• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So how are you supposed to fill this powder canister?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As you can see, there are no issues with me removing the top of my powder flask and then re-attaching it. As I've stated, all you need to do is loosen off the set screws and then remove the top of the flask. This should shut down the doubters asap.

first off.. since you quoted me… please tell me where I called you personally a liar? All I said was some that said pull the screws out probably hadn’t done it. But I know some have…. but I stand behind what I said. Do NOT take the screws out. They aren’t made for it. Why wouldn’t you just fill it from the spout as it was meant to? Your photos showing how it’s done only made my point even stronger. No one doubted it can be done… but my funnel way only showed how fast it is. My flask would be filled by the time you get the second screw out.

I have a funnel that holds the gate open and just pour in the powder cant get it done any easier or faster in my opinion

No one is doubting you can do it, but if you can unscrew the spout or put the RCBS funnel on as above in a fraction of the time with no risk of losing or stripping screws etc. etc.

WHY would you?
Easier still funnel in the spout, you can make one with thumb and forefinger holding the valve at the same time

No one is doubting you can do it, but if you can unscrew the spout or put the RCBS funnel on as above in a fraction of the time with no risk of losing or stripping screws etc. etc.

WHY would you?
Because I can. Whether I do this your way or my way has no bearing on you. I’ll continue to do this in my fashion. As far as I’m concerned, it’s mind over matter I don’t mind using my method because your method don’t matter… end of discussion.

This thread goes to show that because some one has been doing something wrong for many years doesn't make it right . All I can say is if the flask manufacturer wanted you to remove the whole spout mechanism by undoing screws he would not have fitted little , fiddley grub screws , but large thumb screws , or a screw off mechanism as shown in the photo of the Hawksley flask I have a number of origional flasks and prefer to use a more traditional powder horn for my American rifles .

Your question has been well answered above. I’ll just add that you can buy an assortment of different sized screw in nozzles, 30, 40, 50 grain, etc to use if you wanted. Thumb over the top, turn upside down, open the hatch, shake, close, and pour.

Plus getting the screw in funnel makes filling easy.
A good selection of screwdrivers really comes in handy for gunsmithing work. The small straight blade required is really cheap and easy to find.

It also often fits sight adjusting screws
On some BP firearms as well as many unmentionables.

Last edited:
I use an RCBS powder funnel. Fits perfectly over my 60g spout. Do NOT take the little screws out. You’ll have a mess and probabl won’t get them back in. I think some saying to do that has never done it before. Use a funnel.

View attachment 202634

As you can see, there are no issues with me removing the top of my powder flask and then re-attaching it. As I've stated, all you need to do is loosen off the set screws and then remove the top of the flask. This should shut down the doubters asap.
Trooper I can see an issue right off the bat. You see that screw hole? If you continue to remove and reinstall tightening that screw and the corrosion is going to strip the hole. I'm pretty sure those flasks are not made from brass like the orginals but out of tin or other lesser grade material. I have them and use a funnel. If you want to continue to remove the top I'd advise you to take caution with the screw torque. You may up having to epoxy the top on or buy a new flask in the future.

Guys.

It has three tiny screws on the outside of the pouring assembly.

There's a clue there...

Use a witness mark to put the assembly back in the correct location.

Dude, K.I.S.S.

The spout unscrews from the top of the flask, to expose the hole for filling with the valve held open during the fill.

If the spout's stuck, try soaking the junction with something like Kroil (if used, the entire interior of the flask & the sliding valve plate will need to be chemically cleaned of lube before filling with powder)

Reactions: TDM
I just took a series of 5 pics showing you that I can remove and replace my powder funnel lid at my leisure. I do not appreciate being called a liar. I will need to make several separate posts to prove my point, so stand by.View attachment 202645

I have always done it this way, it's not that hard ! You just have to remember to put the cap back on in the same position it came off, so the screws line up with the holes in the flask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back