• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothin out da smoothbore ummm..... bore !! :D

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on finishing a gun with a barrel, just like this one. Its been lapped, and it loads a PRB Smoothbore as silk. Great posts Rob.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1704502662665.jpg
    FB_IMG_1704502662665.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 0
Let us know bud ! :)
Well I finally did it sorry no pictures it took both my crippled hands to do it ,two passes with 220 sand paper and a few passes with oooosteel wool .
And low and behold the weather went from nice out to Alberta spring storms so when I get out to try it I well let you all know if it’s in fact easier to clean like my 24 (slim) is .stay tuned more to come

Only two passes .... Uhmmmm..... Hope it cleaned up ok..... I go slow as all get out , the in and out , but the ole drill just a flying ! , and do a dozen passes in and out ... Fine paper , 150, 220 , then all the grits of steel wool I got , ending in 0000 .. Hope it looks like a mirror in there and loads and cleans better bud ....

Only two passes .... Uhmmmm..... Hope it cleaned up ok..... I go slow as all get out , the in and out , but the ole drill just a flying ! , and do a dozen passes in and out ... Fine paper , 150, 220 , then all the grits of steel wool I got , ending in 0000 .. Hope it looks like a mirror in there and loads and cleans better bud ....
Well if at first you don’t succeed try again and that I may have to do but I’ll get it cause given up isn’t in my vocabulary.I guess we’ll see when I go to clean it next time fingers crossed if not do it again and get aggressive.

Well if at first you don’t succeed try again and that I may have to do but I’ll get it cause given up isn’t in my vocabulary.I guess we’ll see when I go to clean it next time fingers crossed if not do it again and get aggressive.
Well I re did it with some emery and steel wool till my arms were getting tired must be out a shape or something and it’s shines know ,but them 2 big scratches in the barrel are still there .I think they come from the builder because I’ve heard comments before about them in Jackie’s gun barrels .Know all I have to do is go shoot it and see how it cleans up ,more to to come in near future so stay tuned.

Very cool bud !! Can't wait till ya go shootin !! Hope you post how happy ya are with the way the gun loaded and cleaned up easier than before !! :)

Very cool bud !! Can't wait till ya go shootin !! Hope you post how happy ya are with the way the gun loaded and cleaned up easier than before !! :)
So today I went to the range to see how my barrel job went I shot probably 30 rounds threw my 28 g after polishing the bore and it took about 12 patches to clean it .I did notice the rough spot I used ta have wasn’t there and it loaded nice and smooth .So I tried using the charge to see if it would make a difference but the tin can doesn’t lie an nor does the pattern . I also tried different cards and still the best was with the cornmeal go figure .I would like your in put if you think 12 patches to clean after 30 shots is okay or not .oh I hope you like the pictures .

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpeg
    IMG_0286.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0285.jpeg
    IMG_0285.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0284.jpeg
    IMG_0284.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
So today I went to the range to see how my barrel job went I shot probably 30 rounds threw my 28 g after polishing the bore and it took about 12 patches to clean it .I did notice the rough spot I used ta have wasn’t there and it loaded nice and smooth .So I tried using the charge to see if it would make a difference but the tin can doesn’t lie an nor does the pattern . I also tried different cards and still the best was with the cornmeal go figure .I would like your in put if you think 12 patches to clean after 30 shots is okay or not .oh I hope you like the pictures .
So I also took slim my 24 gauge to the range and shot it about 10 or 15 times and ended up useing more powder as the tin can doesn’t lie .With it I shot 50 grains of 2 f and about 65 grains of shot (7 1/2 shot) I tried the same as the 28 gauge but it didn’t do justice to the tin can and it took about 7 patches to clean doesn’t really matter how much you shoot it . Oh I don’t clean till I’m done shooting so they are a little dirty specially using 2 f as neither one like 3 f for some the pattern open up considerably using it compared to 2f . I haven’t gotten to round ball yet as I’ve been working on shot loads and think I have it finally.🙂 With that being said I would like to thank every one I pesteredover the past well for your help and specially Rob M for his help with building slim and fixing my pan on my 28 gauge so it got better ignition and all the other learning issues I had.Again thankyou all for your help and support and know that it was and is much appreciated.Walt

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpeg
    IMG_0283.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0282.jpeg
    IMG_0282.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0281.jpeg
    IMG_0281.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0280.jpeg
    IMG_0280.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Rob, I recognize that barrel. I have several I bought years ago, both the 16 and 24 bore.
Mine are about 28", IIRC.
I'd like to build an 1830's Cavalry Musketoon, maybe soon. I think a half stock blank might work. I need breech plugs, but I think I can make them.

Well I finally did it sorry no pictures it took both my crippled hands to do it ,two passes with 220 sand paper and a few passes with oooosteel wool .
And low and behold the weather went from nice out to Alberta spring storms so when I get out to try it I well let you all know if it’s in fact easier to clean like my 24 (slim) is .stay tuned more to come
Hey Walt, what part of Alberta? I'm in Rocky Mtn. House.

Latest posts

Back