• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So What Do We Have Here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy, So jus cause I had nothing else better to do, thought I'd take a look at the lock works. I didn't much care for how the gun holds the lock to the stock by a bolt through the bindle. Spending about 30 minutes trying to figure out where I could put a bolt through the stock to hold the lock, I noticed a small chunk of metal that didn't seem to have a purpose. On closer inspection, I could see that it was broken but I couldn't tell what it did and where did it break from. So I took apart the lock. turns out it was part of the tumbler stirrup pin bracket (?)
20211229_150256.jpg
Also the threads in the tumbler that hold the hammer on were stripped. I'm thinkin that the previous owner tried to make the rifle work and as a result of the brindle being insecure the stirrup pin bracket broke. At which point they gave up and sold the rifle.

Howdy, So I decided to try to fix both problems at the same time. First I relocated the bolt that holds the lock to the stock. And since I didn't have the screw for the brindle, I made one and tightened the brindle down properly.
20211229_145620.jpg

You can't quite see the broken part of the spindle pin bracket. In this photo it looks ok. Luckly I was able to drill and tap the hole that is just to the left of the brindle. That was practically the only place on the lock plate that I could make the attachment. Any further to the left and the tang was in the way. Any lower and the tumbler would hit it and prevent the lock from being fully cocked. As it was I had to round out the breech plug tang about 1/8" in order for the barrel to fit into the tang.

Howdy, So I brazed the offending piece back on to the tumbler with some MG130 Super Strength Brazing alloy.
20211229_162202.jpg

As you can see I didn't get it aligned perfectly, but the MG130 should hold. At least the holes align and the gap between the ears is correct.
20211229_164108.jpg

This is the fully cocked position and you can see how little space there was for clearance.

Howdy, After getting that done I had to plug the holes the previous owner had made and one that they didn't fill.
20211229_165324.jpg

The large plug is where the orignal bolt to hold the lock plate on before the previous owner attempted to put the different lock on. The little one to the right of the new screw is the hole that was drilled to put the screw through the brindle. It's not the prettiest fix, but it's better than the Peso.

Howdy, You can see the new brindle screw. It is the shiny one just under the hammer. The darker one just right of that is the new screw that holds the lock plate on.
S
20211229_180139.jpg

So far everything looks functional but I'll have to go the the range to see if the repair holds up.
The next thing is to find a 6/32 helicoil and fix the threads for the screw shown here holding the hammer on. Till then I shimmed the threades with a peice of aluminum beer can and I was able to tighten the screw. That is just a temporary fix.

Latest posts

Back