• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swabbing between shots?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airborne1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
For those who prefer to swab, not wash, between shots, should the patch be slightly spritzed and then squeezed between thumb and forefinger to expel excess solution?

What are some of your favorite solutions to "swab" with? I know spit is a favorite amongst many, but I don't find that very appealing!

Thank you for your opinions!

I don't usually swab between shots when hunting but i do at the range,and what I use there is a alcohol patch followed by a dry patch.

If you "slightly spritz",, then there shouldn't be enough on there to squeeze out to begin with,, think plant watering atomizer,, just a mist applied. If your squirty thing is dumping that much "spay" with a trigger pull, then spray/hold the patch from further away.

airborne1 said:
For those who prefer to swab, not wash, between shots, should the patch be slightly spritzed and then squeezed between thumb and forefinger to expel excess solution?

What are some of your favorite solutions to "swab" with? I know spit is a favorite amongst many, but I don't find that very appealing!

Thank you for your opinions!

Here is a video of what I do.

https://youtu.be/ibU-5uCuy_I

Thank you for taking the time to post the video! It was well done and very informative.

I don't much care when it comes to hunting larger game where a shot or three per season is pretty darned good hunting. But swabbing or not is a big concern for me for small game where I can shoot two or three DOZEN times in a day. Since I do an awful lot of my small game hunting with reduced loads in my bigger calibers, it is a consideration with big guns and small ones.

For me the need to swab between shots for accuracy versus being able to go a few shots without swabbing is a big criteria in load development and accuracy. If I have to swab after every shot to get stellar accuracy with a particular load combo, I'm likely to ashcan the load for one with a little less precision but allowing me to go up to half a dozen shots between swabs. Just plain practicality in my hands.

By the same token, I don't want to carry spritzers and hair curlers for my swabbing. If some combo doesn't swab well with a single spit patch followed by a dry patch, I'm likely to ashcan that load, too. Sooooo, I use only spit patches for swabbing. And lightly- just put the patch on my tongue, then press it against the roof of my mouth for minimal moisture, and remove immediately.

I know small calibers are supposed to require swabbing between shots for loading ease and accuracy. But I've dinked around enough I have a load for my 30 caliber (.290 ball) that allows 6 shots between swab jobs. And I'm still using those fragile wooden ramrods, if you can imagine.

I swab between shots. Just lay a patch on my tongue and wipe one pass in and out. Next shot use the other side of the same patch.

Clean with anything ammonia? No but I'll look up the properties. May try it but something in the back (50 years back) of my mind says ammonia and steel don't work well together.

At the range I just use a spray bottle of Windex and just "spritz" a little on a patch lightly. Just a little mist will do. Just one time in and out. You don't want it dripping wet or it can effect your powder on the next load. :hatsoff:

Since you asked, here ya go:
I swab between every shot. 1 pass down and up.
I use a significantly thinner wiping patch than either my shooting patch material, or my flannel cleaning patches.
I have turned down my cleaning jag (chuck it up in a drill and hold a file against it) to reduce it's diameter. Object of the exercise is to wind up with a wiping patch/jag combination that when made just damp with my "moosemilk concoction" (3 cups of warm water, 2 fl. oz. Murphy's Oil Soap, 2 fl. oz. Ballistol) doesn't merely push wet fouling down the bore to lay on the breechface and clog the touchhole.

Boomerang said:
At the range I just use a spray bottle of Windex and just "spritz" a little on a patch lightly. Just a little mist will do.

Same here for range work on loads.

But, I demand that my guns will shoot at least three shots accurately and without undue loading pressure to pass my "hunting" test. Haven't needed it, but I like to be prepared for multiple in-field shots just in case.

I swab between every shot, if for no other reason than ease of loading. Getting a patched ball down the barrel gets very difficult after a few shots without swabbing. (Makes me nervous about getting it seated properly).

I use just a tiny bit of solvent then a dry patch. Whatever you do, I wouldn't recommend putting a dry patch down first haha. No mount of verbal coaxing will extract it. (I was an amateur once, and apparently one without too much common sense). Also, using the plastic loop instead of a jag for this operation helps prevent it being stuck. I see the gentlemen above shrunk the jag - same purpose. I'll be switching to alcohol next time shooting, as it evaporates on its own for the most part.

I don't swab between shots and the 40th shot of the afternoon loads as easily as the 1st. Just use a good "liquid" lube and a tight load to keep the bore clean. When hunting and using something like Mink Oil or other greases, I will swab every 2-3 shots.

Latest posts

Back