• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sportsman's warehouse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You can order stuff that never shows up in your local store for free shipment to the store. I ordered some .451 Speer balls that my local store doesn't. ever stock and they showed up quickly and for a good price. Quite a bit less than the Hornady that they do stock but never seem to have. This might work for other big chains also. If you have a local chain store it might be worth checking into. If you order caps, make sure that they don't add a hazmat fee.

I like Sportsman’s Warehouse, they’re the only chain store I still shop with.
I feel the same way. The closest store to me seems like it’s on the decline sadly. Lots of open floor space and was very picked over the last two times I was there. I can’t stand bass pro, I use to be a cabelas junkie but we all know that story.

I feel the same way. The closest store to me seems like it’s on the decline sadly. Lots of open floor space and was very picked over the last two times I was there. I can’t stand bass pro, I use to be a cabelas junkie but we all know that story.
Yep, there all on the down hill slide.

I worked part-time at the Sportsman's in Medford, OR, for a couple of years after retiring from newspapers. Really enjoyed it. Many chain stores suffer from management/corporate buyers from afar. The HQ was in Colorado in those years and the buyers didn't know quite what to make of our store's constant requests for unfamiliar salmon and steelhead tackle -- or why we weren't selling more inlines than traditional MLs. (Inlines were not lawful for use during ML seasons in that state.)

IMHO Sportsman Warehouse SUCKS. I have one located 3 miles from my house and they never have anything I need. Their selection sucks as do their prices. They had a Vortex optics month and offered some great prices on scopes on sale. I showed up before their doors opened and when they did I was the only person in the store and they had zero sale scopes in stock!!! The manager said I could buy one online and get the sale price and when I said what is the point of having this store for you to manage if the plan is to tell people to go home and shop online? He looked very confused for a second then I could see the moment he realized his future as a “ store manager” wasn’t looking so bright.

Lots of reasons for it. But the basic fact is the internet has changed the way we shop now. Brick and mortar store fronts are being replaced by warehouses and delivery trucks. Only those items Amazon refuses to support will continue as is for any length of time. But even then I suspect these too will eventually go the way of the Dodo Bird.

Today one can work remotely, shop remotely, attend school remotely and even visit the doctor remotely. Except for emergency medical issues I see the majority of the country spending their entire lives within 200 feet of where they were born. And when you have that medical emergency I sure hope someone nearby had the ambition to become an EMT.

When they opened a Sportsmans Warehouse store in my area, I was thrilled. Especially when I found they carry traditional muzzleloading supplies. However, their inventory control is terrible. Everything they run out of never gets replaced. Anytime you ask the people in the store they either don't know or don't care.
This is not only for muzzleloading supplies, but also for fishing, cooking/smoking and other items.
They must have a standard supply for stock items, no matter where the store location is. For some reason they stock gold panning supplies. I doubt very seriously very many people in the state of Florida pan for gold.
I'm glad they chose to open a store here however I'm afraid it's not going to last very long.

Lots of reasons for it. But the basic fact is the internet has changed the way we shop now. Brick and mortar store fronts are being replaced by warehouses and delivery trucks. Only those items Amazon refuses to support will continue as is for any length of time. But even then I suspect these too will eventually go the way of the Dodo Bird.

Today one can work remotely, shop remotely, attend school remotely and even visit the doctor remotely. Except for emergency medical issues I see the majority of the country spending their entire lives within 200 feet of where they were born. And when you have that medical emergency I sure hope someone nearby had the ambition to become an EMT.
You are a smart man! Most people have an I.Q. of two and wont get out of the rain unless they feel water falling on them? Man, water and electricity all take the path of least resistance and that isn't always the best way to go. I am old, cantankerous and think like a Neanderthal. My only problem is I like it that way! LOL!
Your observation of the situation is spot on.

Academy Sports moved into a former useless Dick's spot where my son lives last year. I haven't been into the store yet but will this summer. I have ordered some merchandise for pick up at the store and had my son pick it up so it is waiting for me when I go visit. They don't seem to carry much muzzleloading stuff though.

When they opened a Sportsmans Warehouse store in my area, I was thrilled. Especially when I found they carry traditional muzzleloading supplies. However, their inventory control is terrible. Everything they run out of never gets replaced. Anytime you ask the people in the store they either don't know or don't care.
This is not only for muzzleloading supplies, but also for fishing, cooking/smoking and other items.
They must have a standard supply for stock items, no matter where the store location is. For some reason they stock gold panning supplies. I doubt very seriously very many people in the state of Florida pan for gold.
I'm glad they chose to open a store here however I'm afraid it's not going to last very long.
I’ve experienced that. I was looking for some #4 or #5 shot in bulk. The guy did not understand what I was talking about. I asked if he could order some and he said that get what they get and to check back. I’d prefer to buy locally however seems I can’t on all things

Many years ago, mid-70's, there was a small store called Sportsman's Warehouse, but probably not connected to the modern store. Anyway, it caught fire one time and all sorts of guns went kaput. The ATF was there, etc. They had a nice Rem. percussion revolver that had really nice grips, and it too went the way of the barbecue!

Many years ago, mid-70's, there was a small store called Sportsman's Warehouse, but probably not connected to the modern store. Anyway, it caught fire one time and all sorts of guns went kaput. The ATF was there, etc. They had a nice Rem. percussion revolver that had really nice grips, and it too went the way of the barbecue!
Maybe not best thread but brings to mind. Josey Wales house burned down but he finds among the ashes a pistol, wood grips and all intact. What?. Anyone else ponder that scene?

I’ve experienced that. I was looking for some #4 or #5 shot in bulk. The guy did not understand what I was talking about. I asked if he could order some and he said that get what they get and to check back. I’d prefer to buy locally however seems I can’t on all things
The guy did not know what #4 and 5 shot was? I'd call for his manager and see if he was any smarter.

The guy did not know what #4 and 5 shot was? I'd call for his manager and see if he was any smarter.
At least that was better than some sales guy pretending to know what you are talking about and trying to BS you into buying something else that he or she thinks you might get on a whim…

I know guys that work all the gun counters in my area. Large chain stores and small shops. I make the rounds a couple of times a week. Some of the **** I hear from their customers while standing at the counter makes me cringe. There are a whole bunch of asstards out there that maybe shouldn't be around gunpowder and gunpowder accessories. And I am talking about customers.

Last edited:
Back