• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck ball in a Thompson Center Hawken flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My recommendation would be NO. The issue with dribbling some powder “under’” a patch that is under the main charge is that “if ‘ the main charge ignition is delayed with the ball partially down the barrel from the dribbled powder, it could bulge, or worse case, fracture the barrel. If you can still get a good grip on the ball with your ball puller, I’d squirt a generous amount of Ballistol or WD40 down the barrel, let it soak 5-10 minutes to saturate the patched ball, then pull the ball out. This has worked for me in a pinch, with stubborn, stuck balls that wouldn’t budge. Then, use a wire patch puller to make sure the troublesome patch is removed. Clean it all out, and your good to go. If this fails, the CO2 charger would be your best/easiest bet.

Nothing about removing a load or dry ball from the bore of a muzzleloader approaches rocket science in complexity or approaches the danger presented by an improvised explosive device.

BTW: My firing range lacks an air compressor and grease gun. My patched round balls are loaded very tight: The handy dandy CO2 thing don't have the oomph: Been there tried that.

Last edited:
That 6 to 8 grain charge will burn through that lubricated patch seated on that T/C chambered breech and ignite the powder charge before the ball starts to move. Too much theory and nor enough practical experience.
I apologize for my lack of practical experience, but do have a few questions.

I have checked the capacity of TC chambered breeches and found the flint version to hold over 30 grains on a couple I checked (they where removed from the barrel at the time), though I do not remember the actual powder weight. I also checked a TC percussion breech plug a while back, and found it to easily contain over 18 grains of powder, photographs below. How does one keep the amount of powder to 6 to 8 grains?

Second question. the powder burns through that lubricated patch seated on that TC chamber breech, what keeps the powder from burning through the lubricated patch on the round ball? I have recover patches from much heavier charges that are not burnt in any way, let alone burnt through. Curious as to the practical experience that explains the selective burn through?

1640495635216.jpeg
1640495654870.jpeg
1640495685522.jpeg
1640495713976.jpeg

And for what it is worth, pulling a load or shooting it out (if fully seated) are my preferred methods. I am just skeptical about shooting out a load that has a patch under it and have no practical experience doing it. Glad to know some have actually done it without issue.

The chambered breech of a T/C breech plug can contain considerably more powder than necessary to shoot out a ball seated at the breech. There are many documented cases of dry balls being safely shot from a chambered breech (as reported on these Forums) even though there is separation due to an empty chamber with a ball or in the OP's case, a lubricated patch. As to burn through on the lubricated patch at the top of the chamber, there is no compression of the material to significantly impede the flame from any amount of powder. Compressed patches wrapped around a ball will impede burn through as @SDSmlf has observed.

Not to mention, @Thomas51502 has shot the offending patch and loaded ball out and the problem is resolved. He just needed a bit more powder than he used in his first attempt.

I suppose you could...
Pull the barrel out of the gun
You might as well pull the lock out while your at it.
Now would be a good time to disassemble the lock and give it a good cleaning
Pull the breech plug
Pull everything out behind the ball
Push the ball about an inch or two down the barrel toward the muzzle
Fill the space with black powder
Reinstall the breech plug
Reassemble the lock
Reassemble the gun.
Shoot it out

Or......
You could just dribble some powder in it and shoot it out :doh:

Thank all of you for the replies. I did search all of the forums and could not find if it was safe to fill the channel with blackpowder. Sorry if I annoyed some of you with the question. I did end up ordering a co2 discharger since a lot of you recommend it. But for removing the ball I took the liner out dribbled 5 grains in (like most of you recommend) and replaced. Loaded it up and stood off to the side and pulled a rope attached to the trigger (I know some will laugh, but id rather be safe then sorry). Thank all of you for the timely responses and suggestions they definitely wont be over looked when this happens in the future
I'm curious Thomas, did the main charge fire when you shot the patch, powder charge and ball?

I admit, I bought a CO2 for my Baker Rifle and sure enough, the first time out I put a ball down (no patch) to see how it seated it rolled right in (no powder in yet) and I couldn't get the ball out with 3 cartridge's of compressed air. Ball rolled in well enough, but maybe rifling has an effect. Finally did a worm pull.

My first choice is to support @French Colonial's suggestion. If the ball, powder and patch are fully seated at the breech, there should no adverse result (bulged barrel) if you shoot it out using the 5 or six grains you have likely loaded in the T/C chambered breech. 5 or 6 grains will shoot the ball out even if the flame from the squib charge doesn't ignite the powder.

What is the thread pitch for your touch hole liner? Probably 1/4-28.

The second choice is to use the CO2 discharger. These may be hard to find at a local gun store. In that case, go to your local bicycle shop and get a CO2 tire inflator and some CO2 cartridges. Stop at a tire store and get some old tire inflation valves and cut off all the old rubber. One side of the valve should be 1/4-28 to screw into the touch hole threads. Use the tire inflator to blow the charge out.

The third choice is the grease gun. Get a grease gun fitting with the thread pitch of your touch hole liner. The force from the grease will easily push the patch, powder and ball out of the barrel.

Saw a video earlier from dan on using a grease gun when nothing else worked. I tried it and it worked like a charm! Did not realize the psi on my grease gun- thanks Dan

Back