• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small Game Load for Pedersoli Classic .12

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First squirrel killed with my Pedersoli Classic SxS .12. 75 grains of FFG and 1 1/8 ounce of a #7 and #8 lead shot mix. Worked well. What size shot do you prefer for small game?

Attachments

• 63D37249-9595-4AED-A78A-7EB5DFEF0AFF.jpeg
    63D37249-9595-4AED-A78A-7EB5DFEF0AFF.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 151
Right now I'm using #6 shot for squirrel and turkey since I got a few pounds of it free. It works fine. 7 always worked good but 8 never seemed to have enough range for squirrels up high.

I use #6 because that’s what happened to be available at the local gun shop when I first got my CVA shotgun. Works pretty well on rabbits, squirrels, and snowshoe hares. Just picked up some #5 from RotoMetals since my #6 supply is getting low.

I use #6 because that’s what happened to be available at the local gun shop when I first got my CVA shotgun. Works pretty well on rabbits, squirrels, and snowshoe hares. Just picked up some #5 from RotoMetals since my #6 supply is getting low.
I’ve got an order in with Rotometals for some bismuth #4 shot for duck. They are backlogged like everyone else at the moment.

Congratulations on your squirrel! That is a great looking shotgun. I have been using mostly #5 shot in my cylinder bore 12 gauge. I like 4 through 6 the best for small game with 5 being about perfect. I load 1 and 1/4 to 1 and 1/2 ounces of shot with 80 to 90 grains of 2f or 70 to 80 grains of 3f. I like to wad with tow and the heavier shot charges help with getting enough pellets on target. To be honest I can get a better and more consistent pattern using 2 thin cards over powder and 1 thin card over shot. I just like using natural wadding whenever possible. Good luck.

Does your shotgun have screw in chokes? I find it hard to load the fiber over powder wad. Been using 2 wonder wads but i would like to try some plastic wads for turkey hunting. I worry about the petals catching on the choke and the whole thing blowing up. I got the shotgun from Cabalas in 2000, 12 guage double bbl. Any advice? thanks.

Does your shotgun have screw in chokes? I find it hard to load the fiber over powder wad. Been using 2 wonder wads but i would like to try some plastic wads for turkey hunting. I worry about the petals catching on the choke and the whole thing blowing up. I got the shotgun from Cabalas in 2000, 12 guage double bbl. Any advice? thanks.
Mine does have screws in chokes. I haven’t had problems as I use cylinder bore, improved cylinder and modified so far. I’ve heard folks talk about taking the tube out, loading and screwing it back in. I don’t have experience with that though. Sorry sir.

My experience...any shot size will work 20 to 25 yds. 30 yds or so 7 1/2 just knock them off the limb/tree or rolls them over just to run away. 5 or 6 works best over all for a kill shot for squirrles rabbits or birds

I am partial to #6 shot for rabbits, squirrel, quail and pheasant, #4 for larger. I shoot 75 grain FF and 1&1/8 ounce shot as well,. in my 12 gauge.With #7@1/2 shot for the clay birds.

Mine has full/modified ,I use the Sky chief load (modified ) I use 2 Dura Felt dry over powder and one saturated (Olive oil) wad over a 1 1/4 oz load of 6 shot ,a 9 inch at 25 yd paper plate is dead !! The felts slip right by the screw in chokes and do the same job (only better) as cards kept flipping !

Attachments

• IMG_0232[1].JPG
    IMG_0232[1].JPG
    106 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
My all around favorite all purpose small game load for 12 Ga. is , 1 1/8 Oz. # 5 shot w/ same dipper by volume as the shot of FFG black powder . One .125 card wad on top the powder , and a 1/16 " card on top of the shot. Shotgun has a cyl. bore , both barrels. Pedersoli

Back