• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sources of treated tinder fungus?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm interesting. Given that, I wonder if just drying it out would be enough?
I’m working on finding out. Harvested some at my parents’ cabin when I was there this summer. Had it in a paper sack in the trunk for almost a month and a half. A friend of mine said it needs to be charred- not like charcoal, but just to light a corner on fire and snuff it after a little bit. I’ll post results…
Jay

Jon and all,
No time to read all the thread right now, and an interesting one it is, but I am sure I told you some time ago that horseshoe fungus does Not need any treatment apart from drying.

To dry, put it in a sunny window.
Do not dry it in an oven. it spoils it.
its all I use in my "mushroom lock".
You want the part that looks like cork.

Sorry no time to stop and read more, but hope to get back here real soon!

Best,
Rich.

Jon and all,
No time to read all the thread right now, and an interesting one it is, but I am sure I told you some time ago that horseshoe fungus does Not need any treatment apart from drying.

Best,
Rich.
You are right, you had mentioned drying it in the window.

I wonder what the point of treating it with potash is in the cap n ball video?

Jon and all,

Best,
Rich.
We need to get you some sort of historical or cultural grant, so you can spend more time sharing your knowledge and incredible gunsmithing!

Picked these today. Let see how they work! Will just dry and then try.
20231009_175921.jpg

William

Why do you want to buy it treated? Except for a real survival situation you are not doing it the "old or pc" way. That is what real reenactment is all about. Plus, in a fire starting competition it would not be allowed.

Why do you want to buy it treated? Except for a real survival situation you are not doing it the "old or pc" way. That is what real reenactment is all about. Plus, in a fire starting competition it would not be allowed.
I am going to use it for an arquebus, so fire starting isn’t as relevant. I had been looking for an option with a potash solution already applied to it, but it now seems like that is unnecessary

Back