• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Picture Thread. Please Post!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I could say I did! I have scoured the gun all over and have not found any maker's mark or signature of any kind. I will look under the barrel and buttplate next. Whoever made it, must have been very particular! Very well made piece.

If anyone has pics of a Jim Chambers Pennsylvania Fowler, I'd love to see it. Considering one, as my options as a left hander are a bit more limited.

Oh, I wouldn't let that hinder me in any way. I'm left handed, too. Been saving up my coin for a French fusil of one sort or another. And they're all right handed.

So I stopped and considered that:
  • fusil stocks are symetrical. They have no cheek piece
  • The man who shoots a side by side flintlock fowling piece has a lock inches away from his nose no matter whether he's a port side shooter or not

So I sez to myself "Self....fagedabboudit."

Ya, Mountain Dewd is actually left handed and this rifle he just purchased and posted pics of is a right handed one . . . he says it is not an issue.

I am going to Friendship in a couple weeks and will look at some RH rifles . . and will consider a RH . .frankly on the Chambers Penn Fowler, he uses an round face or virginia fowler lock but on the left version he uses a large Siler which is not very "fowler' looking. . so the RH version is a little prettier in my view.

Correct. I really do not notice a difference, especially given the stock geometry is symmetrical. I almost like the the lock on the other side, for some reason, my eye is less tempted to focus on it.

Mac1967 said:
If anyone has pics of a Jim Chambers Pennsylvania Fowler, I'd love to see it. Considering one, as my options as a left hander are a bit more limited.
I believe most all the guns Chambers makes, including the PA fowler, have 1/4" cast off so that would make it 1/4" cast on when shooting them left handed. BTW, I had one of his PA. fowlers years ago and I didn't like the cast off. It whacked me pretty good so I sold it.

Uugh . . . . I don't like hearing that . . . I am not set in stone on the Chambers' Fowler . . .I'd like a smoothie . . . don't have one . . .I'm as interested in shot as much as I am ball. Have thought a lot about a TVM or Sitting Fox Virginia style smooth bore with an oct to round or a straight O in .62 (20g), too.

Can't go wrong with TVM. I guess you're not too wild about NW trade guns? You can get that nice kit from Track. Or, have you taken a look at Clay Smith's offerings?

Not sure what I think of the trade guns . . . don't do so much for me I guess . . . but I'll keep my eye open for one I can hold at Friendship next weekend and see what I think

Keb said:
Mac1967 said:
I believe most all the guns Chambers makes, including the PA fowler, have 1/4" cast off so that would make it 1/4" cast on when shooting them left handed. BTW, I had one of his PA. fowlers years ago and I didn't like the cast off. It whacked me pretty good so I sold it.

Hey guys...
I am 99% sure that my fowling piece began life as a Chambers' New England kit. I don't believe that it has any cast-off. There is a picture of it earlier in this tread and am very well pleased with it....Mick

Don't take my word for it, follow this link to Chambers site & read the description of the PA fowler for yourself. It clearly says 1/4" cast off. The one I had back 20+ years ago definitely had cast off.
Chambers PA fowler link.

Very well made, indeed!

Since it's pedigree is apparently in question, if you are excessively troubled by it's possibly scandalous past, I might be prevailled upon to take it into my home and care for it as my own at no expense to yourself.

My 20gauge trade rifle I completed this past winter, excellent shooter and a pure blast to make smoke with.

dOU0WK5.jpg

36fjxtI.jpg

KbJkhow.jpg

SO4BmT8.jpg

uvm8uz0.jpg

That's beautiful . . . well decorated . . .looks like it just jumped off the screen of "The Last of the Mohicans" . . . Did Madeline Stowe come with the kit? If so, I'll buy one.

smoothshooter said:
Very well made, indeed!

Since it's pedigree is apparently in question, if you are excessively troubled by it's possibly scandalous past, I might be prevailled upon to take it into my home and care for it as my own at no expense to yourself.

You have a big heart my friend! For now, though, I think I will get along by just not asking too many personal questions. :haha:

No sling, just threw that on there quickly for a trip into the woods.

Off hand, it's far more accurate than I am!

Placed a turtle blade front sight on, along with tapping out the tear tang screw to line up evenly with the front blade.

Latest posts

Back