• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This old thing...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steak

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey folks.
Hoping you and yours are doing great today.
I've had this rifle for a while. I don't know much about it . I think it's a conversion from flintlock and as near as my micrometer can tell , is a 32 caliber. Barely visible is the word Warranted in floral script on the lock . Has a set trigger. The lock and trigger needs adjustment. I'm not wanting to go apey with it but think the issue is with the triggers .? Beautiful tiger maple stock. Unfortunately it was repaired many years ago, looks like the stock was broken completely in two. . I put the brass screws in the empty holes. I realize that they are not what were used but it's what I had handy .
There's faint floral engraving on the barrel and sharper engraving on the trigger guard. Cool little brass plate design in the stock.
I get the impression that the stock on this rifle was cut down. Maybe for a young man or lady?
I've been told it's an Ohio style? rifle. I don't know.
The pics aren't the best but , any opinions on what I have will be appreciated.
I'm thinking about getting it back to shooting condition. Anything you folks think I should focus on or best way to go about it is also appreciated
steak

Attachments

• PXL_20230801_191924250.PANO.jpg
    PXL_20230801_191924250.PANO.jpg
    879.3 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230801_192125973.jpg
    PXL_20230801_192125973.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230801_192129424.jpg
    PXL_20230801_192129424.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230801_192035624.jpg
    PXL_20230801_192035624.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I doubt that this rifle was ever a flintlock. The lockplate shows no evidence of conversion. The plate fits the mortise and the drum. There was only one lock bolt, which is consistent with percussion locks. It appears that the sideplate is a replacement.

Have you checked to see if there is a load in the rifle? Many have been left loaded. Once you have verified that the rifle is unloaded, the condition of the barrel can be determined. The lock should be removed to clean out the long time accumulation of dried up grease and oils. The same for the triggers. Any parts missing or broken can be repaired. When cleaned, the lock and triggers can be checked for function.

At this point the effort should be made to conserve this rifle so as much original condition remains. Remove the dirt and superficial grime. A properly conserved rifle can be fired. Do not refinish.

Get in contact with a local traditional muzzleloading gun club to have someone familiar with the older guns and conservation evaluate the rifle.

I doubt that this rifle was ever a flintlock. The lockplate shows no evidence of conversion. The plate fits the mortise and the drum. There was only one lock bolt, which is consistent with percussion locks. It appears that the sideplate is a replacement.

Have you checked to see if there is a load in the rifle? Many have been left loaded. Once you have verified that the rifle is unloaded, the condition of the barrel can be determined. The lock should be removed to clean out the long time accumulation of dried up grease and oils. The same for the triggers. Any parts missing or broken can be repaired. When cleaned, the lock and triggers can be checked for function.

At this point the effort should be made to conserve this rifle so as much original condition remains. Remove the dirt and superficial grime. A properly conserved rifle can be fired. Do not refinish.

Get in contact with a local traditional muzzleloading gun club to have someone familiar with the older guns and conservation evaluate the rifle.
your reply is why I asked. Great observation and advice and I thank you for that.
The rifle does not have a charge or ball in it. That was one of the first things I checked.
Unfortunately , it was " cleaned up " by a previous owner.

Back