• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel hunting with the traditions 50 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been hunting deer with my dads CVA big bore Mountain rifle (I have a thread on that already) but my daughter and S.I.L were up this weekend. We were unsuccessful in getting her a deer though. It was a beautiful Nov. day here in Alberta and it has been unseasonably warm. My S.I.L. never grew up hunting or doing to much in the outdoors other than boy scouts. He is very keen and really likes the muzzleloaders. I bought him a used Traditions deer hunter for Christmas last year. He is a cabinet maker and aspires to scratch build a long rifle.
Anyway we went for a woods walk yesterday afternoon before they returned home. I packed the 58 in case we got a chance at a deer, he packed my Traditions 50 cal loaded with shot. I have had good luck with rabbits and grouse with this in the past. The day before my daughter and I hunted this area and we saw 8 ruffed grouse and a rabbit so I thought we'd have a good chance for some. Alas no grouse seen this day but there were some squirrels chattering when we were getting back near the truck. Here in Alberta you can only shoot squirrels on private land, unless you are a trapper on your line. He got one squirrel with the 50 to end the day. I skinned and stretched it to start my trapping season off! It was a blue bird day, a new Muzzleloader hunter is hooked!

Attachments

• IMG_4643.jpg
    IMG_4643.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 3
I skinned and stretched it to start my trapping season off!
Was a trapper for many years but never heard of squirrels classified as furbearers. Are they used for fishing flys? Curious as to why the effort to stretch it, but I'm probably not understanding the end game for the pelt. Can you enlighten me?

Also, is "unseasonably warm" above zero F in Alberta this time of year??? ;) 🙂

Glad the SIL had a good time. As a cabinet maker he should have a fun time building a longrifle from scratch. :thumb:

Was a trapper for many years but never heard of squirrels classified as furbearers. Are they used for fishing flys? Curious as to why the effort to stretch it, but I'm probably not understanding the end game for the pelt. Can you enlighten me?

Also, is "unseasonably warm" above zero F in Alberta this time of year??? ;) 🙂

Glad the SIL had a good time. As a cabinet maker he should have a fun time building a longrifle from scratch. :thumb:
Unseasonably warm for end of Nov. would be 0 F or so. it was 0 C , so about 30 F. Almost no snow either. Squirrels are actively trapped here and are sold like all other fur. Ours are sold through the North American Fur Harvesters auction. It's used for glove trim. I trap lots of them on pole sets with wire snares.

Ok, since I’m not familiar with it, how well does shot work in what I am assuming is a rifle? And sounds like a great time!

Sounds like a fantastic time outdoors! Even though you didn't get a deer, the walk with your daughter and son-in-law was great. Shooting a squirrel with the Traditions 50 cal made it memorable, and introducing someone new to muzzleloader hunting on a sunny day was fantastic!

Latest posts

Back