• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

checkering tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Where can I buy the tools to checker a stock. Midway has a video of a tool with a double head. One follows the last line while cutting the next but they don't have the tool on their site.

Attachments

• IMG_9972.jpg
    IMG_9972.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
If you have never done any checkering get a video on how to do it. Brownells used to sell a good one but I don't see it on their website. They've gone over to the plastic blasters since that's where the money is these days.
This is the type of tool to use. Its adjustable cutter head is a real help.
//www.amazon.com/MASTERCARVER-Gunsmith-Gunstock-Checkering-Tool/dp/B0CSQJCHJZ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=PCSPDVJZMQQ5&dib=ey

I guess the link didn't copy but you can find it on Amazon.

Where can I buy the tools to checker a stock. Midway has a video of a tool with a double head. One follows the last line while cutting the next but they don't have the tool on their site.
I have a new in the box, unused set of three checkering tools by Frank Mittermeier which I believe I got from Brownell's years ago. If you might be interested in them just pm me for price and pictures.

i have several sets of dembart tools, and several sets of gunline tools.
neither of them approaches those of Frank Mittermeier.
I if you can find it pick up Monte Kennedy's book on carving and checkering.
also if you need some patterns pm me and i will dig out some. most are patterns we used 60 years ago.

I used to checker lots of stocks. I agree with all of the above. Here are a couple of tips. Make you cutters cut on the pull, this avoids over runs. Use Dymo plastic label machine tape to make stops to prevent over runs. Use spacer tool with a safe side. A two line cutter that cut on both sides did no work for me. You can make your own cutters. One you will want is a very long single cutter. IT is handy to straighten lines. Use a strong point source of light at a low angle. Strong room light is not good. Use a bronze suede brush to burnish the diamonds. Always checker after the finish is complete. In the end I bought an MMC powered tool for the first lay out pass.

I am no expert and when I did my first ML shotgun, I was totally clueless. I asked a fellow ML who did checkering for some tips. The first words out of his mouth were "Do you have a checkering cradle". What in the Sam Hill is that? Don't even think of doing a stock at the wrist or any wrap around without a rotating cradle.
Larry

i checkered for close to 60 years. the first 50 without a cradle. finally built one. surprising how stupid i can be sometimes. i really wish i had a cradle from the get go.
also a cradle works fine for inletting and shaping a stock. even applying finish.
old dogs can learn new tricks. we just forget them as soon as we learn them.

I had to rescue a sweet sixteen forearm one time that a beaver on drugs got hold of.
the wood on those things is paper thin to begin with and ole beaver had run some lined in the center of the field to within a red hair of breaking through.
mixed up some epoxy, tinted it and built up to smooth. the guy that owned it almost cried when he got it back as it had belonged to grand dad and dad before he got it.
he had a couple sets of 16 LPI, 18 LPI, and one 32LPI by dembart. he gave them to me as a bonus.
the 32 LPI set has only been used once.

I have my much-used set of Gun-Line. Google it.
I also use a small Vee-gouge for the first two lines on a stock. Get the plastic diamond-shaped pattern marker to ensure those first two lines cross at the correct angle. Made one or two pistol grips with the wrong crossing angle - looks like monkey poo when you do that.
When you start doing skip-line checkering, do a few practice pieces using a large spacer at first, like 10-lpi. Don't try a 24 or 32 lpi until you get a lot of practice.
I made a bunch of walnut squares to practice on, then graduated to curved wood before I ever tried on a real firearm.
That rotating cradle is the cat's azz for ease and accuracy. And Kennedy's book is a must-have! A 3-X magnifying visor, and a good light mounted to the side are very handy to have.
Haven't done any checkering for years, will practice before doing another firearm. It's a fragile skill.

I have a brand new, never out of the box, of Dem-Bart Master Set 18's There are six tools in the box. I bought them in 2002 and have never used them. I would sell them for $55.00 post paid.

I have a brand new, never out of the box, of Dem-Bart Master Set 18's There are six tools in the box. I bought them in 2002 and have never used them. I would sell them for $55.00 post paid.
have you priced them online?
I about swallowed my false teeth and i don't have false teeth!

Back