• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel Hunting and shooting RB into the air.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only time I have any concern whatsoever about sending a .310 round ball up into the trees while shooting at squirrels is if there is a home or road nearby. Other than that, unless I know someone is out and about in very close proximity, it bothers me not. In short, I'm not about to pull the trigger if I know someone may be in danger.

When ballistically compared, the RB is nowhere near that of a .22 or .22 Mag, even when speeds are the same at the muzzle. By basic design, the round ball looses its velocity/ momentum much, much faster. 20.0 grains of 3F will most of the time be sufficient enough to produce a pass through at normal squirrel hunting distances. But not always. In the image below, the .310 RB was dug out of a squirrel that I shot from only about 15 yards at most. The charge was 20.0 grains of 3F. This was not the first squirrel I have shot with the same type load and RB that did not penetrate fully.

Now consider how distorted the ball is. Even if it had been a complete pass through, how far do you think that RB would have made it? And even if it did, what are the chances it still had enough energy remaining to do harm to someone?

And then we have the very high possibility that the RB is going to hit something else after passing through a squirrel. The tree trunk, tree limb, leaves, another tree limb or tree trunk, etc.

Indeed, we must do our best to ascertain we never hit anyone with whatever projectile we are shooting. However, some basic common sense must be applied as well.

If one is overly concerned about possibly injuring someone when hunting with a RB and shooting up into the trees, then either find a more secluded location to hunt or use a scatter gun. But remember, it is legal to hunt squirrels with a .22 or .22 Mag. Both of which will travel faster and farther downrange than a .32 caliber or .36 caliber RB.

After much actual squirrel hunting and testing with all kinds of squirrel tools over the years, it is to my belief that doing so with a .32 caliber muzzleloader is a close up and personal situation. Regardless of how well one may think they are, or how tight of groups they may shoot from a bench on paper, the real McCoy often gives us a dose of reality. Considering most folks do not equip their .32 caliber muzzleloaders with a a scope, then the idea of getting close has more meaning yet.

Attachments

• .32 Recovered RB.jpeg
    .32 Recovered RB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The only time I have any concern whatsoever about sending a .310 round ball up into the trees while shooting at squirrels is if there is a home or road nearby. Other than that, unless I know someone is out and about in very close proximity, it bothers me not. In short, I'm not about to pull the trigger if I know someone may be in danger.

When ballistically compared, the RB is nowhere near that of a .22 or .22 Mag, even when speeds are the same at the muzzle. By basic design, the round ball looses its velocity/ momentum much, much faster. 20.0 grains of 3F will most of the time be sufficient enough to produce a pass through at normal squirrel hunting distances. But not always. In the image below, the .310 RB was dug out of a squirrel that I shot from only about 15 yards at most. The charge was 20.0 grains of 3F. This was not the first squirrel I have shot with the same type load and RB that did not penetrate fully.

Now consider how distorted the ball is. Even if it had been a complete pass through, how far do you think that RB would have made it? And even if it did, what are the chances it still had enough energy remaining to do harm to someone?

And then we have the very high possibility that the RB is going to hit something else after passing through a squirrel. The tree trunk, tree limb, leaves, another tree limb or tree trunk, etc.

Indeed, we must do our best to ascertain we never hit anyone with whatever projectile are shooting. However, some basic common sense must be applied as well.

If one is overly concerned about possibly injuring someone when hunting with a RB and shooting up into the trees, then either find a more secluded location to hunt or use a scatter gun. But remember, it is legal to hunt squirrels with a .22 or .22 Mag. Both of which will travel faster and farther downrange than a .32 caliber or .36 caliber RB.

After much actual squirrel hunting and testing with all kinds of squirrel tools over the years, it is to my belief that doing so with a .32 caliber muzzleloader is a close up and personal situation. Regardless of how well one may think they are, or how tight of groups they may shoot from a bench on paper, the real McCoy often gives us a dose of reality. Considering most folks do not equip their .32 caliber muzzleloaders with a a scope, then the idea of getting close has more meaning yet.
Unfortunately, times being what they are and people having gotten the way they are,,,, the ball (whether from a miss or a pass through) doesn't need to do harm to a person or property damage for someone to flip put amd make an incident over it. If it just harmlessly fell on someone, or landed on their back deck doing no damage, I'd be amazed if the person or homeowner didn't raise a ruckus.

And in some places it isn't so easy to know just how close one is to a home or road,,,, without walking around constantly monitoring one of these new topo map/property line apps. I have a spot that I hunt that if I was new to the area and it was early in the season, I would never know I was too close to the back of a house to be legally hunting with any type of gun. It would be very easy for someone new to the area to walk up that state forest "road"/trail, see a squirrel, and take a shot that could hit that house or at least fall on the back deck, without ever knowing it.

Unfortunately, times being what they are and people having gotten the way they are,,,, the ball (whether from a miss or a pass through) doesn't need to do harm to a person or property damage for someone to flip put amd make an incident over it. If it just harmlessly fell on someone, or landed on their back deck doing no damage, I'd be amazed if the person or homeowner didn't raise a ruckus.

And in some places it isn't so easy to know just how close one is to a home or road,,,, without walking around constantly monitoring one of these new topo map/property line apps. I have a spot that I hunt that if I was new to the area and it was early in the season, I would never know I was too close to the back of a house to be legally hunting with any type of gun. It would be very easy for someone new to the area to walk up that state forest "road"/trail, see a squirrel, and take a shot that could hit that house or at least fall on the back deck, without ever knowing it.
True, in part. However, if I were so afraid to feel such way, I would find a more remote place to hunt or give up hunting. Even an arrow can deflect and cause such a ruckus.

Twice (in the same location) I've been up in a tree stand and had bird shot rain down all around me. A couple of younger folks were shooting at squirrels up the hill with shotguns. I didn't see the need to raise a ruckus then nor now due to it.

Last edited:
True, in part. However, if I were so afraid to feel such way, I would find a more remote place to hunt or give up hunting. Even an arrow can deflect and cause such a ruckus.

Twice (in the same location) I've been up in a tree stand and had bird shot rain down all around me. A couple of younger folks were shooting at squirrels up the hill with shotguns. I didn't see the need to raise a ruckus then nor now due to it.
I've had shot rain down around me when bow hunting, too. The only aggravation was the fellow wasn't supposed to be in those woods, and his doing so messed up my hunt. The patter of #6 shot wasn't a concern. Now if he had been shooting at a low hanging squirrel in my direction, well, that would have made for a really bad morning.

ETipp, I've camped out below Somerset, KY twice for the Spring season and have mostly enjoyed the experience. Found out that June is better than May for good activity, and the ticks are worse than I've ever dealt with, and I've pulled countless ticks off my body in SW Ohio when growing up on the farm/orchard. As conscious of surroundings and direction as I am shooting at squirrels back home I was much more relaxed by the incredible amount of woods and hills down your way.

That blood test from a Lone Star tick whose bite turned red and proud from the trip last May was an expense that caused those few squirrels we shot to be the highest priced meat in all of the western hemisphere. Cook those Greys up, along with a few more I've killed in Ohio, in gravy for the family just this past weekend. It was good to extend the camping / hunting trip out to Christmas.

Hope you are doing well. Figure you are out of surgery now and readying yourself for the PT to follow.
Christopher

I've had shot rain down around me when bow hunting, too. The only aggravation was the fellow wasn't supposed to be in those woods, and his doing so messed up my hunt. The patter of #6 shot wasn't a concern. Now if he had been shooting at a low hanging squirrel in my direction, well, that would have made for a really bad morning.

ETipp, I've camped out below Somerset, KY twice for the Spring season and have mostly enjoyed the experience. Found out that June is better than May for good activity, and the ticks are worse than I've ever dealt with, and I've pulled countless ticks off my body in SW Ohio when growing up on the farm/orchard. As conscious of surroundings and direction as I am shooting at squirrels back home I was much more relaxed by the incredible amount of woods and hills down your way.

That blood test from a Lone Star tick whose bite turned red and proud from the trip last May was an expense that caused those few squirrels we shot to be the highest priced meat in all of the western hemisphere. Cook those Greys up, along with a few more I've killed in Ohio, in gravy for the family just this past weekend. It was good to extend the camping / hunting trip out to Christmas.

Hope you are doing well. Figure you are out of surgery now and readying yourself for the PT to follow.
Christopher
Never good to be in close proximity of falling projectiles for sure, but what few times I have experienced it, it didn't shake me up.

For sure, there's a lot of forest land to hunt in this area, thus it gives one a chance to be out there away from people, for the most part anyway, depending on specific location. There's miles and miles of DB National Forest to hunt if one choses to do so. All the land I hunt is private property but I still exercise caution whenever near any dwelling or road, which isn't much.

FWIW, last June proved to be the best for early season squirrel hunting at my happy hunting grounds. The last week of early season was tops.

This entire area for miles and miles is covered up with ticks. I spray down anytime I am not bow hunting. After a bad and unfortunate bout of RMSTF (that I have never gotten over) I'm a bit more adamant about spraying down. Last thing I need is to be bitten by a Lone Star Tick.

Post knee replacement surgery has been interesting to say the least. As hunters we need the use of our legs, especially in this steep country. Therefore I keep that in mind while recovering and doing PT, which is a royal pain. l have not been able to establish if/when I over do it. The PT piles it on and tells me to do more. I do more and wind up in a bad way, as I am once again experiencing today. I'm going to win this fight, just going to take some time. As for now, I keep my thoughts on hunting with my muzzle loaders, primarily my Crockett squirrel rifle. Squirrel hunting with a .32 caliber ML is extremely unique. IMO, its something folks just has to experience before they can understand how challenging it is.

Last edited:
Never good to be in close proximity of falling projectiles for sure, but what few times I have experienced it, it didn't shake me up.

For sure, there's a lot of forest land to hunt in this area, thus it gives one a chance to be out there away from people, for the most part anyway, depending on specific location. There's miles and miles of DB National Forest to hunt if one choses to do so. All the land I hunt is private property but I still exercise caution whenever near any dwelling or road, which isn't much.

FWIW, last June proved to be the best for early season squirrel hunting at my happy hunting grounds. The last week of early season was tops.

This entire area for miles and miles is covered up with ticks. I spray down anytime I am not bow hunting. After a bad and unfortunate bout of RMSTF (that I have never gotten over) I'm a bit more adamant about spraying down. Last thing I need is to be bitten by a Lone Star Tick.

Post knee replacement surgery has been interesting to say the least. As hunters we need the use of our legs, especially in this steep country. Therefore I keep that in mind while recovering and doing PT, which is a royal pain. l have not been able to establish if/when I over do it. The PT piles it on and tells me to do more. I do more and wind up in a bad way, as I am once again experiencing today. I'm going to win this fight, just going to take some time. As for now, I keep my thoughts on hunting with my muzzle loaders, primarily my Crockett squirrel rifle. Squirrel hunting with a .32 caliber ML is extremely unique. IMO, its something folks just has to experience it before they can understand how challenging it is.
You've inspired me to finish putting together another ramrod. Drilled out the wood in the thimbles yesterday morning from the old TC rod that broke. Cleaned the old epoxy out of those end pieces with a burr on the dremmel. I had previously turned a maple dowel using the drill, 2x4 and a sharp chisel. Tried hickory, but that was more than my primitive dowel jig could handle. Maple will have to do for now.
Smeared on JB Weld on the implement end last night. Still seems a bit soft, so it sits on a heat duct for another day. The ball end screwed on rather tight. May not next to glue that piece. Thinking of running a thin brass pin through the thimbles crossways to help keep them in place.
Anyway, you get the picture.

I know you are working toward the day where traversing those hills will be enjoyed, pain-free, once again.

Chris, I install small diameter brass pins when I build up my ramrods. Personally, I believe it makes perfect sense to do so. No doubt it aids in keeping the tips in place.

Good luck on the RR build.

I see from here and on several films that squirrel hunting is very popular in North America. Why is this? There doesn't seem to be much meat on them. Is it a means of pest control, or simply recreation; moving target etc? I'm not asking this judgementally, I'm just curious. Regarding people being hit by falling projectiles, here in France about a dozen people a year get killed by rifle bullets when the 'Chasse' is in progress. Sometimes they are innocently using a public road where no warning signs have been put up.

I see from here and on several films that squirrel hunting is very popular in North America. Why is this? There doesn't seem to be much meat on them. Is it a means of pest control, or simply recreation; moving target etc? I'm not asking this judgementally, I'm just curious. Regarding people being hit by falling projectiles, here in France about a dozen people a year get killed by rifle bullets when the 'Chasse' is in progress. Sometimes they are innocently using a public road where no warning signs have been put up.
If tuna is chicken of the sea, squirrels are nuggets in the tree.

Once you have one that's fried up right, you'll understand. We cooked a mess of them a few weeks ago, and it was a fine meal.

As kids, a lot of our first introductions to hunting and the woods are experienced in search of bushy tails. It's a lot easier to kill some squirrels with a squirmy halfling than it is a deer. It just kinda sticks after that. At least for me it did.

Squirrel hunting in most of the U/S/A is a tradition shared by folks of all ages, genders, races and religions. It's a grandpa sitting on a log beside a grandchild, two junior high boys strolling along a gravel road with .22's and perhaps a shotgun. Squirrel hunting's either a little dog or a flop-eared hound barking at a bushytail holding onto a hickory tree. It is, literally, one of the best things about living in America.

Throw in fried up in a cast-iron skillet with mashed potatoes, gravy and home-made biscuits slathered with butter and molasses ..maybe sweet tea or black coffee ...boy , howdy, ....I've heard France has some good cooks, but I'll put grandma's fried squirrel up against snails anytime..Come try it !!

"Throw in fried up in a cast-iron skillet with mashed potatoes, gravy and home-made biscuits"

Unless you shoot one of those old boars with a sack that looks like leather from dragging it around, you put him in a casserole dish and cook him low and slow covered with your favorite gravy or he will be tough as tough can be.

As with many things in life, its a personal thing.

To begin with, squirrel hunting is a dying sport in the USA. Not many people hunt squirrels nowadays. Frontiersman fed themselves by eating squirrels while out trapping and exploring. Years ago squirrels was a means of providing food for the family especially during difficult times. Squirrels can almost always be found most anywhere. Therefore, they have been a good food source for hundreds of years.

Nowadays, its more of a tradition for some of us, but not all. All of my family were from the Smokey Mountains area. They were very poor. During the great depression years my dad actually had to quit school in the 6th grade to take care of the family. He did much of that by carrying a squirrel rifle over his shoulder. So no doubt some of squirrel hunting has carried over to myself. So much so that I can actually feel it within me at times, especially when I am squirrel hunting the hills and mountains in KY with my .32 Crockett squirrel rifle.

With a thriving squirrel population in this part of the USA, as well as fewer people hunting them, its a wonderful sport to engage in. When using a small caliber ML rifle, it will put some of the best hunters through the test, in terms being a woodsman, a hunter, a marksman, and will test ones patience to the limit. Trying to sneak up on squirrels without being detected, and waiting for a good shot on a squirrel that seems to seldom sit still, that are way up in the tops of large trees, can be a real challenge. Sometimes somewhat easy, but most of the time not. I have spent nearly an hour waiting on one squirrel so present itself with a descent shot.

Different times of the year changes squirrels behaviors. Like many things in life, its in a constant state of change. Thus it can require different tactics. Most hunters in the USA focus on deer hunting. Most of the time its a fairly short season. That can be extended some by use of a different deer tools. However, depending on location, squirrel season is a much longer and drawn out season. It can all be done with a .32 ML here in this neck of the woods. Season begins in May and June, closes then reopens in August. It remans open until end Feb. So, squirrel season in KY offers a hunter with much enjoyment and time in the woods.

Lastly, squirrels are fun to hunt and provides some very good, high protein meat.

Anyone can kill squirrels with a shotgun or a scoped small caliber CF rifle. But few people decide to to it the old fashion way by using a small caliber ML with open sights. In these hills and mountains, its a sport like no other.

Many people use dogs to hunt squirrels, which can be very rewarding in itself. It is best suited during the winter months after the leaves have fallen.

Some folks prefer to sit next to a tree and wait for a squirrel to get within range. Not my way of hunting but most of the time, if a person sits in one spot long enough, a squirrel will present itself with a shot.

Yet other prefer to park next to known den trees and wait for squirrels to come out.

Regardless of method one chooses, when using a small caliber ML rifle shooting a RB, it will require some pretty good marksmanship. Most of the time that will require a tree or log to get a good rest off of.

Last edited:
If tuna is chicken of the sea, squirrels are nuggets in the tree.

Once you have one that's fried up right, you'll understand. We cooked a mess of them a few weeks ago, and it was a fine meal.

As kids, a lot of our first introductions to hunting and the woods are experienced in search of bushy tails. It's a lot easier to kill some squirrels with a squirmy halfling than it is a deer. It just kinda sticks after that. At least for me it did.
Thank you! That all sounds logical.

As with many things in life, its a personal thing.

To begin with, squirrel hunting is a dying sport in the USA. Not many people hunt squirrels nowadays. Frontiersman fed themselves by eating squirrels while out trapping and exploring. Years ago squirrels was a means of providing food for the family especially during difficult times. Squirrels can almost always be found most anywhere. Therefore, they have been a good food source for hundreds of years.

Nowadays, its more of a tradition for some of us, but not all. All of my family were from the Smokey Mountains area. They were very poor. During the great depression years my dad actually had to quit school in the 6th grade to take care of the family. He did much of that by carrying a squirrel rifle over his shoulder. So no doubt some of squirrel hunting has carried over to myself. So much so that I can actually feel it within me at times, especially when I am squirrel hunting the hills and mountains in KY with my .32 Crockett squirrel rifle.

With a thriving squirrel population in this part of the USA, as well as fewer people hunting them, its a wonderful sport to engage in. When using a small caliber ML rifle, it will put some of the best hunters through the test, in terms being a woodsman, a hunter, a marksman, and will test ones patience to the limit. Trying to sneak up on squirrels without being detected, and waiting for a good shot on a squirrel that seems to seldom sit still, that are way up in the tops of large trees, can be a real challenge. Sometimes somewhat easy, but most of the time not. I have spent nearly an hour waiting on one squirrel so present itself with a descent shot.

Different times of the year changes squirrels behaviors. Like many things in life, its in a constant state of change. Thus it can require different tactics. Most hunters in the USA focus on deer hunting. Most of the time its a fairly short season. That can be extended some by use of a different deer tools. However, depending on location, squirrel season is a much longer and drawn out season. It can all be done with a .32 ML here in this neck of the woods. Season begins in May and June, closes then reopens in August. It remans open until end Feb. So, squirrel season in KY offers a hunter with much enjoyment and time in the woods.

Lastly, squirrels are fun to hunt and provides some very good, high protein meat.

Anyone can kill squirrels with a shotgun or a scoped small caliber CF rifle. But few people decide to to it the old fashion way by using a small caliber ML with open sights. In these hills and mountains, its a sport like no other.

Many people use dogs to hunt squirrels, which can be very rewarding in itself. It is best suited during the winter months after the leaves have fallen.

Some folks prefer to sit next to a tree and wait for a squirrel to get within range. Not my way of hunting but most of the time, if a person sits in one spot long enough, a squirrel will present itself with a shot.

Yet other prefer to park next to known den trees and wait for squirrels to come out.

Regardless of method one chooses, when using a small caliber ML rifle shooting a RB, it will require some pretty good marksmanship. Most of the time that will require a tree or log to get a good rest off of.
Thank you for your reply it all makes perfect sense now. I see that Traditions do a .32 Crockett rifle...

Squirrel hunting in most of the U/S/A is a tradition shared by folks of all ages, genders, races and religions. It's a grandpa sitting on a log beside a grandchild, two junior high boys strolling along a gravel road with .22's and perhaps a shotgun. Squirrel hunting's either a little dog or a flop-eared hound barking at a bushytail holding onto a hickory tree. It is, literally, one of the best things about living in America.

Throw in fried up in a cast-iron skillet with mashed potatoes, gravy and home-made biscuits slathered with butter and molasses ..maybe sweet tea or black coffee ...boy , howdy, ....I've heard France has some good cooks, but I'll put grandma's fried squirrel up against snails anytime..Come try it !!
I would love to try it! Also to go on a proper hunt, out all day or even weekend with my rifle. France is far better than my native England for that, but still doesn't compete with the US or Canada with their wide open spaces. It would be so nice to try it just the once!

I would love to try it! Also to go on a proper hunt, out all day or even weekend with my rifle. France is far better than my native England for that, but still doesn't compete with the US or Canada with their wide open spaces. It would be so nice to try it just the once!
SBH, during the later fall and early winter I have stayed out in the hills/mountains squirrel hunting for 9 hours or so. Earlier hunts are cut back to maybe 4 hours at the most due to higher temps and flies that gets on the squirrels I have gotten. Just recently on a few of my last hunts for the year I remember telling myself that I didn't want to come back down from the woods. I just wanted to stay up there. But it was getting late and I had my squirrels and ML to clean, so I headed out.

Squirrel Hunting interests me, use to hunt them with shotgun when I was young. I live in a populated state and was wondering what precautions one take when shooting round balls into the air. I know when deer hunting I always make sure there is dirt in the background of my shot.

Squirrel Hunting interests me, use to hunt them with shotgun when I was young. I live in a populated state and was wondering what precautions one take when shooting round balls into the air. I know when deer hunting I always make sure there is dirt in the background of my shot.
Amish girl killed by errant gunshot - UPI.com
Read this years ago, round ball shot in air kills.

Amish girl killed by errant gunshot - UPI.com
Read this years ago, round ball shot in air kill
I ain't buying that one. A mile to 1.5 miles. Nope. Not a round ball. I have my doubts as to a heavier conical being able to go that far.

If anything it might be a higher powered, new fandango unmentionable.

Either way it was not a small caliber, ML squirrel rifle shooting a RB.

Last edited:
I ain't buying that one. A mile to 1.5 miles. Nope. Not a round ball. I have my doubts as to a heavier conical being able to go that far.

If anything it might be higher powered, new fandango unmentionable.

Either way it was not a small caliber, ML squirrel rifle shooting a RB.
I read both articles in the link. It doesn't mention a round ball, only that the man fired his muzzleloader into the air. A sabotted 150 grain 35 or 240 grain 44 caliber projectile with 150 grains worth of pyrodex pellets, possibly at 45° might travel that far. A round ball, highly, highly doubt it plausible. PRB's and conicals drop like a rock much past 200 yards using a normal charge of BP from my experience.

I read both articles in the link. It doesn't mention a round ball, only that the man fired his muzzleloader into the air. A sabotted 150 grain 35 or 240 grain 44 caliber projectile with 150 grains worth of pyrodex pellets, possibly at 45° might travel that far. A round ball, highly, highly doubt it plausible. PRB's and conicals drop like a rock much past 200 yards using a normal charge of BP from my experience.
Agreed, Chris. That was my point. This thread is about squirrel hunting and shooting a RB up into the air.

5280/3 = 1760 yards.

1760 X 1.5 = 2640 yards.

I still have my doubts if it is even possible from those distances with any sporting ML shooting any hunting projectile. Not saying it didn't happen but I do question the reported distance.

Back