• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothin out da smoothbore ummm..... bore !! :D

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s nice and shiny! Is the bore consistent? I use adjustable reamers on bad bores.

I built a gun off of one of those barrels and it had a restriction about 4-5" up from the breech end that made it difficult to seat a patched ball. I ended up having to ream it out and polish the bore with a 9/16" x 320 grit dingleberry hone soldered into a steel rod.

Here's what the reamer pulled out on the first pass after being adjusted to a snug slide fit in the muzzle:

20230829_194144.jpg

I built a gun off of one of those barrels and it had a restriction about 4-5" up from the breech end that made it difficult to seat a patched ball. I ended up having to ream it out and polish the bore with a 9/16" x 320 grit dingleberry hone soldered into a steel rod.

Here's what the reamer pulled out on the first pass after being adjusted to a snug slide fit in the muzzle:

View attachment 264465
My 28 gauge from JB is pretty rough so when the weather cooperates I’m gonna give Rob’s technique a try see if I can get as good as he got slim.
I’ve noticed it takes a lot more patches to clean than it does for slim.(24gauge)Might not be till spring but well let you all know how it went.

My 28 gauge from JB is pretty rough so when the weather cooperates I’m gonna give Rob’s technique a try see if I can get as good as he got slim.
I’ve noticed it takes a lot more patches to clean than it does for slim.(24gauge)Might not be till spring but well let you all know how it went.
Hey bud ...did ya ever do this ? Polish out yer barrel bore ? Was wonderin if it helped ya out any , made a difference ....

Hey bud ...did ya ever do this ? Polish out yer barrel bore ? Was wonderin if it helped ya out any , made a difference ....
I haven’t found a dowel yet but sure plan on doing it in the spring as soon as weather permits as I don’t heat my little shop in the winter but we’ll let you know when it’s done .👍

This is a very useful tutorial, thanks! I am assuming that when choosing the proper size dowel, you want it nearly the diameter of the bore and just loose enough to allow for sand paper, wool etc. I would image that using a dowel too undersized for the bore may create a lot of wobble? Or does the dowel diameter really matter all that much for this process???

Also, wanted to add that since I have seen this reaming process work so well, I can now just clean my barrels annually!

This is a very useful tutorial, thanks! I am assuming that when choosing the proper size dowel, you want it nearly the diameter of the bore and just loose enough to allow for sand paper, wool etc. I would image that using a dowel too undersized for the bore may create a lot of wobble? Or does the dowel diameter really matter all that much for this process???

Also, wanted to add that since I have seen this reaming process work so well, I can now just clean my barrels annually!
Hey bud ...actually I just used a ramrod I had laying around the shop , it just happened to be a good size for the first run of wet / dry paper , just fits for the .58 barrels but even and undersized rod will work ... Sure making cleaning and loading a lot easier , slicker ...

Hey bud ...actually I just used a ramrod I had laying around the shop , it just happened to be a good size for the first run of wet / dry paper , just fits for the .58 barrels but even and undersized rod will work ... Sure making cleaning and loading a lot easier , slicker ...
I found a store in town has 1/2” dowel 4’ long that should be perfect cause JC measures .560 kinda big for a 28 gauge plus I have the rest needed already.

I looked up a wheel cylinder hone today. I saw them as cheap as $13 and they come with the stones.

Yeah I’m in that foreign country called Canada and if we want any thing especially for guns we have to order from our neighbours in the USA.
Pretty sad I gotta say but it is what it is .😞
What ?! Smuggling gun parts across international borders ?! Thats just wrong !! LMAO !!! :D Windchimes are just fine though , right Walt ?! Ya ole wind chime maker you ! LOL !! .... and antique " locks " :)

Last edited:
I made a hone years ago to smooth smoothbore's. In another thread I caught a lot of grief for using it to make a smoothbore out of a rifle. I use crankshaft paper and 3M Scotch brite pads to finish. The abrasives are held tight against the bore by a spring.
View attachment 277797
Breach plug removed??? Going after a fired, not cleaned and put away rifled barrel that is otherwise JUNK. The lands are GONE from corrosion so nothing to loose at this point.
I might be able to bring it back to (usable as a smooth bore) condition. Got nothing but time so the cost won't be much.

Latest posts

Back