• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So how are you supposed to fill this powder canister?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Don't tell me I have to find a screw driver that small.

20230227_170459.jpg

I usually unscrew the powder measure and use the same cap with the funnel built on for my Goex cans that I fill my powder horns with ...

Yes, I know Goes now comes in plastic containers, I transfer to cans as I still have a cap for the cans...

I either make a funnel with my thumb and forefinger around the measure, hold the valve open and fill. I’ve also unscrewed the measure tube and open the valve and just poured it into the hole. The spring keeps the powder on the top. When it is about full I just use my finger to push it into the flask or close the valve and pour what’s on the top back into the powder can. No point in making it difficult.

Your question has been well answered above. I’ll just add that you can buy an assortment of different sized screw in nozzles, 30, 40, 50 grain, etc to use if you wanted. Thumb over the top, turn upside down, open the hatch, shake, close, and pour.

Plus getting the screw in funnel makes filling easy.

You are not meant to take that top off to fill the flask... the threads inside will likely strip easily.

They make purpose built funnels with the same thread pitch for these flasks. I have Pedersoli's large brass flask and use their brass funnel with the same thread pitch for filling it. You could also simply save money by buying a small plastic funnel.

I usually unscrew the powder measure and use the same cap with the funnel built on for my Goex cans that I fill my powder horns with ...

Yes, I know Goes now comes in plastic containers, I transfer to cans as I still have a cap for the cans...
Yes, walking into a gun shop and asking for a plastic of powder just doesn't have the same ring, does it?

I have an old cap that I brazed a 556 case minus the bottom into the center of the cap. Screw the cap on the can. Open the lever and invert. Shaking lightly helps too.
The neck of the case goes inside the tip.

20230227_205125[1].jpg

Sad part is dont work on these plastic lid cans, what were they thinking? Oh yeah, cheap

Ok,

I didn't know you could unscrew the spout. I tried it, but this one must be a little corroded. It didn't budge.

As noted, the spout should unscrew. Maybe try just a drop of penetrating oil... not enough to get in the flask and risk contaminating any powder, but just a drop to help loosen the threads. If you have a little piece of rubber tire material to improve your grip on the spout, that should help.

You have gotten lots of good suggestions, but the best thing I have found for filling these is one of the purpose-made flask-filling funnels. Traditions, Pedersoli, and Cash Mfg. all make them. This is the large one from Pedersoli:

Large Pedersoli Funnel.jpg
I would recommend either the Traditions or Pedersoli versions. The Cash funnel is well built, but the threaded section is shorter and you have to hold the valve gate open while you are filling the flask. The longer threaded section on the Pedersoli and Traditions funnels holds the valve gate open on its own. You have to depress the thumb lever while you are screwing the funnel in, but once the funnel is in all the way in there you release the lever and start filling.

Spout threads for the full-sized Italian flasks (like yours) are uniformly 10mm x 1.0, and the funnel threads are the same. The little pocket flasks use special, smaller spouts, as well as a smaller funnel.

One of these funnels is good to have. I keep one in my pouch, and put it in the muzzle of the rifle while dumping in the powder charge. I am somewhat clumsy and prone to spilling, and the funnel helps prevent that.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
I have an old cap that I brazed a 556 case minus the bottom into the center of the cap. Screw the cap on the can. Open the lever and invert. Shaking lightly helps too.
The neck of the case goes inside the tip.

View attachment 202111
Sad part is dont work on these plastic lid cans, what were they thinking? Oh yeah, cheap

Yep, that's the cap I have as well, probably bought in in the '70s...

I use it for my horns and flasks, if you put your ear to it as you pour, you can hear the powder trickling in, once it stops it's full... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back