• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Smoothbore Picture Thread. Please Post!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This R. Wilson inspired gun was manufactured by Caywood Gunmakers, and is my first successful attempt at building. She's a pure joy to shoot.
[

22f0a93faca361b1d61f95b6156d1845.jpg

570433dfa839fb70a119eed60ae011c4.jpg

eb6550b142ce166039f48ffa6bc91b99.jpg

Congratulate me, boys! This is the first time I have successfully posted pix on the forum! :grin:

Nice job !! I am doing my first build too, so I know how hard it is . . but rewarding too.

At least you got the lock on the correct side . . I see so many great builds that get that one step wrong (ha !! )

Nice fowler lock too . . who made it?

It's all from Caywood. That is a good lock, too. And I think they sell it separately. But you might check first.

Yeah, I have a good buddy who teases me mercilessly about having the lock on the wrong side. Of course I always tell him that everyone is born right handed. Only the truly gifted overcome it. :rotf:

Crewdawg, Thanks to your sharing I believe I've found a use for my 36" .50 cal oct-rnd GM barrel, and lock that I got from a friend! Never thought about a trade -rifle-! My Native American ancestors would surely approve. My Native heritage is Micmac, Abenaki, Choctaw, Cherokee. I wonder how many of them carried a gun similar to yours, and were they rifled? I understand the People liked smoothbores for all around use. I believe your rifled trade gun is a good gun for me to emulate since I can't hold up much with my left hand. Thanks for your example. George. P.S., Thanks for the video of your family around the grandfather drum. Be blessed.

I have really enjoyed people sharing the pics of their smooth rifles, fowlers, shotguns, pistols and trade guns !!

New toy. Double barrelled 10g Belgian goose gun. German silver mounts, ridiculously heavy and converted to take musket caps. Very silly indeed, I paid much too much for it but no regrets :rotf: :thumbsup:

clunker.jpg

NWTF Longhunter, I was interested to see your Jackie Brown pistol. I believe it is the same type as mine, and the first one I've seen since I got mine in 1998.

Spence

Mac1967 said:
Are going to hunt geese with that goose gun ? That would be pretty neat !!

I never hunt anything, but thanks for thinking I might. Makes me sound like a real back woods man :thumbsup:

My cousin jokes with me saying the problem with hunting geese is that you might get one and have to eat it.

Goes along with a long joke of a detailed recipe for goose breast cooked on a cedar plank . which ends with now throw away the goose and eat the plank.

While I'm on this picture taking kick, herewith are the contents of the bag that accompanies my Wilson fusil
b6bf2ba4392b52b8d2d82168fe3ea2a1.jpg

L.to R. the bag of elk hide with strap from Wilde Weavery; drawstring bag containing .610" ball, a few wads of tow; a tool wallet containing a ball screw, turn screw, an extra gun flint, and gun worm; just above and to the right, a much used vent pick, a folding knife, and my powder horn with a 60 gr. antler charger tied to the shoulder string.

Squire Robin said:
New toy. Double barrelled 10g Belgian goose gun. German silver mounts, ridiculously heavy and converted to take musket caps. Very silly indeed, I paid much too much for it but no regrets :rotf: :thumbsup:

clunker.jpg
------------------------------------------------------

Squire Robin..any chance of posting more of your double???...Love those dbl.bbls for waterfowling!

10 ga. fowler.38" Rice oct-round tapered and flared
cyl bore-steel trim-horn cap-chambers lock--in Walnut
Kit from Dunlaps woodcrafts,
Ducks,geese,doves,woodcock,grouse,bunnies,squirrels,crow,turkeys---does it all....pride and joy
a pleasure to hunt...
Maiden dove hunt...

IMG_03531_zps19463aec.jpg

first grouse..what a thrill!
IMG_0238_zpse85eb694.jpg

At the forks of the Flambeau river--Gods Country!
5b8e8b3a-9660-461d-9fee-7afac42cdfa8_zps0b5b14ad.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back