• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st Experiment with various forms of Tinder Fungus to fire Snap Locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tree Fungus or 'chaga' from the birch or beech trees can be used as fire starter (dried and even charred like charcloth), but I will be using it as a burnable punk , glowing like a head on a lit cigarette, to ignite my 1515 Tinder Snaplock, a precurser to the matchlock. First off, for the uninitiated, Snaplocks have a serpentine (later called the cock on flintlocks and hammers on ... well, you know ...) lever that is spring loaded, with the bottom leg of it catching on the nose of a sear projecting through the lock plate. Some don't have triggers, as the early ones had buttons on the lockplate that you would depress and that would move the sear nose away to let the serpentine fall and fire the fire lock.

Snaplock.jpg

You might not expect tree fungus to be particularly useful, but – surprise – it’s often very handy! If you have birch or black locust trees growing near you, then you probably have some highly flammable species of fungi also growing nearby.

A classic fire starting tinder of the northeast is the fungus that grows on birch trees. The species Fomes fomentarius is often called tinder fungus, false tinder fungus, horse hoof fungus, tinder conk, touchwood and tinder polypore. The species produces fist-sized polypore fruit bodies that are shaped like a horse’s hoof. They vary in color from a silvery gray to almost black, though you’ll usually find them gray or brown colored.

The dead, dry fruiting bodies of this fungus can be shaved into pieces or ground into dust to assist with friction fire spark longevity, or they can be cut into flat chips to be burned as a substitute for charcloth, like used in flint and steel fire making. Charcloth is cloth that has been made into charcoal, where it is heated at high temperature in the absence of oxygen to burn off the flammable solids in the form of gas, leaving behind a black cloth which readily catches and holds a spark, smoldering with a hot ember rather than flaming.

The Vikings would prepare their tinder fungus by cutting away the exterior pieces, with the interior pieces cut into thin slices. The fungus slices were beaten until they started to become soft, flexible, and resembled felt. The fungi ‘felt’ was then charred in the same way that charcloth is made – by charring it in an oxygen-less container. But the Vikings took it a step further ... they then boiled their fungus char in urine!

Why Urine? – Urine contains sodium nitrate, which has very similar chemical properties as potassium nitrate, i.e., the ‘saltpeter’ found in gunpowder. Because their char cloth was boiled in urine, the Vikings could light the charred fungus and it would hold a smolder for days on end. The fact that it smoldered without burning was key. This meant that they could carry the fire source with them wherever they went. When it was time to start a fire, they could blow on it to a flame to light their tinder. No longer did they require a primitive fire-making method to create a new spark each time they needed a fire.

The Vikings Weren’t the Only Ones to Use Tinder Fungus – While the Vikings are the only ones known to have soaked their Tinder Fungus in urine, many ancient people also used fungi as tinder. Even ‘Otzi the Iceman’, who lived over 5,000 years ago, was found to have 4 pieces of Tinder Fungus in with his gear for fire-starting. As one researcher noted, “The fungus must have been very important to the Iceman for him to carry it in a special pouch for such a long distance.”

How to Use Tinder Fungus to Start a Fire – If you don’t feel like using the gross Viking method to start a fire, you can still use Tinder Fungus. Fungus beats most other natural forms of tinder. Unlike other natural combustibles, such as sawdust, dried grass, or wood shavings, the dried Tinder Fungus can be ignited with a single spark. The smoldering fungus can then be used to start a fire.

Find Your Tinder Fungus – Tinder Fungus grows on trees. You can also use other fungi for fire starting. The species Inonotus obliquus is also great for tinder. It is found on birch trees and looks like a glob of black hardwood.

Prepping Your Tinder Fungus – This huge one was 9" across and it is still damp inside, feeling like all the world like stringy under-cooked chicken!

075B2A1E-DFB2-41A7-92C7-A4FD2E0180DF.jpeg

Right now it is drying out, but I intend to do some testing of 3 types or treatments:
  • Dried
  • Dried and charred like charcloth
  • Charred and boiled in urine
68E11E03-9A13-4B2B-8727-202F7B8F4FC7.jpeg

FFB95C74-8500-42E8-95A0-C20A3CE1D1BE.jpeg

I took a small piece and as it was still damp, it charred, but would not hold a smolder. So it needs to dry out ... maybe a lot!

6FEBE31B-3473-427E-89E4-59D06960A80D.jpeg

Stay tuned for Part 2!

The ease of lighting tinder fungus brings up an interesting question. How would a block of arquebusiers have prepared tinder for each round of shooting? “Patch” boxes made their original debut on arquebuses during the first quarter (if not earlier) of the 16th century and could contain a flint and steel (or variation). If the piece was small and could get knocked out each shot, should the arquebusiers create a spark each reload to prep a new piece, or pass around a large match chord, which we have artistic evidence being present with tinder locks. Now a days, keeping a lit tinder in your gun while reloading seems crazy dangerous, but their safety standards could have been very different.

Didn’t the arqubus troops have a special firemaster that held burning match cords to light tinder ? With a the many ways to commonly die back then, an accidental discharge was probably treated as a humorous incident.
That does sound familiar. There is some controversy over how units of gunners fired before the 80 years war, but given the existing evidence, it is probably safe to assume that they moved back to reload. Skirmishing and experimentation were also very common, so who knows what the soldiers actually did in different situations.

Tinder fungus is non toxic (though apparently gross tasting) so you could theoretically hold it in you teeth between reloads.

It's too bad such fungus can't be eaten like a mushroom, or at least the edible ones! Because this fungus is heftier and meatier than any portabello mushroom ever hoped to be! I bet it would be wonderful steaked and cooked ... if indeed it was edible without killing you!

It's too bad such fungus can't be eaten like a mushroom, or at least the edible ones! Because this fungus is heftier and meatier than any portabello mushroom ever hoped to be! I bet it would be wonderful steaked and cooked ... if indeed it was edible without killing you!
Keep your eye out for Hen of The Woods while mushroom hunting. It’s super tasty and according to my more hippyish friends, can be found in large masses while foraging.

Flint,
That one you have there looks a lot softer than the type that grows out this way.
They grow on birch trees and poplar. Aspen that is.
They are real tough to cut and will just about work right off the tree.
Youn eed to get rid of the spores.
Lots of good meat on that one when it dries though.
I'd go back and look for some smaller woody ones. they might dry faster.
Incidentally,
I have a big one nailed to my work bench spore side up. Its great for sticking scribes, engraving tools and exacto knives in. It works like a good bristle dart board!

TobJon,
You know the answer to your question!

Look again at the battle of Pavia!
The Landsknechts are using tinder, But have a thick matchcord wrapped around their arm!
Each tinder is lit from the matchcord.

All best,
R.

Uhm, that's not "chaga", it's a different creature, Inonotus obliquus.
Yours is a bracket fungi known as Hoof fungus,, (sorry) just to clarify.
It does/will work as you describe, I've used it too catch spark for flint-n-steel fire starting but only as knife shaved powder from a chunk, I never have tried to keep a piece smoldering.

TobJon,
You know the answer to your question!

Look again at the battle of Pavia!
The Landsknechts are using tinder, But have a thick matchcord wrapped around their arm!
Each tinder is lit from the matchcord.

All best,
R.
Looking back at the Pavia paintings, I had misremembered. I thought there was only one arquebusier with a matchchord, but you are right, almost every one of them in combat has the chord wrapped around their arm or gun.
Pavia,1525.3 kl.jpg

This full tapestry from the set has some without, but that may be because they are not fully engaged. It shows the chrods wrapped around the guns, too.
Manif._di_bruxelles_su_dis.di_bernart_von_orley,_IGMN144483,_1526-31.jpg

Man are these tapestries breathtaking!

Tob,
Now its Me is-remembering!
Its another early depiction I am thinking of. It shows the matchcord much clearer than the above.
Its Michael's fault, filling my head with his 47,000 pictures!

Edited to add, from Michael;

"The length of typically thick and early match cord was only used to light a small piece of tinder that was placed in a tube at the top of the serpentine and was probably replaced before firing the next shot."

This from the thread below;

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15381&highlight=landsknechts

Last edited:
Edited to add, from Michael;

"The length of typically thick and early match cord was only used to light a small piece of tinder that was placed in a tube at the top of the serpentine and was probably replaced before firing the next shot."

This from the thread below;

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15381&highlight=landsknechts
Ah yes, I had read that before. I was not sure how universal that was, or if arquebusiers shared matchchord amongst multiple gunners, but it is always safe to bet on Michael's knowledge.

I LOVE the images in that thread of the fully armored arquebusiers. Such a cool snapshot of technological and tactical evolution.
1508+Jan Joest von Kalkar_Dutch, 1508_Kalkar Kreis Kleve, Catholic Parish Church of St.Nickolas.jpg

Theuerdank1 kl.jpg

Thanks to Pukka's comments I researched further and sought out Text Books and not internet pages and now I know I don't have either Tinder (Conk) Fungus or Chaga ... but a species of Birch Polypore!

Chaga
Chaga (Inonotus obliquus) is an esteemed medicinal mushroom that parasitizes birch trees in temperate and boreal forests around the world. It’s a slow growing, dark, blob-like rock-hard fungus.

Chaga.jpg

Tinder Fungus

Is it Chaga or Tinder (Conk) Fungus? The most common look-alike to the Chaga mushroom is the Tinder Conk (Fomes fomentarius) because of their similarities in color and hardness, and both can be found on birch trees. The differences between them are easy to discern:
  • Tinder Conks have pores underneath the cap; Chaga does not have pores
  • Tinder Conks grow in shelf formation outside on the surface of tree trunks; Chaga forms inside the scarring of trees
  • Tinder Conks have mushroom “caps”; Chaga forms irregular shapes
  • Tinder Conks are somewhat smooth; Chaga is scabby and rough to touch
Birch.jpg

Birch Polypore
Birch Polypore (Fomitopsis betulina, or previously Piptoporus betulinus). Whereas Tinder Conk fruiting bodies are perennial (capable of growing for multiple years), the fruiting bodies of Birch Polypore are annuals. They grow for just a few months (typically in late Summer and Fall), though spent shelves may linger on trunks or fallen branches for years. Living mushrooms can be recognized by their smooth white or light brown pore surface, which is unlike the weathered, Winter specimens shown here.
T-F.jpg

Oh well, I'll still dry it out and try it as tinder in my snaplock!

I realize there is not size comparison in the image, and I will not be able to include a photo with my username and date on it... smile. Won't be back there for a bit... let them cure with the maple and cherry slabs. The conchs are laid out on the right side slab when I took the photo.

Attachments

• 20231026_231556.jpg
    20231026_231556.jpg
    814.4 KB · Views: 0
Tree Fungus or 'chaga' from the birch or beech trees can be used as fire starter (dried and even charred like charcloth), but I will be using it as a burnable punk , glowing like a head on a lit cigarette, to ignite my 1515 Tinder Snaplock, a precurser to the matchlock. First off, for the uninitiated, Snaplocks have a serpentine (later called the cock on flintlocks and hammers on ... well, you know ...) lever that is spring loaded, with the bottom leg of it catching on the nose of a sear projecting through the lock plate. Some don't have triggers, as the early ones had buttons on the lockplate that you would depress and that would move the sear nose away to let the serpentine fall and fire the fire lock.

View attachment 261687

You might not expect tree fungus to be particularly useful, but – surprise – it’s often very handy! If you have birch or black locust trees growing near you, then you probably have some highly flammable species of fungi also growing nearby.

A classic fire starting tinder of the northeast is the fungus that grows on birch trees. The species Fomes fomentarius is often called tinder fungus, false tinder fungus, horse hoof fungus, tinder conk, touchwood and tinder polypore. The species produces fist-sized polypore fruit bodies that are shaped like a horse’s hoof. They vary in color from a silvery gray to almost black, though you’ll usually find them gray or brown colored.

The dead, dry fruiting bodies of this fungus can be shaved into pieces or ground into dust to assist with friction fire spark longevity, or they can be cut into flat chips to be burned as a substitute for charcloth, like used in flint and steel fire making. Charcloth is cloth that has been made into charcoal, where it is heated at high temperature in the absence of oxygen to burn off the flammable solids in the form of gas, leaving behind a black cloth which readily catches and holds a spark, smoldering with a hot ember rather than flaming.

The Vikings would prepare their tinder fungus by cutting away the exterior pieces, with the interior pieces cut into thin slices. The fungus slices were beaten until they started to become soft, flexible, and resembled felt. The fungi ‘felt’ was then charred in the same way that charcloth is made – by charring it in an oxygen-less container. But the Vikings took it a step further ... they then boiled their fungus char in urine!

Why Urine? – Urine contains sodium nitrate, which has very similar chemical properties as potassium nitrate, i.e., the ‘saltpeter’ found in gunpowder. Because their char cloth was boiled in urine, the Vikings could light the charred fungus and it would hold a smolder for days on end. The fact that it smoldered without burning was key. This meant that they could carry the fire source with them wherever they went. When it was time to start a fire, they could blow on it to a flame to light their tinder. No longer did they require a primitive fire-making method to create a new spark each time they needed a fire.

The Vikings Weren’t the Only Ones to Use Tinder Fungus – While the Vikings are the only ones known to have soaked their Tinder Fungus in urine, many ancient people also used fungi as tinder. Even ‘Otzi the Iceman’, who lived over 5,000 years ago, was found to have 4 pieces of Tinder Fungus in with his gear for fire-starting. As one researcher noted, “The fungus must have been very important to the Iceman for him to carry it in a special pouch for such a long distance.”

How to Use Tinder Fungus to Start a Fire – If you don’t feel like using the gross Viking method to start a fire, you can still use Tinder Fungus. Fungus beats most other natural forms of tinder. Unlike other natural combustibles, such as sawdust, dried grass, or wood shavings, the dried Tinder Fungus can be ignited with a single spark. The smoldering fungus can then be used to start a fire.

Find Your Tinder Fungus – Tinder Fungus grows on trees. You can also use other fungi for fire starting. The species Inonotus obliquus is also great for tinder. It is found on birch trees and looks like a glob of black hardwood.

Prepping Your Tinder Fungus – This huge one was 9" across and it is still damp inside, feeling like all the world like stringy under-cooked chicken!

View attachment 261688

Right now it is drying out, but I intend to do some testing of 3 types or treatments:
  • Dried
  • Dried and charred like charcloth
  • Charred and boiled in urine
View attachment 261689

View attachment 261690

I took a small piece and as it was still damp, it charred, but would not hold a smolder. So it needs to dry out ... maybe a lot!

View attachment 261691

Stay tuned for Part 2!

Latest posts

Back