone with a hole bored into it. But that is not particularly portable.
What have others done? Any suggestions appreciated.

44E53065-B7F3-4C75-BE63-97BEC6CA3CEA.png

Thats how i did it. Scrap 2x4 and the yoke sits in a 4x4. Some hardware store wheels. Its not pretty but it works. It just sits on it under its own weight so can be lifted off any time.

Couple of questions for you: 1. How big is your swivel gun, what is the bore diameter?
2. Do you use it for firing blanks or for firing a round of some type?

I use a 3' length of round fence post with iron bands at the top and bottom. The top is drilled and shaped to take the tapered end of the yoke. The bottom has a stainless steel rod 1" in diameter driven into the bottom, the end going into the ground has been shaped into a point. The post also has two large forged staples pounded into the surface to which I attach a web strap for carrying the post. My swivel gun has a 1 /2" bore.

Back