• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Soak?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love beans
However my wife will only eat brown beans/pinto beans cooked with onion ham and served with corn bread
So Lima,cowboy,red beans and rice, black bans and rice, New England baked, Spanish garbanzos ect I have to make in small batches when she is away at my kids,at an event,or for my work lunch.
Sometimes I make beans on the spur of the moment, or while camping, just in the pot water and cook
If I know Iā€™m going to have them the next day I soak over night.
Story is that decrease the pipe organ music but Iā€™ve not found it to be true.
Do you all soak,soak ever time, now and then,or not at all?
From scratch beans should soak over night or 10-12 hrs. Put some ginger in the soak water to take some of the sound effects out of the cooked beans.
I take them to camp soaking in a gallon jar, reduces cook time by half.

Definitely soak, if camping or otherwise. It could be psychological, but I think it tastes better that way. Canā€™t let ā€˜em soak too long though or they go sideways pretty fast. No more than 10 hours. I do think it helps with the natural gas problem, but only a little.

When I make beans I just put the beans in cold water with a ham hock or two and start cooking. I've never soaked beans before cooking. Works for me, I like them. I use navies, white beans, anasazis, or pintos. all the same way and I never have complaints.

I cook baked beans several times a year...my favorite beans are Red Kidney Beans, Pea Beans, Great Northern and when I was able to find them small Lima Beans . The small Lima beans were made by Jack Rabbit and I can not find them in New England anymore. I do soak all dried beans over night. I address the farting problem with 1tsp of baking soda cooked with the beans. NEVER add salt to soaking water!
RECIPE
Dried beans one bag
1/3 cup of Molasses
1/3 cup of white sugar
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 small chopped onion small diced (smaller the better)
1 pkg Hormel salt pork ( find one that is VERY meaty) cut salt pork into small pieces
Mix all ingredients and cover beans with water
Cook in a slow (225-250 degrees) for up to 8 hours.....Check beans after 3 hours and add more water if needed...only add water once!
You can substitute a few slices of Bacon if you can not find salt pork,
I find LIMA beans to be a very mealy type of a bean. no matter how they are cooked. not on the top of my list.

Lived near the Seneca Nation in WNY. Corn soup was often for sale on the rez, and always made for cold winter days. Thanks for the memory.
Howdy:
Here in Amish country in NE Pa. we make something called Chicken Corn soup or Chicken Corn Chowder?? Is that the same thing as your Corn soup? Recipe please...if you can?
Also, I'm told that constant exposure to Beans will cause that Pipe Oran Music to subside? I've often wondered how Mexicans could eat ALL those beans and not kill each other with the after effects, now I know. :dunno::thumb:;)
Two Feathers

If you will eat those with apple cider vinegar on them it will cut out that gas!
dr.beav:
One of my favorite meals is the Pinto beans at the Cracker Barrel with the hot vinegar on them, and the Turnip Greens, same way.
I eat more beans than I should.
To anyone suffering Kidney failure like myself: Beans are an incredibly HIGH source of Potassium. Potassium being a major enemy of healthy kidneys, as are potatoes. Two of my favorite things to eat...drat!!!
God bless:
Two Feathers

Wonder no more as Mexicans when they make their beans add enough various condiments to them to burn out the sinus cavaties, esaphagus (spelling), stomach and gut to make odor undetectable and the ears un hearable and the eyes tear up heavily. They like their stuff spicy. I know this from living experience.

I always soak over night. Ames mentioned "old beans" A lot of folks don't know that dried beans ought to be used within a year's time. I had some older beans and they never did soften up. Soaks two days and cooked 6 hours- would not come back. Like eating bb's

Beans,Beans good for your heart, the more you eat the more you fart, the more you fart the better you feel so I eat beans at every meal. Never met a bean I did not like with the exception of green beans.

We can never soak white beans long enough to get soft. Even a three day soak and they are still too hard to eat. I don't like 'em.
I grew up with them as it was my dads favorite, white beans salt pork and onion, easy and cheap. Now called Harris beans.
I think thatā€™s the deal with my wife. All beans when she grew up were brown beans served with corn bread.
I like most beans, exceptions are lentils and black eyed peas. Als eat them about any way.
But such is in small pots only, as for the wife and me I can only make beans and corn bread.

I prefer to soak my dried beans. It works good enough to cook them but they don't tend to come out the way I want them to when I want them to. It also takes a really long time in a Crock Pot etc. Either still too hard or too soft and requires a lot of watching. Soaking seems to workout best for me.

Back