• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sources of treated tinder fungus?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there anywhere to get ready to use tinder fungus? When I’ve looked on Etsy, there doesn’t seem to be in stock American options, and there seems to be issues shipping fungus from abroad. I know it grows in the US, but I don’t have the space to treat it, due to the potential smell.

Hmmmm, this article appears to imply it might already serve as an ignition source!

Tinder Fungus Description:​

Tinder fungus is a fungal species that produce large, porous fruiting bodies that often resemble a horse’s hoof. They vary in color but are most commonly gray, black, or brown. The body can be from 2-17 inches across, 1-10 inches wide, and 1-10 inches tall. The mushroom is woody and hard, with a bumpy, rough upper surface and a cream-colored, porous underside.

Hosts:​

This fungus grows on various tree species, but most commonly on hardwoods. In the North, birch trees have been found to be more susceptible, while beech trees are commonly infected in the South.

Biology & Symptoms:​

Tinder fungus gets its name for its use to start fires. It is an active ingredient in Amado, which is a material used as tinder. Tinder fungus is a parasitic species that enters a tree through cracked bark or broken branches, causing decay or rot. Infected wood will likely show black lines, which is a common sign of decay. Tinder fungus can remain on its host for years, eventually turning from a parasite to a decomposer once the tree has died.

2D00CB1E-928C-43FB-9EC6-3283DE7FB26A.png

Link = Tinder Fungus: Identification, Prevention & Management | Davey Tree

Hmmmm, this article appears to imply it might already serve as an ignition source!

Tinder Fungus Description:​

Tinder fungus is a fungal species that produce large, porous fruiting bodies that often resemble a horse’s hoof. They vary in color but are most commonly gray, black, or brown. The body can be from 2-17 inches across, 1-10 inches wide, and 1-10 inches tall. The mushroom is woody and hard, with a bumpy, rough upper surface and a cream-colored, porous underside.

Hosts:​

This fungus grows on various tree species, but most commonly on hardwoods. In the North, birch trees have been found to be more susceptible, while beech trees are commonly infected in the South.

Biology & Symptoms:​

Tinder fungus gets its name for its use to start fires. It is an active ingredient in Amado, which is a material used as tinder. Tinder fungus is a parasitic species that enters a tree through cracked bark or broken branches, causing decay or rot. Infected wood will likely show black lines, which is a common sign of decay. Tinder fungus can remain on its host for years, eventually turning from a parasite to a decomposer once the tree has died.

View attachment 257624

Link = Tinder Fungus: Identification, Prevention & Management | Davey Tree
Hmmm interesting. Given that, I wonder if just drying it out would be enough?

We have those all over the place. Will pick a bunch and dry. I knew they could be used for tinder but have not heard of boiling with potash. Will dry some and try without the potash.
Let us know what you find out. More "magic" stones & mushrooms for the Fuererwaffen!

We have those all over the place. Will pick a bunch and dry. I knew they could be used for tinder but have not heard of boiling with potash. Will dry some and try without the potash.
Let us know what you find out. More "magic" stones & mushrooms for the Fuererwaffen!
I looked more into it and it seems like the most important prep step is removing the inner fiber from the hard outer flesh.

Mysticism was originally a big part of gun powder technology and now it’s come full circle. I wonder if you can light an arquebus with dried sage…

… just don’t eat it … or at least leave me your fire locks in your will … if ye must eat it! :ghostly:

I know people use chaga as an herbal remedy, and I think horse hoof polypores have had medicinal uses too. I have harvested some from dead birch trees and exposed the felt-like layer directly under the hard shell. You can’t use the pores or the shell as a tinder. It’s pretty tough to get the outer shell off, but a little easier if you work on it immediately after collecting it. There is a place called Beaver Bushcraft in the UK that often has tinder fungus in stock.

Having said all of that, I have not been successful with lighting tinder fungus yet with flint and steel.

I would suggest you check out the "other" tinder fungus; chaga. Typically it will take a spark without any treatment needed and will smoulder a long time in a small chunk of fungus. The outside looks like its nickname, Bear manure Fungus, and the interior will be a yellow/orange color. If the interior dries out too much, you can always grind it into a powder and drop a spark into that; be sure you have it on some birchbark to help you out with starting your fire.

While chaga makes an excellent tea, it's also a wonderful fire starter.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - I find it mostly growing on birch trees but also know a few places where I'll find it on maples.

I would suggest you check out the "other" tinder fungus; chaga. Typically it will take a spark without any treatment needed and will smoulder a long time in a small chunk of fungus. The outside looks like its nickname, Bear manure Fungus, and the interior will be a yellow/orange color. If the interior dries out too much, you can always grind it into a powder and drop a spark into that; be sure you have it on some birchbark to help you out with starting your fire.

While chaga makes an excellent tea, it's also a wonderful fire starter.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - I find it mostly growing on birch trees but also know a few places where I'll find it on maples.
Is that more common up north, if it is on birch and maple?

Is there anywhere to get ready to use tinder fungus? When I’ve looked on Etsy, there doesn’t seem to be in stock American options, and there seems to be issues shipping fungus from abroad. I know it grows in the US, but I don’t have the space to treat it, due to the potential smell.
I'm not sure but if you find it....swipe left
FettGrins.gif

Amadou is a common name for the tinder fungus. A specific species is Fomes fomentarius. The processed (stripped and pounded) piece resembles smoke brain tan buckskin. It can be difficult to ignite with flint and steel but easy with flint on an iron pyrite called marcasite. Chaga is the common name for "true" tinder fungus. Its scientific named in Inonotus obliquous. It is ideal for a natural, untreated tinder (NUT - coined by a primitive technologist on Paleoplanet) that is easily ignited with flint and steel and burns so vigorously you often have to extinguish it with water or spit. Just trying to rub or rush the burning coal makes it burn more. It is harder to find since it is used in herbal medicine. Jas Townsend and Sons used to sell it but I haven't seen it lately in their catalogs. I am curious how the amadou is used in a tinder gun? Is it like a matchlock and uses the fungus instead of a nitrated rope? Anyone have a photo of such an animal?

Amadou is a common name for the tinder fungus. A specific species is Fomes fomentarius. The processed (stripped and pounded) piece resembles smoke brain tan buckskin. It can be difficult to ignite with flint and steel but easy with flint on an iron pyrite called marcasite. Chaga is the common name for "true" tinder fungus. Its scientific named in Inonotus obliquous. It is ideal for a natural, untreated tinder (NUT - coined by a primitive technologist on Paleoplanet) that is easily ignited with flint and steel and burns so vigorously you often have to extinguish it with water or spit. Just trying to rub or rush the burning coal makes it burn more. It is harder to find since it is used in herbal medicine. Jas Townsend and Sons used to sell it but I haven't seen it lately in their catalogs. I am curious how the amadou is used in a tinder gun? Is it like a matchlock and uses the fungus instead of a nitrated rope? Anyone have a photo of such an animal?
There is a good evidence that it is actually the original form of matchlock

IMG_9714.jpeg

IMG_9713.jpeg

Rarest Early Ammunition Accouterments: MATCHCORD/SLOW MATCH - Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Do you know why pyrite works better? Does it make a hotter spark?

I usually found it on birch and poplar trees, both dead and alive ones. What I did to process it was to slice it very thin, like 1/16” and put it in a can with a small hole in the lid. The exact same process as making char cloth. You could use a knife to do this but I was doing it in bigger quantities for demonstration; so I just used a bandsaw with a dust collector attached! Firstly, cutting off the hard top surface; then doing the slicing.
Up here in Canada we call it ”bracket fungus.”

@TobJohn - Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been gone since I wrote that post on chaga. I do know you can find it relatively easily in the northeast. I live in central NYS and we find it in the Catskills and Adirondacks. It's also easy to find in VT & NH where I spent a significant amount of time.

Hope that helps. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back