• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking to get my first flintlock rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a .54 TC Hawken recently and I love it. I have been shooting and hunting with a .54 Lyman Deerstalker for the last 5 years I bought new. I think the 42 year old TC is actually a better shooting gun than my Lyman. As of now I have no interest in a Kibler or other custom gun mentioned not to mention I can't afford one atm...but I have wanted a TC Hawken for whatever reason and I finally got one and in a .54 to boot! I paid $480 for it and am more than pleased. I can't wait to kill a deer with it this season!

I usually hunt with a percussion muzzleloader. Typically my 1858 Enfield which is a Parker Hale Repro. Last year I looked for flintlocks but they were old junk people were selling for way too much money. I am looking for a rifle to hunt White Tail deer on the Potomac River in Sharpsburg, Maryland. Just deer no Bears, Lions or Tigers . A local gun shop/ gun smith that opened up two months ago has a few for sale and this time they aren't half bad. First for sale is a .45 Caliber Thompson Center Hawken made in 1970s. Its pretty dang clean and comes with 3 flints, I looked down with a bore scope and there is old storage crud in the barrel but nothing too bad, its on the rack for $375. Second for sale is a .45 Caliber ArmiSport Kentukian made in 1977. Bore is nice but the metal finish on the barrel is gone in some spots as it was only browned not blued. This one is on the rack for $300.00. Third is a .54 Caliber Thompson Center Renegade made in 1981. Bore has some old oil in it and some scratches in the wood stock. Definitely had some use as the frizzen has got some deep scratches in it. Rack price is $450 for this one. Last two the shop had was a 1980 World's Fair edition .50 caliber Thompson Center Hawken in 8/10 shape for $750 and an Investarm .54 Flintlock rifle date of mfg. and model unknown and no rear sight ( its missing but one can be put back on) for $400, rifle is also 8/10 condition. I like those Kiblers but I have never used a Flintlock so I want to get one to start on and If I like it I will get a Kibler Colonial. If I don't like it well I will go back to my percussion. Just want something to get broken in on first and then move up as a Kibler would definitely be a waste if I bought it and didn't enjoy using a flintlock. I dont have any "real powder" I used what little I have left and now only have pyrodex so I will have to get some powder probably 2F or 3F so I can use it in the pan and barrel. I also have no round balls or patches as I use .577 Pritchett balls I cast and make into paper cartridges I even make the little Pritchett bullet plug too... lol. Also on a side note that shop has a .36 Cal Flintlock Thompson Center Hawken and a .56 Cal smoothbore Renegade Thompson Center percussion. The shop owner said the .36 was a Green Mountain Custom order to fit the Thompson Center Hawken and the .56 the shop owner said he can change out the breech plug and make it into a flintlock. Is that possible to change the breech plug from a percussion to a flintlock on a Thompson Center ? Just asking as I was deciding on which one would make a good small game flintlock. Thanks to everyone who replies to this thread.
You are really thinking this one out well. I am happy to know there is still a thirst for knowledge in some people! The TCA for the $ would be an excellent start and learning tool. You won’t get hurt at all and can probably flip it if unhappy easily for a few $ more. Shoot it a lot and get familiar with it’s every aspect. This will definitely determine whether you enjoy it or not. You will know on the first boom , trust me! I loved it from the start, first shot a TCA .45 in 1971 with a close friend and mentor and never looked back. If you do enjoy you will certainly start educating yourself on the art of locking and you’ll find yourself developing a taste for a particular rifle or style yo make your own. Most importantly take your time, that’s all we have is time, do use it, experiment and enjoy it. I am still so enamored in the sport all these years later my wife is not too sure who I married, her or my .54 caliber Virginian.

I usually hunt with a percussion muzzleloader. Typically my 1858 Enfield which is a Parker Hale Repro. Last year I looked for flintlocks but they were old junk people were selling for way too much money. I am looking for a rifle to hunt White Tail deer on the Potomac River in Sharpsburg, Maryland. Just deer no Bears, Lions or Tigers . A local gun shop/ gun smith that opened up two months ago has a few for sale and this time they aren't half bad. First for sale is a .45 Caliber Thompson Center Hawken made in 1970s. Its pretty dang clean and comes with 3 flints, I looked down with a bore scope and there is old storage crud in the barrel but nothing too bad, its on the rack for $375. Second for sale is a .45 Caliber ArmiSport Kentukian made in 1977. Bore is nice but the metal finish on the barrel is gone in some spots as it was only browned not blued. This one is on the rack for $300.00. Third is a .54 Caliber Thompson Center Renegade made in 1981. Bore has some old oil in it and some scratches in the wood stock. Definitely had some use as the frizzen has got some deep scratches in it. Rack price is $450 for this one. Last two the shop had was a 1980 World's Fair edition .50 caliber Thompson Center Hawken in 8/10 shape for $750 and an Investarm .54 Flintlock rifle date of mfg. and model unknown and no rear sight ( its missing but one can be put back on) for $400, rifle is also 8/10 condition. I like those Kiblers but I have never used a Flintlock so I want to get one to start on and If I like it I will get a Kibler Colonial. If I don't like it well I will go back to my percussion. Just want something to get broken in on first and then move up as a Kibler would definitely be a waste if I bought it and didn't enjoy using a flintlock. I dont have any "real powder" I used what little I have left and now only have pyrodex so I will have to get some powder probably 2F or 3F so I can use it in the pan and barrel. I also have no round balls or patches as I use .577 Pritchett balls I cast and make into paper cartridges I even make the little Pritchett bullet plug too... lol. Also on a side note that shop has a .36 Cal Flintlock Thompson Center Hawken and a .56 Cal smoothbore Renegade Thompson Center percussion. The shop owner said the .36 was a Green Mountain Custom order to fit the Thompson Center Hawken and the .56 the shop owner said he can change out the breech plug and make it into a flintlock. Is that possible to change the breech plug from a percussion to a flintlock on a Thompson Center ? Just asking as I was deciding on which one would make a good small game flintlock. Thanks to everyone who replies to this thread.
Speaking of priming the pan, 4F is made for that And it burns fast enough to make a difference. Larger grains aren’t so good. Maybe you can go in with another member in your area and get some. I use it a lot but am too far to help you.

Over the years I have owned and used several Thompson Center percussion rifles. Every one of them performed well. However, about 2 years ago, I acquired a Pedersoli, Missouri River, Hawken percussion rifle in 45 caliber. It outperforms every T/C rifle I have ever owned. (Of course, it cost 3 times as much as any of the T/C's.) Last weekend I sold my last T/C rifle at Swapper's Day in Johnstown, Ohio.
Stephen, I have 2 TC Hawkens and 2 Traditions Hawkens. If the TC's were still made they would go for double the price of the Trads new. The Traditions whip the TC's in performance-slightly better accuracy and way more consistent and reliable ignition. The Traditions are pretty light duty in comparative construction and I think the TC's will hold up longer. Especially with a steady diet of heavy loads. SW

Flintlock Pistol.. We need help identifying what century this flintlock pistol is from!!! 1700’s -1800’s ??. Hopefully somebody can help identify this for us.. Much would be appreciated.. We picked this up from an estate sale. Attached are some pictures of the pistol..

Thanking you in advanced
Monique and Richard

Attachments

• 20240111_181202_HDR.jpg
    20240111_181202_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240111_180427_HDR.jpg
    20240111_180427_HDR.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240111_180353_HDR.jpg
    20240111_180353_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240111_180442_HDR.jpg
    20240111_180442_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240111_180359_HDR.jpg
    20240111_180359_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240111_180459_HDR.jpg
    20240111_180459_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240111_180509_HDR.jpg
    20240111_180509_HDR.jpg
  • 20240111_180509_HDR.jpg
    20240111_180509_HDR.jpg
  • 20240111_180353_HDR.jpg
    20240111_180353_HDR.jpg
  • 20240111_180700_HDR.jpg
    20240111_180700_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Flintlock Pistol.. We need help identifying what century this flintlock pistol is from!!! 1700’s -1800’s ??. Hopefully somebody can help identify this for us.. Much would be appreciated.. We picked this up from an estate sale. Attached are some pictures of the pistol..

Thanking you in advanced
Monique and Richard
This is a recent Spanish made replica but not to be shot. This is a wall hanger. Please do not load this with powder. The metal does not seem to be steer except for the screw heads.

Thanking you in advanced
Monique and Richard
Wrong thread entirely. Why post this here? Thanks for joining this forum. Maybe start at the introduction thread

Latest posts

Back