• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel Hunting and shooting RB into the air.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Squirrel hunting in most of the U/S/A is a tradition shared by folks of all ages, genders, races and religions. It's a grandpa sitting on a log beside a grandchild, two junior high boys strolling along a gravel road with .22's and perhaps a shotgun. Squirrel hunting's either a little dog or a flop-eared hound barking at a bushytail holding onto a hickory tree. It is, literally, one of the best things about living in America.

Throw in fried up in a cast-iron skillet with mashed potatoes, gravy and home-made biscuits slathered with butter and molasses ..maybe sweet tea or black coffee ...boy , howdy, ....I've heard France has some good cooks, but I'll put grandma's fried squirrel up against snails anytime..Come try it !!
Smell is the strongest sense and you got my juices flowing just thinking back.
Thanks!

You've inspired me to finish putting together another ramrod. Drilled out the wood in the thimbles yesterday morning from the old TC rod that broke. Cleaned the old epoxy out of those end pieces with a burr on the dremmel. I had previously turned a maple dowel using the drill, 2x4 and a sharp chisel. Tried hickory, but that was more than my primitive dowel jig could handle. Maple will have to do for now.
Smeared on JB Weld on the implement end last night. Still seems a bit soft, so it sits on a heat duct for another day. The ball end screwed on rather tight. May not next to glue that piece. Thinking of running a thin brass pin through the thimbles crossways to help keep them in place.
Anyway, you get the picture.

I know you are working toward the day where traversing those hills will be enjoyed, pain-free, once again.
Using an arrowshaft-diameter sparkleberry shoot for my CVA Hawken the last 30+ years... Easy to plane down, and the concentric ring structure is stronger than anything else I have ever found.
Would love to find some pieces for my longer guns!

Last edited:
If tuna is chicken of the sea, squirrels are nuggets in the tree.

Once you have one that's fried up right, you'll understand. We cooked a mess of them a few weeks ago, and it was a fine meal.

As kids, a lot of our first introductions to hunting and the woods are experienced in search of bushy tails. It's a lot easier to kill some squirrels with a squirmy halfling than it is a deer. It just kinda sticks after that. At least for me it did.
I can remember having biscuits and squirrel gravy for supper as a kid back in the 50 s. I pity those that missed the opportunity.

I can remember having biscuits and squirrel gravy for supper as a kid back in the 50 s. I pity those that missed the opportunity.
I made a big batch of squirrel and gravy for last Saturday's family gathering. It was received very well. Still have a bit in the fridge. Hmm, about time for dinner.....

Latest posts

Back