• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking at some rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PotomacRanger

32 Cal
Reaction score
Last time I posted was December of last year. I was looking at some rifles and most of them sold before I made my decision and when I finally did make a decision on the rifle I wanted the store owner said the seller raised his price cause it was being sold on consignment... it was way too high. Now I have been looking for a good starter Flintlock rifle before I upgrade to something like a Kibler or a custom rifle. Something I can learn on that wont set me back money wise like a Kibler will. I stopped in a gunshop (different shop from the last time I posted), mostly percussion rifles but he had a handful of flintlocks. Three that stood out were firstly, a Thompson Center Pennsylvania Hunter, this one is .50 caliber, flintlock, 32" Octagon to Round barrel. Second, a Pedersoli Jaeger Target model, .54 caliber, flintlock, 31" Octagon barrel. Last was a Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mountain Rifle, .50 caliber, flintlock, 41" octagon barrel. All three are in good shape, all three are used with the Dixie Gun Works and Pennsylvania Hunter showing the most use. The shop has .50 caliber balls and .54 caliber balls as well as this small sabot the owner calls a "Pennsylvania Concial" which is also .50 caliber. The shop also has patches, powder and other muzzleloading stuff. The powder in stock is Swiss and Goex with the Goex being a limit of 2lbs he has 2f and 4f. The Goex is expensive I guess cause it cant be had right now. So as a someone starting out with one of these becoming my first flintlock rifle which is a good choice. The store owner told me that Thompson Center never got the flintlock right in his opinion. He said he always issues with ignition delays. The Pedersoli is pricey but is a lot cheaper than a new one due to it being used and the Tenn Mtn rifle is fairly priced imo. Just seeing if I can get some input from other forum members more experienced than me. Whichever rifle I pickup will be used hunting White Tail deer in Maryland's Appalachain Mountains. Thanks to everyone and anyone who gives their input.

If the Pedersoli is in your starting out range it might be the best working of the 3 but the Italian parts aren't easy to get now with their supply chain problems. Parts might not be an issue (lock parts) with this one your looking at and so far I've never had to replace any lock parts on any Pedersoli I've owned. Good luck, keep your eye out for estate sales in your area if this doesn't pan out!

I've found getting a "starter" anything can be more expensive than just buying one good anything from the gitgo. My first flinter was a TVM, probably not a thoroughbred, but not a starter either. It fit what I desired for a flintlock. Especially since I didn't want a cheek piece, which I paid for by having a non-descript rifle, so much for custom work.
That being said, what I'm not saying is that if it's down to finances I'm a big proponent of not using plastic, so no harm in buying what you can afford. Not a popular way to look at it by many, but I've gotten starter things which set me back from getting what I really wanted.
Again, if you're not sure if you'll like using a flintlock then by all means don't get in too deep. This advice is if you're sure you'll be staying with the hobby. As for used, with BP it really is buyer beware, inspect the gun carefully to be sure the previous owners cleaned the gun after use. Any residue left in any nook and/or cranny can do the gun real harm, rust never sleeps and is to the gun what cancer is to the body.

My first flintlock rifle is a Dixie squirrel rifle, 32 caliber. I didn't pay much for it, and I am still learning things using it 20 years later. I've had to replace the lock, but the rest is still going strong. The thing about these rifles is they don't fit or balance very well. They certainly look the part, but if you handle one then pick up a properly proportioned longrifle with a swamped barrel, the difference is pretty huge. So my advice is to see if you can test fit something like the Kibler, or other high quality rifle and compare that to what your gun shop has available. That may help steer you in your decision.

Having been in the same position you are in with this in the last year. Save yourself some money, time, frustration, etc. etc.. Buy a good one, buy what you really want.
I bought 2 discount flinters that both ended up being Pedersoli built and I'm not happy with either. Ended up with a Kibler Colonial and wish I'd put the money on the first two towards a second Kibler.
Live and learn I suppose.

Last time I posted was December of last year. I was looking at some rifles and most of them sold before I made my decision and when I finally did make a decision on the rifle I wanted the store owner said the seller raised his price cause it was being sold on consignment... it was way too high. Now I have been looking for a good starter Flintlock rifle before I upgrade to something like a Kibler or a custom rifle. Something I can learn on that wont set me back money wise like a Kibler will. I stopped in a gunshop (different shop from the last time I posted), mostly percussion rifles but he had a handful of flintlocks. Three that stood out were firstly, a Thompson Center Pennsylvania Hunter, this one is .50 caliber, flintlock, 32" Octagon to Round barrel. Second, a Pedersoli Jaeger Target model, .54 caliber, flintlock, 31" Octagon barrel. Last was a Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mountain Rifle, .50 caliber, flintlock, 41" octagon barrel. All three are in good shape, all three are used with the Dixie Gun Works and Pennsylvania Hunter showing the most use. The shop has .50 caliber balls and .54 caliber balls as well as this small sabot the owner calls a "Pennsylvania Concial" which is also .50 caliber. The shop also has patches, powder and other muzzleloading stuff. The powder in stock is Swiss and Goex with the Goex being a limit of 2lbs he has 2f and 4f. The Goex is expensive I guess cause it cant be had right now. So as a someone starting out with one of these becoming my first flintlock rifle which is a good choice. The store owner told me that Thompson Center never got the flintlock right in his opinion. He said he always issues with ignition delays. The Pedersoli is pricey but is a lot cheaper than a new one due to it being used and the Tenn Mtn rifle is fairly priced imo. Just seeing if I can get some input from other forum members more experienced than me. Whichever rifle I pickup will be used hunting White Tail deer in Maryland's Appalachain Mountains. Thanks to everyone and anyone who gives their input.
That gunshop is an exception, lots of gunshops around here do not know what BP is. Buy something and help support him.

I had a Pedersoli Jaeger. It was a fine little rifle. Fast ignition and very accurate. It had a 1:28 twist. People will try to tell you differently, but mine shot patched round balls and .540 minies beautifully. A large Siler lock can easily be fit into the mortise if the factory lock gives you any problems.

@PotomacRanger, all three rifles will have parts supply issues. A replacement lock can be had to resolve the T/C Penn Hunter lock issues. The Dixie rifle has been out of production for many years and the same for the T/C although some replacement parts can be found. Make sure the barrel is clean and none of the rifles are loaded. A patch with cleaning solution should be run down the barrel. It is likely that there will be old oils and greases in the bore and the cleaning patch will come out brown as if the barrel is full of rust. If the rifling is crisp and the cleaning patch follows the rifling, the brown crud is likely to be old, gelled oil.

The first part of the decision making has to be try holding each of the rifles. Choose the rifle that fits you best. Can you hold it on target? Admittedly, when hunting any available tree can and should be used for support.

Based on the descriptions, I would pay attention to the Pedersoli Jaeger. The 54 caliber is more than adequate for deer. It may well be the best handling rifle of the trio although the T/C rifle will handle well too.

Use the Swiss powder. In 3F, the powder can be used for the main charge as well as priming the pan. 2F powder can be used in the pan, but it is not as fast as 4F powder. If you can, get the 3F.

I cannot speak of the Pedersoli or DGW guns since I have not owned or fired them. I have/had owned quite a few TC's and currently my best shooter is a PA hunter in .50 cal. Will put both patched ball and the PA conical in same spot at 50 yds if I do my part right. Have heard some about TC's hammer issues, know they were selling 'revamped' hammers to correct them but as far as I know, all the ones i've owned were/are original hammers and can't say I have any complaints.

My experience with the rifles mentioned is with only one or two over the decades. For a long, long time my go-to deer rifle has been a wonderfully reliable and accurate late Lancaster and it is a beauty. Some may look down on the rifles caliber, a ,45, but I've never lost a deer with it and none ran very far with many DRT from the first shot.

So I have to agree that you should get what you want, and if you can't afford it right now, start saving any extra $$ you may need. Most importantly get what fits you, suits you and what wants to follow you home.

My above comment wasn't meant to be a knock on Pedersoli. They have made some darn nice rifles over the years, and I have owned a few, wish I still had a couple of them. My only experience with their flintlocks is the two I mentioned above, and they were made for other companies within the last couple of years and we all know what that's done to everything.

Latest posts

Back