• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel Hunting and shooting RB into the air.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Squirrel Hunting interests me, use to hunt them with shotgun when I was young. I live in a populated state and was wondering what precautions one take when shooting round balls into the air. I know when deer hunting I always make sure there is dirt in the background of my shot.
A couple suggestions...
Get a smoothbore, 60 grains powder, thin card, lubed wad, 70 grains/1oz (roughly) #5 shot, thin card... Shoot squirrels with edge of pattern. Or,
Only shoot at squirrels in trees that are against the trunk, instead of dirt be sure there is tree behind the squirrel. Or,

Or, don't miss.

Politics? Where?

For squirrels a .32 or .36 would be my choice to limit range of the ball. A light 25 yard load would cover all your squirrel hunting needs. Smooth bores are also a fine solution.
Back when I was a kid living in squirrel hunting country, most everyone used a .22, that would carry at least a mile and a half. It was a very rural area, so not much danger back then. Lots more people around now, and I doubt I would use one of those now.

A couple suggestions...
Get a smoothbore, 60 grains powder, thin card, lubed wad, 70 grains/1oz (roughly) #5 shot, thin card... Shoot squirrels with edge of pattern. Or,
Only shoot at squirrels in trees that are against the trunk, instead of dirt be sure there is tree behind the squirrel. Or,

Or, don't miss.
Thought about a smoothbore, I'm not a good enough shot, would have to be a big trunk. Can I shoot shot in a rifle?
Thanks Phil

Squirrel Hunting interests me, use to hunt them with shotgun when I was young. I live in a populated state and was wondering what precautions one take when shooting round balls into the air. I know when deer hunting I always make sure there is dirt in the background of my shot.
I stopped shooting round ball upwards at squirrels, but..., mine were large and a large powder load, and at squirrels on branches not on tree trunks.
I use a fowler now and shot.
IF there is a backstop then that's not "up into the air", but a backstop is one that you can see behind the target. We have some deep draws where I live and it's very possible that I could actually shoot downwards at a squirrel on a branch with my rifle, and YES I would do that, no worries, as I can see where the ball will impact after it does its job.

LD

Here in Central Pa. , there is a mixture of farm land , residential , and 10's of thousands of state woodland open to hunting. It's always best to follow the rule of make sure of where your ball will go , after it leaves the muzzle. Be aware of your environment , always. Here's a freak occourance for you. About 1985 , on a tracking snow day , my hunting buddy and I were doing our customary "Pincer" movement on mtn. land , where the two of us find deer , and slowly keep moving them , while repositioning each other using radios , 'till one of us gets a shot opportunity. About two hrs. into the still hunt , I had five deer moving off a flat into a shallow valley. Just as I could see my friend out at about 150 yds , in the valley ahead of me , the herd I was trailing , entered a rhododendron thicket below me. In front of my partner , 12 snow covered , bedded down deer , stood up to see the commotion of people and deer approaching. He shot the biggest doe , killing her. His .58 cal. 300 gr. round ball passed through the doe , struck the root toe of an old hemlock stump , causing the ricochet to go verticle , and slightly backward . I heard the ball come back down through the tree tops , and it landed w/in 20 yds. of where I stood. I looked for it in the snow , but couldn't find it. That was too wierd to imagine. It was all good. We had a fine m/l meat doe , and a strange experience to tell a story. We then pulled the doe the mile and 3/4 back to the truck , and went to a local tavern to discuss the day , and warm up. Ya just can't make this up..

The round ball is the least aerial dynamic projectile fired out of a rifle. I shouldn't go near as far as a .22lr. Still, caution should be taken in populated rural settings. Getting harder to do more all the time around here.

Squirrel Hunting interests me...

what precautions one take when shooting round balls into the air...

The trick after locating a squirrel is to stalk in a circle fashion until you've arrived at a position, in range, with the tree trunk or a thick limb directly behind the squirrels head. This way your ball sinks into solid wood after it passes through the squirrel. The challenge is part of the fun.

If you have located the squirrel and he already sees you, the trick is to let him think YOU haven't seen HIM, and to walk towards him in a wide zig zag fashion, frequently stopping to pick up leaves and twigs, examine rocks, and appear relaxed and focused on something; and never looking straight at his position.

As you make your way towards his tree, he will remain still as a board with one eye on you, and the other on his escape route, and this will allow you to get within 10 yards of him because he knows it's safest for him to remain still and unnoticed.

I use a pistol:

20210903_134009.jpg
20201121_155620.jpg

I haven't had the chance to hunt squirrels with a ML yet but will take my 24-gauge smoothbore when I do. My preferred way is a .410 shotgun with #4 loads and to throw a rock at them and shoot them while they're on the move. Launching a ball anywhere I don't know where it's going to end up is not something I'm willing to do.

Do like some of us here did, move to a hunting friendly state

Do like some of us here did, move to a hunting friendly state
Spend a lot of time in Pa. have one business and two properties there. Something about that river (Delaware) just couldn't get my wife to move across it when we got married. Now at 75 just don't want to move. Although I did get a nice 8 pointer this year 100 or so yds out my back door. New Jersey is a beautiful state, it's the government that's all screwed up.

Last edited:
What was it you used to kill the deer at a hundred yards?
Lyman Trade gun 50 cal. flintlock. I was 100yds from the house the shot was closer to 50 yds, had to take a second shot which was very disappointing, the first was about 5 inches low, but in think I got it straightened out. My first flintlock deer, hoping for many more.

Phil

Last edited:
Back