• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

smoothbore help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ive got a JRA 2 band 69 smoothie that i hope to shoot in NSSA but it shoots low and left how do i correct some of this other than holding off a mile? Any help appreciated

I'm unfamiliar w/this musket , but if it has a front barrel band , a new filable , front sight can be soldered onto the top of the band. To bring the hits up on target , file the sight down , to lower the hits , use a taller piece of metal for the sight. To move the hits left/right , center punch the new position and remove and resolder the sight metal. Tedious , but works good.

Bend the barrel. That's how this problem was solved for the last 300 years.

Barrel straightening fixture.jpg

NO sight modifications are allowed for smoothbore competition. I have found the front bands sometimes have a poor fit and can be twisted a little and shimmed with cardboard to make things better. Otherwise, bending the barrel is your only other option.

Bend the barrel. That's how this problem was solved for the last 300 years.

... and here I thought you guys were just giving a newbie a hard time (as per usual for The Evil One), but I guess the joke is on me, 'cuz I googled it, and it's for real.

Back