• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED 20 Gauge Shotgun Ammo - lead shot, buckshot, round balls, etc

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sound Tribe

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello I have a muzzleloader shotgun that is new to me. It's a Pedersoli Classic SxS Double Barrel 20 gauge. There are various loads that I want to try out and test.

I'd prefer lead only and don't really need any huge amounts but there are a few sizes/types I could use and would help me save a few bucks and shipping costs
(You can use a flat rate box to avoid pricing by weight)

Lead shot, round balls (slugs), buck & ball (paper shotshells)
Also interested in paper cartridges for the buck&ball and/or shotshells, willing to buy pre-mades or the kits/materials to make them and the plastic shot shells/hulls too

#7.5, #7, or #6 lead shot
would be best but willing to try pretty much any sizes

#4 buck shot would be best but willing to try any size for different buck n ball loads
some buck shot sizes are essentially the same as smaller round balls used in 32 caliber pocket pistols and small bore rifles... such as 0 buck is .320" diameter, 00 is .330", and 000 is .360

20 gauge = .62 caliber, round balls with diameters around .610" to .570"

In addition to lead pellets/balls I could also use more "over shot" cards

Thanks

(This size chart help's me remember what's what and incase you have some RB or pellets of these sizes:)
1710723335227.jpeg

You will need 19 gauge wads for this piece. (I have one.)

ADK Bigfoot
I have some felt wads and over powder cards already but I made a post in the smoothbore section trying to figure out what is best for this specific model.

I was told to forget wads+over powder cards and just use over shot cards only (2x over powder and 1x over shot)

But since I already have some of the others I plan to experiment with different setups, just missing the over shot cards. I got them free from a friend, it's just labeled "20gauge" by hand but I have read 19gauge works well. My gun is apparently 1 barrel cylinder bore and 1 barrel is modified

And maybe if you get some time and want to PM me what type of load (wads/cards, powder, and shot amounts) you normally use and best place to source all this stuff...that'd be great

Thanks

75 grains 3F powder, nitro card, fiber cushion wad, one ounce shot, overshot wad. I tried the soaked cushion wad over the over-shot wad, but only tried it for two shots. Seemed to improve the cylinder bore barrel. For round balls, I used two diameter bare balls: .600 for the modified barrel and .615 for the cylinder barrel. Shot to point of aim both barrels.

ADK Bigfoot

QUOTE="Sound Tribe, post: 2581878, member: 62032"]
I have some felt wads and over powder cards already but I made a post in the smoothbore section trying to figure out what is best for this specific model.

I was told to forget wads+over powder cards and just use over shot cards only (2x over powder and 1x over shot)

But since I already have some of the others I plan to experiment with different setups, just missing the over shot cards. I got them free from a friend, it's just labeled "20gauge" by hand but I have read 19gauge works well. My gun is apparently 1 barrel cylinder bore and 1 barrel is modified

And maybe if you get some time and want to PM me what type of load (wads/cards, powder, and shot amounts) you normally use and best place to source all this stuff...that'd be great

Thanks
[/QUOTE]

75 grains 3F powder, nitro card, fiber cushion wad, one ounce shot, overshot wad. I tried the soaked cushion wad over the over-shot wad, but only tried it for two shots. Seemed to improve the cylinder bore barrel. For round balls, I used two diameter bare balls: .600 for the modified barrel and .615 for the cylinder barrel. Shot to point of aim both barrels.

ADK Bigfoot
Thank you!

So yeah anyone with shot, round ball, or wads/cards send me a PM please

If you are not wanting a lot the best bet is to buy 20 shot shells and cut them open for the buckshot and loose bird shot. I have 3 Pedersoli's 20 ga's. 2 SXS flinters and 1 percussion. I use leather wads for over shot wads and wool felt wads for under the shot and over the shot. The felt is lubed with bees wax and olive oil. I get great patterns out to 40 yards. 75 grains 3Fg. 1 or 2 leather wads over powder. 1 lubed felt 1/4 ". Shot charge. Then another 1/4" lubed felt over the shot to seal the bore. Be happy to share some if you pay the postage.

A 5/8's hole punch will punch out all the right size cards you need for your 20 gauge. If you are having trouble finding shot to try, you can always buy some inexpensive boxes of shotshells in the shot sizes you want to try. Most shells are already 1 ounce weight or 1 1/8th ounce weight so your shot is already premeasured. Just cut the end off the shot shell and pour it down the barrel. That saves you the cost of buying a 10 pound bag until you know what shot size you want to use. You can fill the empty shot shell with confetti and light them off on New Years eve.
Ohio Rusty ><>

A 5/8's hole punch will punch out all the right size cards you need for your 20 gauge. If you are having trouble finding shot to try, you can always buy some inexpensive boxes of shotshells in the shot sizes you want to try. Most shells are already 1 ounce weight or 1 1/8th ounce weight so your shot is already premeasured. Just cut the end off the shot shell and pour it down the barrel. That saves you the cost of buying a 10 pound bag until you know what shot size you want to use. You can fill the empty shot shell with confetti and light them off on New Years eve.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Good idea haha. I wasn't sure if the shot inside was any different. I have some regular old 12gauge shells I might check that with.

Still looking for some cheap lead shot, #4 buck shot, or ~.600" round balls though

Last edited:
Ohio Rusty ><>
Be careful about using cut shotshells like that. I responded to a person needing help call. Someone had cut shells, but a few pellets had stuck to the wad.
True they were pointing guns the wrong direction, but that's another problem.
Everyone turned out ok, but important lessons learned.
I inspected the other shells and saw pellets in almost every load, stuck to the wad

There is a member in this section selling 20 gauge equipment and shot. His post was right below your post, but this will drive your to the top.
Good luck.
Yep I believe I have been in touch with him for a few days now, he is getting back to me based on his supply. Appreciate you looking out

Back