• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great hunt this evening. I laughed a lot.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin B.

32 Cal
Reaction score
I was hunting with my home made flintlock today. It was cold and windy in Western New York. In the morning I saw some squirrels. Then in the afternoon I saw some rabbit. To me that is a good sign and I said to myself: "The deer comes next". 30 minutes later, a nice 8 point came into one of my shooting lanes. I pulled the set trigger back and got ready to shoot. I grabbed the gun and touched the trigger to get ready Booom! and shot in the air. The buck spun around and ran of unharmed. I laughed a lot. This is a story you cannot make up, but must experience. It was a great hunt. I saw animals, shot my rifle and laughed a lot. Live is good!

I once crept up on some deer. Didn't see the buck 40 yds closer and 40 yds from me. Cocked the rifle with trigger pulled to avoid the click as he didn't see me. Let trigger go, let lock go, let deer go (shot ground 3 feet in front of me and sprayed dirt all over). He broke every record for running deer. Two days later in the same area there was a gut pile. I may have laughed now days but then I said words without humor!

I was hunting with my home made flintlock today. It was cold and windy in Western New York. In the morning I saw some squirrels. Then in the afternoon I saw some rabbit. To me that is a good sign and I said to myself: "The deer comes next". 30 minutes later, a nice 8 point came into one of my shooting lanes. I pulled the set trigger back and got ready to shoot. I grabbed the gun and touched the trigger to get ready Booom! and shot in the air. The buck spun around and ran of unharmed. I laughed a lot. This is a story you cannot make up, but must experience. It was a great hunt. I saw animals, shot my rifle and laughed a lot. Live is good!
It's really all about the Total Experience. I shot at a buck opening day right on a two-track about 5 minutes after I started walking into the woods. I don't know how I missed. Had time to set my trigger and everything, and he was just standing there staring at me.

Several years ago I was hunting on opening day. Just shortly after dawn a 4 pointer and a doe walked down the hill in front of me, passed on those. About a half hour later a 6 point walked down and again I passed. Well another half hour and here comes an 8 point not a wall hanger but nice size deer and meat in the freezer so I took him. Well next morning I am back on the stand to try for a doe. Just after dawn here comes this monster that looks like he has a tree on his head and he is standing on the hill across from me and I swear he is looking straight at me. I know that big boy was sending those smaller deer out as decoys and I fell for it.

I laugh at myself as well when I "screw up" somehow and lose a good opportunity. I smile and silently congratulate the animal on winning that round! A lot of the fun of a hunt is the challenge (and some luck) of everything going just right, and accepting, with good humor, when it doesn't.

I never use the set trigger while hunting. I use it during load development, but all my practice is without it. I almost always wear gloves while hunting and, for my use, a touchy set trigger invites the possibility of firing before ready.

I almost always wear gloves while hunting and, for my use, a touchy set trigger invites the possibility of firing before ready.
This is why I roll with glomitts when it's "warm" cold and chopper mittens that can be pulled off under the other arm quickly when it's cold cold

The brown jersey gloves were wet from an all day hunt, and the day was cold, quite cold. Finally, at the end of the day, the deer filed out nigh of 40 yards of my position leaned against the line fence. With frozen fingers the hammer was cocked. The mzlder resting on my knee the forefinger moved to set the trigger, pulling it hard and steady. Why wouldn't it 'click' was what I was asking myself when the BOOM erupted.
Deer sceedaddled.. I was left stunned and displeased. Learned then and there all those years ago bitter cold fingers cannot tell the difference between the set trigger and the regular trigger. Keeping feeling in those digits is very important. Lol

It was a better day today. I saw the same buck again, but got no shot. However, minutes later 4 nice does walked by and I got this one.

Attachments

• 20231226_163321.jpg
    20231226_163321.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
I’m trying to follow. Your gun was standing up and you cocked the set trigger then when you went to shoulder it it went off on the way up?

Latest posts

Back