• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fouling Shot before Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wm300

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’ll try to keep this short. Will it harm my barrel if I shoot a fouling shot the night before a hunt and then load it. Possibly to remain loaded for up to 2-3 days. My rifle - Traditions Woodsman- no matter what I do will shoot the first round on a cold clean barrel in a random direction about 6 inches from POA. Rounds 2,3,4... will cloverleaf at the POA. I’ve read many threads on how to cure this but nothing seems to change this. I’ve used many different lubes and patch sizes, wiped between shots and not wiped. If the first shot always landed in the same spot 6 inches from POA then I could plan for that but its always in a random location. Follow up shots are dead on. So will it harm the barrel to be loaded for 2-3 days on a fouled barrel. Thanks in advance for your opinions. Picture is today’s target and is representative of nearly all shooting sessions.
6EC69B3E-6F0F-42F8-BA6E-915F96E72309.jpeg

It shoots a foot group clean and cold? At 75 yards? Then stacks them after? If that’s the case I’d get rid of it or rebarrel it. Unless you are in a very dry climate I don’t see how you don’t end up with a rusty bore if you leave it dirty for days. Where I live in SE Texas I will see rust in one day using mink oil lube on a dirty bore. Very minor rust but do that enough times and you have a frosty hard to clean bore pretty quick.

I would give that bore a good scrubbing with JB bore paste and a green scotch brite pad then see if the cold bore shots group closer to the fouled shots. If that doesn't work, try using a felt wad over the powder before loading the PRB.

I have a flinter that likes a dirty barrel, is similar to what you show except my 1st shot is 6" low. As azmntman, I too shoot a lower charge load the day before, then load and hunt. I don't usually have the luxury of hunting more than a day at a time, being not retired and still working so I'll clean when I get home that night. Don't have to worry about the dirty barrel for long. Will do the same the following weekend (usually only have time to hunt Saturdays). Have moved on to bigger and better flinters so is now the sons problem.

Yes you can foul the bore and hunt with it. Dope up the next patch a bit more to apply a better seal over the foiling to help minimize exposure to moisture.

Depending on humidity, 3-4 days, no problem.

After trying most everything suggested here I had a thought-what if POI changes are related to unseating the barrel for the cleaning process. So I bought a flushing nipple from TOW and used it after the next shooting session. Cleaned without removing the barrel and shot a group the next day. I’ll be danged - 1st shot on cold clean barrel dead on POA followed by the next 2. Apparently at least this particular rifle takes a first shot to “ re-seat “ the barrel to its liking. Hope this helps anyone else with a similar issue.

After trying most everything suggested here I had a thought-what if POI changes are related to unseating the barrel for the cleaning process. So I bought a flushing nipple from TOW and used it after the next shooting session. Cleaned without removing the barrel and shot a group the next day. I’ll be danged - 1st shot on cold clean barrel dead on POA followed by the next 2. Apparently at least this particular rifle takes a first shot to “ re-seat “ the barrel to its liking. Hope this helps anyone else with a similar issue.
Well done, that is how to fix problems, eliminating one variable at a time until the results change.

Glad you got it figured out. I would look at how well the wedges fit the slots and escheusions, or however that funky word is spelled.

Yes sir. Wedge is just snug enough to require tap out with small screwdriver and back in with small mallet.

Back