• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone for blood sausage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
From young on, blood sausage has always been on my table because my parents made it and knew how to prepare it.

Most of what's on the market today, I wouldn't eat, but found a butcher shop that makes it nearly as good as my parents. So it'll sell better it's called rice sausage, but outside of using rice instead of barley which my parents used, it's blood sausage.

I buy it by the case and freeze it...it keeps well because each ring is vacuum packed and it's thawed out overnight...no microwave thawing.

Have eaten blood sausage in a few countries and it's all been similar tasting..... marjoram is the common seasoning. Was surprised that it was served in Ireland and was quite good, along w/ that served in Spain, Finland, Germany and Austria.

It's also a staple in camp when hunting....although one guy won't touch it.

The butcher shop we buy it from is 100 miles away, so the "sausage run" requires a lunch stop at an excellent restaurant...also making the trip worthwhile.

Baking a whole ring {the size of a ring baloney} is the preferred method, but frying it is also good. At our family reunions, a platter of freshly fried blood sausage is always served and shortly is all gone.

Also found a source of Spanish blood sausage {morcilla} and use it in cooking various Spanish dishes. The dishes wouldn't be possible w/o the morcilla.

Across the road from my Dad was a farmer friend who would have him bleed a steer or a hog in lieu of a couple rings of his blood sausage.

Actually blood sausage is the "universal food" because people of most countries utilize every part of the animal, including the blood.

To some, blood sausage might be repugnant, so I guess it depends on what your parents served you when young......Fred

Yesterday PM I bought some RED BOUDIN at (of all places the "upscale") Central Market in Austin.

The difference in WHITE & RED boudin is that RED has the casing filled with blood after the sausage mixture is put into the casing.
(Haven't eaten it yet, so I cannot tell you whether it's good or not.)

yours, satx

Never tried it, but I remember playing a board game where there was a fictional monster a player might encounter called Black Pudding. I guess the real stuff is quite common in England, and it was a joke on that particular culinary delight, which is a form of blood pudding.

That "black pudding" also applies to Ireland. Like England they can have a huge breakfast that often includes it.
On a hog you eat everything but the squeal.

My Mother got me onto a Ukrainian version made with toasted buckwheat kascha. MMM

On a holiday, my Mother would cook a "special breakfast" and it included baked blood sausage, fried, breaded calves brains, scrambled eggs and Slovenian honey/nut bread which was called potica. Wow! A gourmet's delight.

My mother was an excellent chef and did own her own restaurant for many years and sorry to say, I had to wash dishes on weekends. Finally graduated to grill cook...a very welcome promotion....Fred

My Slovenian aunts all made potica - excellent!! But I never had blood sausage til I travelled to England, Scotland and Poland. It's made with buckwheat in Poland and I think the Brits, Scots and Irish use oats.

Good stuff!

Latest posts

Back