• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck please help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surrealpillow

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So I did something dumb, I'm relatively new to muzzleloading & I was cleaning my flintlock with a cleaning patch and a tow worm (the non-threaded kind that fits over the end of the rod & looks like a tapered spring) and it got stuck. Would a CO2 discharge work for something like this?

Before going that far, I would recommend pouring up to 1/4 cup of hot water down the bore and allowing the patch to get soaked. That may be all you need for it to loosen up so you can pull it out.

Gus

If the spiral tow worm came off of the cleaning rod, using an air compressor or one of those CO2 cartridge blowers may be your best bet. A little water down the bore first may help to loosen the patch and worm. If the cleaning rod is still attached to the tow worm in the barrel, then follow Artificer's suggestion and just pour some water down the bore to soak the patch and then ease the rod/worm/patch out of the bore.

For future cleanings, I suggest you purchase a cleaning jag from October Country that has a knurled end to eliminate the cleaning patch from becoming doubled-up around the worm or jag when pulling the cleaning rod out of the barrel, which is the cause of the rod/patch becoming stuck in a dirty barrel. Never run a dry patch down a dirty barrel with a jag or worm, as it will surely get stuck/jammed in the barrel. If you like cleaning the barrel with a tow worm, I suggest you get some flax tow and use it rather than a patch. The worms were used historically but with tow, not patches. I have used a worm and flax tow for years and have never gotten a cleaning rod stuck down the barrel.

Artificer said:
Before going that far, I would recommend pouring up to 1/4 cup of hot water down the bore and allowing the patch to get soaked. That may be all you need for it to loosen up so you can pull it out.

Gus

A little dawn or murphey's oil soap in that water might help too. :thumbsup:

Happens to everyone. A flintlock attachment for a CO2 discharger is a good investment, but if you can manage to get the worm out with the soap method, even better. You may have to push it down to the breech to get the ramrod attached to it again.

Track of the Wolf is another good source for a good jag, the best fit, I've found.

Good luck. Don't let it discourage you! There's a reason we all know ways to extract things from barrels :grin:

I do it all the time,does the rod have a brass tip? Mine do not so I just try to screw it back on or use another one to grab on and pullit out ,Once the rod is out its probably loose down in there ,If ya got , just use another worm and some soapy warm water.Then look up toggle and string

Another TOW worm or spiral wad retriever should be able to latch on to the stuck spring configuration and pull it all out.

When you decide to make a rod with threaded end(s) to use jags and attachments, be sure to cross pin the end, so it won't come off & get stuck in the bore - they're more difficult to retrieve.

Back